The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:06 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Re: Update, sort of
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:24 pm 

I suppose I have a bit of an update.

So nothing came of the jobs that I applied for with current employer. I don’t know if it’s because my application didn’t match what they were looking for, or if the posting got pulled thanks to COVID, but I wasn’t called for an interview.

Given the whole pandemic situation, I’m not particularly keen to make any big job moves right now. My job right now has a lot of faults, obviously, but it’s stable, it can be performed from home, and I’m still making money.

But an interesting opportunity has come up, which I plan to take. The university where I work has just announced a new masters program, exactly in my field. It’s so new that they aren’t even accepting applications yet, but I plan to apply. If accepted, I will start in September 2021 (hopefully COVID will be in the rear view mirror by then), and graduate in 2022. I will be able to take a one year educational leave of absence from my job, and then return afterwards (and reassess things then). I figure, a masters could potentially help me move up where I am now; and if not, it might help me find something somewhere else.

So that’s the plan. I haven’t told very many people about it (husband, a few friends). I haven’t talked to my boss yet about it; I really would prefer to do so face-to-face, but we’ll see if that’s even possible.

Work is still a little weird. Moving to being at home all the time has helped, I think. Funny thing is, I’m actually getting along super well with the person who got the job I wanted. It does still sting a little bit when people tell her what a great job she’s doing; I will need to develop some coping skills there, especially as grad school is over a year away. But she hasn’t gotten a bunch of the support she was promised for some of her tasks (hiring freezes). So I offered to help, and I’m currently helping her with some of the stuff that I was really excited about doing. My boss noticed it too, and thanked me for taking the initiative; so I guess that’s a positive.

Has anyone here gone back to grad school as an older student, by any chance? I am a bit worried about making that transition - if I get accepted I will be starting a masters at age 38.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:38 am 

I started my PhD (in Management) when I was 39. I'd been made redundant from a job I hated, and I couldn't face looking for another job. So I happened to find a fully-funded PhD (ie tuition paid + stipend) in a subject close to the work I'd been doing. The application closed in about 3 days, so I got it all together, went for an interview, and was offered the position about a week after that.

I did finish the PhD (took 4 years), but the experience did remind me why I'd noped out of university with my Master's when I was 24 -- I can't stand the pettiness and politics of academia.

I ended up taking on a few independent research jobs for a couple of years, but decided I couldn't be arsed, and I'd rather clean up cat poo for a living. Which is what I do now, with my doctorate.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:39 am 

Another update to my work situation: the whole mess has just gotten stupider.

So, you know the person who got the job that I wanted? She's pregnant. Actually, due quite soon - I had no idea because with virtual meetings, I've only seen her from the shoulders up since March. If my math is right, she would have gotten herself knocked up right around the time of the interviews and hiring process. Yay, way to encourage more hiring of women! (and it's her third kid, too - so much for being an environmentalist).

So there are a few different ways that this could go. She's entitled to up to a year and a half of leave. She is apparently unsure if she will take 9 months, or 6 months. So the potential scenarios are this: 1. They fill her position with someone who is not me. In this scenario, I become extremely likely to rage-quit and run off to join the circus. 2. They decide not to fill her position and simply leave it vacant. In this case, her work probably gets dumped on me and I'm left doing 2 jobs for my current shit pay. 3. They transfer me into her position while she's on leave. They likely would not fill my current position in this case, so I'd still be doing 2 peoples jobs, but at least I'd be getting paid more for it.

I've already spoken to my union steward about this, and I talked to my boss about it yesterday. Boss says that I will not end up doing all her work (ha, famous last words). I told him that if they want to fill her position I would be interested in doing so. He actually seemed pretty relieved at that prospect, so fingers crossed. The workload would certainly be an issue, but at least I'd get 6-9 months of managerial experience to put on my resume.

I still plan to apply to grad school this fall - I will know early next year whether I get in or not. If the timeline works out, the new lady will come back from mat leave sometime between April - June, and then I would enter grad school in September. So the timing isn't terrible.

Honestly this whole thing just feels so super weird. Like a promotion came up that I didn't get, and everything was terrible and then a pandemic hit so we all started working from home and nobody knew the new lady was pregnant until 2 months before her due date and then so she's going to go on leave but we don't know for how long or what's going to happen to her position and maybe I'll end up going to grad school after all this?

Life is strange sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:45 am 

Yeah, strange how that all turned out. I really hope the situation works out in your favor!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:23 pm 

Another update: I just signed the paperwork today, so I’m officially being seconded into the position that is being left vacant by the lady who’s going in mat leave on Monday. So I get to work in the job that I wanted for 6 months.

I’m happy to get a chance to prove myself. It still feels like a consolation prize, but I’ll take it. I’m very nervous about how I’ll do, but hopefully it goes well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:55 am 

I think that still warrants a hearty congratulations!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:28 am 

Congrats Herby, fingers crossed she doesn't come back!