The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:59 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 511 Next
 Post subject: Re: General Work Rants
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

We had a new guy start as our Accounts Payable in June, as out AP person was retiring. All good.

He had a couple of days off soon after he started as his parents were visiting. That's cool. That was planned before he got a new job, so fair enough.

Then he was off sick for two days - genuine, as the AP person he had been training with got as sick as a dog, and gave it to him. Then he had a couple of personal half days to get his son vaccinated, and go to his "graduation" (he's 6, FFS). Then last week he was sick again. Then today, he asks for two more days off - Friday, because it's his birthday, and Tuesday, because it's the kids' first day of real school.

Dude hasn't even finished his probationary period yet, and he's already had almost two weeks off.

So I put my foot down, and denied him his birthday off. I said it wasn't customary (which it isn't, everyone else in this dept turns up on their birthdays), and that he's already had a number of absent days since he started. I couldn't very well say no on the first day of school thing, although I don't really see why, if he did the drop off in the am, his wife couldn't pick the kid up in the afternoon. She's a hairstylist and works from home - so just don't book appointments for that time, easy. Apparently she'll be doing it every other day, so why this day is different, I don't know.

I really hope this guy isn't going to turn into a problem employee. Parents with young kids are the fucking worst.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:13 am 

^ Sounds like it's time to start keeping notes (times and dates) on this one........I don't get it, you'd be bending over backwards to make a good impression when you first start, especially when you're in your probationary period when you can get booted out without explanation.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:17 am 

AGH! I have cost and retail updates (I work in Pricebook for a large convenience store chain) due tomorrow, and the system we use keeps freezing up! I'm too disorganized for this shit this month. I took on a new Business Unit 2 weeks ago, which added about 76 more stores to my original 169. I really need to do better next month. I have anxiety right now and want it to all go away!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:45 am 

Oh, for fuck's sake...

We had a tasking come in two months ago from outside our group. It's a paperwork task, for internal auditing, so that means a lot of fuss for something that's not that big a deal.

I offered to do it when it came in, but my manager said he'd do it, since as manager, he'd have to sign off on it anyway.

Now, the auditors just contacted me looking for this, because now it's overdue. I forwarded it to my manager, saying "I think you were doing this, let me know if you want me to respond with a status."

What'd I get back? "Hey, go ahead and take care of this, I forgot all about it. Thanks."

Now I'm stuck with a PITA overdue tasking that's even more of a PITA, because it now requires additional work since, you guessed it, it's over-fucking-due.

:facepalm:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:06 pm 

This week at work can easily be summed up using a line from one of my favorite Youbers, Taliesin - "It was a shit show, obviously. It's Promotion Period. I got swamped with spreadsheets from each vendor I work with, I got 2 extremely last-minutes promos, and stores are somehow receiving cases of M&M ice cream sandwiches which they're not even authorized for *hard eyeroll*. And I'm not even going to go into the whole "are these vendors merged or not WTF" crap. At least I wont have to do this again til November :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

Almond if you don't like that you can come out west and help me migrate Windows 7 computers to Windows 10. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:41 am 

Dammit, I miss the bathrooms at our old building.

We moved buildings this summer. Great, we get to be in a nice new building, yay! But I find myself missing the old one - especially, the bathrooms.

The old building was a residential building previously (apartments). Our department was spread out over a few units, and each unit had 2 bathrooms. This resulted in a ratio about about 4:1 employees to bathrooms. No lineups, and, blessedly, the bathrooms STAYED CLEAN.

Our new building is offices and classrooms, meaning we share it - and the bathrooms - with students. And the ratio of bathroom stalls to users here is much, much higher - if I had to guess I'd say maybe 50:1. So there are lineups at busy times, and they bathrooms get freaking gross. Yesterday I went to use the bathroom and there was pee on the seats in multiple stalls, and in one stall, the toilet and floor were covered in hair. It looked as though someone had shaved a small animal in there. Like, short, black, shaved-off hair all over the place. WTF?

So now I've taken to walking up two floors to use the bathrooms. There are only offices on that floor (no classrooms), so there's fewer people using each bathroom and they're cleaner. But seriously - people are gross. I just want to pee somewhere that's reasonably clean - is that too much to ask?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:06 pm 

^^^ I routinely see clipped hairs adorning the toilet seats in our bathrooms. My only guess is that someone's trimming his pubes (and during work hours to boot). :lol:

My other bathroom WTF is why, in every single men's room I've been in around the world, are there boogers wiped on the walls on either side of the urinals. Why?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:17 pm 

Oh. Mygod. At work we've been dealing with state fair tickets. I've been dealing with the ones for the Southeast BU, which covers about half of NC and SC. First of all, they were the biggest pain in the ass to set up in the first place, back in July. Then the costs were changed a few weeks ago, so that somehow became a whole deal in itself. Then just a few days ago, my SE sites got pushed out of the retail rule when the sites for another BU (Business Unit) were entered, because my sites weren't copied over. Which meant I got tickets from nearly all the sites asking why they weren't ringing up. And today, the vendor for the tickets was deactivated by Accounting, because apparently the vendor info wasn't set up correctly, so they added a new vendor without telling us. We're the ones who have to add the sites to each vendor, so if we don't know there's been an info change, shit is gonna hit the fan.
So sites are once again sending in tickets letting us know the fair tickets aren't scanning.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:46 am 

We rolled out a new system in May, a four-year effort. It sucked.

One of the biggest suckages is that with the old system, I had complete access to everything, because I had to support it and administer it. There was nothing I couldn't do.

In the four years of rolling out the new system, corporate decided that all access like that would be revoked for field MIS groups (me). The new process is, something breaks, I have to request specific access to troubleshoot and fix, then that access is revoked again when I'm done.

Several problems with this:

1. They won't give me blanket access, and usually, when something breaks, I don't know exactly what it is. I have to do a little digging. But when I request elevated access, it has to be very specific, as in "I want to look at this file in this directory." I can't even ask to look at everything in a directory, so what happens is, I put in a request to do *one* thing, that's not where the problem is, then I have to put in a request to do the next thing where I suspect the problem is, and so on. My ratio to submitting requests versus fixing the problem is about 50:1.

2. Requests have a one day turnaround, and every time I submit one, some other corporate tech grabs it, and I have to explain all over again what I'm doing.

3. My user community and my managers still expect immediate resolution, even though they're all fully aware of how the new security procedures affect us. Yesterday, my manager told me he was tired of hearing me bitch about this (I'd just gotten my ass chewed by another manager because something wasn't fixed yet) and all I could say was that I was getting equally tired of being bitched *at* for things out of my control.

It's 8:45AM, I'll start my day at 9AM, and I know by 9:15AM, I'll have at least four people yelling at me about this again.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 511 Next