The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:32 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Re: General Work Rants
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:59 am 

I think I've mentioned this elsewhere on here, but my department is losing our 3 most senior staff members to retirement at the end of this month. It's going to be super weird not having them around any more, and I will miss them and I wish them well.

But the parties. OMG the parties. So far we've had a potluck, 2 catered retirement receptions, 1 group lunch at a restaurant, and an afternoon cake party. Coming up, there's going to be a picnic, another group retirement reception, and another group lunch at a restaurant, and don't forget the annual golf tournament! I love that my department holds social events, but this is overkill. It's going to be hard to keep my weight down with all of this going on, and of course there's a huge amount of pressure to attend everything. Plus sometimes I just get so tired of socializing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:46 am 

^^^ For us, it's the other end of the spectrum. When you retire, corporate gives managers a certain allowance to cover a retirement event, and that's supposed to be up to the retiree whether it's a nice dinner out, or a catered in lunch, or even something like bowling.

Our manager is lazy about it, doesn't like doing that stuff, so what we get at best is a kind of half-assed lunch at his favorite place the day of, and most people already have plans, so no one shows up.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:38 pm 

It was almost 80 degrees today and it was about 400 degrees in the building. I was sweating, and it was horrible. When I finally left work, I thought, "Great, no more sweatbox!" Then I got stuck in two hours - TWO HOURS - of traffic trying to get home. I live about 20 minutes from work without much traffic. Every single way home was blocked with a wreck, and even with the AC, I could feel the sweat on my back and bum. It. Was. Horrible.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:24 pm 

I used to work in retail. I could write a novel!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:11 am 

^^I really think that everyone should have to work in retail or food service for at least 6 months. Just so they understand what it's like and stop being such jerks to retail or food service workers (although I'm one to talk...my own stint in retail only lasted 4 months, but I have also worked as a cleaner before).

Many years ago, I was sitting in the lunchroom with my boss (at the time) and some coworkers, just chatting. Somehow the topic of my childfreedom came up, and my boss was all "haha, you'll change your mind or get pregnant accidentally!" I told him I would happily bet him $1000 that I would still be childless at the time he retired.

He retired on Friday. I'm still as happily barren as ever. I wish he'd taken that bet, I could be $1000 richer by now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:03 pm 

I hope you reminded him Herbaceous!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:26 am 

We have a lot of women coming back on maternity leave and going on maternity leave. They all want to pick the shifts they work which means the rest of us have to fill in the gaps. They have lost their drive and just sit there and don't want to do anything so the rest of us have to work harder. The phone rings and they pretend not to hear.

In some cases they are saying they can't cope, so they are getting put on some special project, aka sit in the corner and do nothing. Again more work for the rest of us.

It's really busy at the moment and I wish they would pull their weight, they are getting paid to be there. Even if something in the office needs fixing or just organising to have it fixed, nope too hard, they just ignore everything. They do have time to have coffee and gossip though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:59 am 
Site Admin

Obviously I didn't go with her to work so I don't what actually happened there but when my mom was pregnant with my sister she still went to work almost up until my sister was born and then was gone for 2 or 3 months and then went right back to work. But that was in 1982. Things are probably different in 2019.