The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:25 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: General Work Rants
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:43 am 

Here's how much I hate my job:

I work from home three or four days a week. I log in at 9AM. Between the time I get up and then, I sit and do as little as possible, because it makes the time drag, and makes it feel like it's a longer time before I have to log into hell.

I posted a couple of things this morning, then looked at the clock and thought, "Crap, time just flew by! I have to log in in a few minutes!"

Post subject: Re: General Work Rants
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:01 am 

I work from home one day a week, and I do the same thing. I'll wake up at 7 a.m. and lie in bed with my phone until after 9, then get up, eat breakfast, read the paper... usually don't get any work done until after 10.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:50 pm 

Carryon,

I also work from home but am in a better situation. I retired from working full time so am able to work 3-4 days a week. I remember you also have a retirement goal. I would encourage you to keep that in mind to help you get through the day. Retirement at 55 is possible, but in my situation I decided that I need to work part time to cover all the unbudgeted surprises that keep occurring,

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:57 am 

I might as well send all my messages and emails into the ether. Maybe I'll radio them into space, the aliens have a better chance of replying.

Seriously, I may be a lowly IT support tech, but I have shit to do too! My time is not worth less than yours!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:30 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Seriously, I may be a lowly IT support tech, but I have shit to do too! My time is not worth less than yours!
You too, eh? I don't consider consider myself lowly per se because I've been doing this for 17 years but there are those who do. And it's funny because I'm usually emailing them about a trouble ticket that they opened. I want to go all Tom Cruise in Jerry Maguire. Help me help you. If it's regarding the Windows 10 migration I kind of expect to be ignored because a lot of folks are just fine with Windows 7 thank you very much. Luckily I'm on the post-deployment team so if something isn't right they're quick to respond. The guys on the pre-deployment team have it way worse in that regard.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:48 am 

Oh, I get that. I also work IT, and part of my job is support. What I hate is the waste of my time due to someone else's poor planning.

We just moved to a new system and it includes a reporting tool for users, meaning, don't come and ask me to run database queries for you. We ran a lot of customized reports out of the old system, and part of the migration over the last few years has been around these queries; getting them into the new system, getting users to understand how to find what they need, etc.

We had literally dozens of meetings and conversations around these stupid queries, which ones needed to migrate, which ones were no longer needed, which ones needed revised, and none of this was my call, because I don't use them. They do.

We went over this, and over this, and over this, again and again, determining all this stuff. Sign-offs left and right, and not four days after we went live..."I need this query ASAP!"

"Sorry, it didn't migrate. You signed off saying it was obsolete."

"What?!?! No I didn't! This is a regulatory requirement!"

"Well, here's your signature, saying the report was no longer needed."

"That?!?! I didn't read that! I was signing crap left and right, you can't expect me to read everything I sign, I'd never get anything done!"

Something like this happens pretty much weekly, and it happens because IT management lets them get away with it. There's never any consequences for being a dumb shit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:27 am 

I have many annoying coworkers, but there's on who really drives me crazy.

He's constantly cracking jokes. Like all the time, all day, he's joking around, any subject you're talking about, he'll find some way to make a joke about it. He thinks he's a goddamn comedian.

Here's the thing: his jokes aren't funny. He's got no sense of timing, he messes up punchlines, he can't make a joke to save his life. His jokes normally aren't offensive, just blatantly unfunny, but he laughs and then expects you to start laughing too, because he's laughing! OMG can't you see how funny this is!

He really pissed me off this morning, though. We're moving to a new building soon, and a floorplan with the new seating arrangements was posted. Of course, everyone wants to know who's getting a window seat. Mr. Class Clown says he has line-of-sight to a window, and someone else joked "haha, we'll be covering the windows up with paper!". Class clown says "Oh, that's in case of a shooter? HAHAHAHAHAHA"

Dude - shut the fuck up. That's not fucking funny. Not in the least. Mass shootings are less common here, but I hope every single day that we never have one here. I never want to have to call my husband and parents to let them know that I'm hiding under my desk scared for my life. It's not something to joke about.

Normally I have a pretty morbid sense of humour, but this was so far beyond the pale. Ugh.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Class clown says "Oh, that's in case of a shooter? HAHAHAHAHAHA"
WTF? Some things you don't joke about.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:23 pm 

I had to spend three hours un-assing a spreadsheet that someone decided to "improve". I don't know why people don't use the formula tracers in Excel before they make changes - especially when the formulas in some cells contain rather complex calculations involving other cells with formulas.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

I got to do follow up on a user who was migrated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last night. She's worked here for 15 years so she has a ton of Outlook archive files, some of which I had un-hose on the new OS install. One of the problem children was 40 FREAKING GIGABYTES!!! Outlook 2016 says you can go up to 20 but I don't like to go past 10. It's just asking for trouble. I showed her how to break it up into smaller chunks and suggested she do so ASAP. She had another that was 8 GB and the rest were 2 GB or less, so manageable. I was attempting to explain what happened and she was like "I'm computer stupid". So I said "There are literally hundreds of thousands of individual files on your computer. These two alone are taking up 20% of your hard drive space." So now I'm getting some sweet, sweet overtime because it put me behind the eight ball for stuff that needs to be done by Monday. That's fine because mama needs some new shoes. :)