The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:30 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 Next
 Post subject: Re: General Work Rants
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:07 pm 

I’m pretty sure that when I die and go to hell, I will be doomed to spend all eternity trying to navigate the file structure of my department’s shared drive. No joke, I regularly need to navigate through 15 sub-folders to find the file I need.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:32 pm 

^^
This guy at work texted us all to let us know his daughter we've never met got her drivers liscense. Um, yay? Lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:26 am 

^^^ We used to have one of those. It was so bad, him sending regular updates about his kids, corporate-wide no less (so about 50,000 recipients), that he actually got spoken to about it by management.

Whether it was related or not, I don't know, but shortly after that, he left. Win-win!

@Herb - one of my managers is terrible for convoluted file structures! I'll ask him where, say, the offshore work roster is for our team in Seattle, and it'll be somewhere like Z:\OurDivision\Ohio\Cincinnati\Procurements\SecondaryWorkEfforts\Unspecified\TimeTracking\KitchenBreakroom\NowI'mJustMakingThisUp\ButYouGetThePoint\OffshoreWorkRoster.xls.

The thing is...drilling through all the folders he created...there's nothing else in those folders! It all exists for that one document, and more often than not, the document is somewhere that's totally unrelated to the folder names. It's like he filed whatever he'd worked on under P because that day, he had Pizza for lunch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:17 pm 

I started with my current boss in Jan 2019 (I work in real estate) and took over from someone with VERY little experience who had been with my boss for almost 2 years. His career is in Dropbox and Gmail. The first 6 months of my job I spent having to go through 7 years of Dropbox files in the same format (folder and subfolder and subfolder and subfolder) and then to make it worse she would keep multiple, partially executed documents. IE; If we had an offer for a buyer she would save the blank copy, then the copy that was only signed by the buyers, then a copy that was signed by the buyers and one of the sellers, then the fully executed docs and the files would be labeled 1. Offer 2. Offer 3. Offer 4. Offer, so not only would I have to go into every subfolder, I would then have to open every PDF to figure out which was the fully executed version we would require and delete the others... per every form for the transaction, of which there are around 6 mandatory forms. I wanted to blow my MF brains out but with a partially eidetic memory, I will say I learned my bosses entire 7 year career over that period and know more about the transactions he had before he hired me than he does!

I'm a simple lady; I like a single client file (so you can see every transaction they've ever done as opposed to having to go through years then buyers or sellers), then I like one subfolder per transaction; so one for their purchase then a separate one for their sale. In the event we have an investor, all their purchases are in the same, single file!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:55 am 

^^^ That's another thing my boss does - he insists on "versioning" - you make a change, any change, to a document, you have to save it as a new document, so he can "see the history." That means we end of with 400 work rosters for the last three years!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:56 pm 

I emailed someone earlier this week to get clarification on the process for onboarding new hires, because it's being done completely remotely this year. She literally emailed me back "it's the same process and deadlines, just remotely". OH GEE THANKS HOW HELPFUL.

I think she's miffed at me because of a mistake I made last year that caused her inconvenience (admittedly my fault, but it wasn't the end of the world), but that was over a year ago...time to get over it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:36 am 

Back when I first got passed over for the promotion, I applied for a job or two with my current employer, but different location.

2 days ago, I got a rejection email for one of those positions that I’d applied to - 7 months ago.

Thanks for letting me know, I guess...?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

I should be posting in this thread again very soon. I'm finally employed again after 8 months.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 am 

^^^ Great news! Can't wait to hear about where you landed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:01 pm 

Congrats on the new job, LadyPhoenix!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 Next