The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:13 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Re: General Work Rants
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:18 pm 

Ok, I was given a new small project to work on, just me. It was to code a little file management utility, kind of a side project because no one else had time to work on it, and it was in a platform I have virtually no experience with, so it was meant to give me some practical know-how as well.

On Thursday afternoon last week, my manager sent me some code examples of something similar, for me to use as a guide. On Friday morning, I downloaded it, unzipped it, and read through several chunks of code, and I wrote out a little requirements/development plan, sent that back to my boss around lunchtime Friday, just to make sure I was going down the right path. The examples all made sense, just more about learning the syntax than anything else.

Didn't hear anything back on Friday...Monday...no problem, he's really busy. Monday, in order to be prepared, I did a little outline coding, just to get started, going off the assumption I was right with my requirements plan.

Today, I get an email from a guy who doesn't work anywhere on our team or in our division, has nothing to do with us at all, lives in another city, never heard of him before, telling me he's got this utility written and that my manager gave him my name as a testing contact.

WTF?!?!

Turned out, on Thursday, the same day my manager gave me all this stuff to look at, he turned right around and dumped it off to some other development team. The same damn day! He could have told me later that day, saved me some time. He could have told me when I sent him my initial requirements document. But no....!

I asked him today what in the hell was going on, and all he said was, "Yeah, right after I gave that to you, I was talking to another manager in another group, and he said he had a guy looking for something to do, so I shot this over to him."

Um, thanks for letting me know. :roll:

So I just tested his stuff. No, no, just no. It doesn't do half of what we initially talked about. No doubt when my manager talked to him, he didn't give him any direction beyond the most basic, and now it's all wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:24 pm 

^ I hate that kind of stuff... I have to deal with it all the time (at a lower level) with our receptionist. She paid for UPS to pick something up, instead of catching the guy on his next visit. She cancelled flights but didn't copy the cancellation to me (I process the credit cards) or even save the $75 credit to use again. Yesterday I discovered she's been screwing up scanning the credit card receipts - and got mad at me when I told her to fix it.

I'm having to come to terms with the fact that my Boss's situation is going to be pretty shitty for the forseeable future, as her husband's cancer has come back (pretty aggressive) and he's dealing with complications from the surgery they did a couple of weeks ago. She's dealing with it by throwing herself at her work, and it's kinda amplifying her personality. The downside is I take the brunt of 99% of it, but I have made the odd pushback when she gets too far out of line (not meanly, just being firm - and she knows I have her back). We thought she was going to be out next week, as she's trying to get him moved to another hospital in LA, but I don't know if that will happen or when.

I'm so tired...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:17 pm 

I didn’t get the promotion. I wasn’t even their second choice.

It really fucking hurts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:03 pm 

^^^ Geez, Herb, that really stinks. Makes all my work-griping seem stupid.

Their loss, though, but that doesn't make it any better. I'm really sorry. Big hug.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:06 pm 

Thanks, CarryOn. I wish I could say I’m handling it well, but I’m really not. I handled it exceptionally well when my boss told me, worked the rest of the afternoon, and then rode home with tears streaming down my face. I barely slept last night, and I’ve spent a good part of today crying.

Thing is, I’ve waited 8 fucking years for this opportunity. What I do is pretty specialized within my employer. I started with this company, worked at bullshit tasks for 5 years, and finally got promoted only because they fired someone else. I’ve been waiting 8 years to finally move up, finally do something really meaningful, and they give the position to someone who’s friends with one of the executives.

I feel like I’ve spent the last 12 years waiting in the wings and now I just found out that I don’t even get to go out on stage. I wasn’t even their second choice!

Needless to say, I’m going to be doing some very serious reflection on where I want my career to be going from here. I may start looking for other opportunities, somewhere I can actually move up and advance. I don’t want to wait another 8 years to get passed over for a promotion again.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:08 pm 

I don't know if they show it there, but here there's a commercial for Indeed that is exactly your situation, and I love it. I'm sappy sometimes.

Anyway, young woman is standing in a room with her coworkers, and the boss is about to announce a promotion, and by her body language, she knows she's got it.

"...and our new junior VP is...Mike, from Accounting!"

Everyone cheers and slaps him on the back, but she's crestfallen. The voiceover says, "Today wasn't the first time Jen was passed over for promotion..."

Jen's phone beeps, and she sees a notification from the Indeed app that says "Interview requested!"

"...but it would be the last." - and Jen breaks out in a big smile, because she knows she's quitting and moving on.

I hate my job, as I've griped about more than once, and I think deep down, it's because I have a real resentment of employers who treat their employees as chattel, as non-human "resources" to be treated like objects, so any time I see any portrayal of a worker getting ahead, it gets the ol' heart thumping.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:37 am 

Oh, I'm so sorry, Herbaceous. It probably wouldn't hurt to see what else is out there. To me, the sleight would be on the back burner if I was looking to move up, as it appears there's not much opportunity there. Cronyism is everywhere, so it's a threat to promotion with any employer. Lack of opportunity can be far more limiting. I wish you luck with whatever you choose. It always smarts when you think you knocked it out of the park, and you passed over for someone's friend.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:12 am 

I was on call all last week, and as I've detailed before, on-call is a bear. I got called nearly every night, so no real sleep for a week.

I find out yesterday (federal holiday, no work), that I'm going to be the only one working for the next three days, extending my on-call by three more nights, and also meaning that the days are going to be hectic as fuck as well.

What's worse, my manager knew about this weeks in advance, but never told me until a text yesterday: "Don't forget, you're the only one working tomorrow through Thursday."

How the hell can I forget when you're just now telling me?!?! :x