The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:40 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 511 Next
 Post subject: Re: General Work Rants
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:30 pm 

^ That's why we use G Suite, and why I refuse to help (most) people sync it with freaking outlook, unless they actually can't do their job without it (which they can, of course). :|

Also, I don't get paid for overtime. My contract states that I need to work as long as it takes for the job to get done...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:48 am 

So, our office is moving this weekend. The last week has been crazy, as everyone packs up their stuff and prepares to move. The office is currently a sea of boxes, and I'm pretty sure I'm high on permanent marker fumes. 11 years of stuff has been a lot to box up, and I'm finding various things stuffed in drawers that I had totally forgotten about.

One person who I'll be sharing a space with (all our cubes will be arranged in groups of 4) has already attempted to assert that she needs the top of the shared cabinets to be "her" space. No bitch, you have to share just like everyone else. Deal with it.

The elevator in our building is currently not working. Our offices are on the 2nd floor.

And the new building that we're supposed to be moving in to? IS STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION. I'm pretty sure I'll be showing up on Monday and calling my boss to be like "So...where am I supposed to be going right now?"

I'm glad I'm not the one in charge of this move. It's been total chaos.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:18 am 

Just asked the guy who's coordinating the actual moving of the furniture where we are supposed to report when we arrive on Monday. His answer: "Fucked if I know!"

We don't have keys, or a reception desk. Monday should be interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:29 am 
Site Admin

So how did the new building work out? ;D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:17 am 

Yesterday was the first day in the new building. When we first arrived, there was no power to half the offices. The fridge didn't work. No soap or hand dryers or paper towels in the bathrooms. Only two outlets in the kitchen, so we could only plug in one coffeemaker and one microwave. The bosses ordered us a pizza lunch, which we ate either standing using stacked boxes as a table or sitting on the floor, since we have no lunchroom furniture yet.

The building is still under construction, as I mentioned. Only our section is open, the rest is off-limits since it's still a construction zone with hard hats and steel-toed boots required.

The good news is that we've all got power now, and the additional outlets in the kitchen are now online. Fridge is working, and someone brought in some bottles of soap for the washrooms.

It's been an interesting couple of days, that's for sure. I miss the old office a bit, but hopefully I'll get used to the new one soon. I think the thing I miss most about the old office is the bathrooms - they weren't publically accessible, so they stayed nice and clean and there was never a lineup. The new building has public bathrooms and I'm sure that as soon as students show up and start using this building, they'll be a mess.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:32 am 

^^^ I moved to a new building once, and they were still doing work on it. A few days after settling in, they we working overhead (this was in a converted warehouse, with what seemed 8,000-foot ceilings), and I got up to go to the break room, and as soon as I pushed away from my desk, a crapload of construction debris came tumbling down all over my work area!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:44 am 

Three months into the new billions-of-dollars system and it still won't run our night jobs without failing at least once each night, paging me, and getting me up.

Monday, I had to stay up until midnight to manually run a couple of new jobs, then got paged at 2:30AM and was up until 4AM fixing that, then paged again at 6AM.

Tuesday, paged at 9:45PM, then again at 11:30PM, and didn't get to bed until a little after 1AM. Last night, paged at around 10PM, up until after midnight with that.

I've been getting online late every morning, to make up for my lost time (I'm salary), and I'm starting to get the passive-aggressive comments from one of my managers:

"Geez, CO, I didn't realize we moved you to swing shift..."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Send him the call logs, with the time underlined. What a jackass.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

Or call him at 2am, and then again at 4am, to tell him you're going to be late for work.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:40 pm 

^^^ I like! :lol:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 511 Next