The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:41 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:48 pm 

.......Or at least a job that they really LOVE?

What do you love about it? Is this your 'dream job' or a lead in the right direction? Tell me about it here and let's try to keep it positive and keep covid out of this thread. I think we could all use the positivity right now.

I'll start....
I've been working part-time as a Budtender at one of my local weed shops!!!
I love the job because not only does it get me out of the house and socializing but also:
a.) I am a smoker and there are so many new products coming out, so it's an ongoing learning process.
b.) The team I work with is great! It's a laid-back environment and we're all stoners and yes, we have our 'munchie stash' and coffee!
c.) The work is easy enough and there's no heavy lifting involved.
d.) When we get our shipment every week, it's like Christmas!!!!

Is anyone else here a Budtender? If so, where in the world are you? I'm in Canada.
*ETA I moved this post over from the pub, here.

Storyteller & Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:48 am 

No, I hate my job. :lol:

My wife, OTOH, loves hers. She's a self-employee travel consultant, which is a bit different than an agent. Instead of you ringing her up and saying, "I want to go to Mexico for a week in April, find me something," she specializes in meeting face-to-face, getting to know you and what you like/dislike, what sorts of activities interest you, then tailoring an exact-fit kind of experience that goes beyond just booking the standard flight-hotel-car rental, which she doesn't do.

She becomes very invested in her clients' vacations. She's usually in touch when them (via texts) while they're away, because they'll have questions about this or that, and she provides that personal attention that some travelers want.

She loves it, because as she says, she feels like she's on vacation with every one of her clients, and nothing makes her happier than a customer coming back and telling her, "You know that private whale watch you picked out for us? That was the best part of the trip!"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:31 pm 

@CO - I think the majority of us 'hate' our jobs because we don't feel like we are valued enough, just being treated like expendable drones that can be tossed aside if they don't like you. That and for a lot of us, it's not a job that we enjoy or what we would want to be doing for a living. I believe this expectation is set when we are young, being told 'You can be anything you want when you grow up.' This also comes with the expectation from parents that 'their' child will grow up to be an NBA star or the next President.
In reality, being an adult can be very dull and uneventful a lot of the time, especially at work. Maybe if you hate it that much, it's time to make a change?

I am glad your wife loves her job. I'd love for Mrs. CO to plan a vacation if I could afford it. The job sounds awesome! Knowing that you are facilitating a fun vacation for your clients and making them happy must be an awesome feeling :D
It's awesome she also checks in with them and follows it through to the very end, making sure everything is going as planned.

Storyteller & Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:37 pm 

I did a job I hated most of my working life, but the pay and rations were good, it allowed me to retire before I was 50 and provided me with the opportunities to achieve other personal ambitions that weren't work related. I didn't need to feel valued, I just needed a good compensation package. Now I just do anything I want, when I want, I guess that's what they call 'deferred benefits' :D

For me the advantages of putting up with a job I didn't enjoy massively outweighed the disadvantages. I guess you pays your money and makes your choice.

My parents didn't create any expectation, I created my own expectations of myself and any kid with half an eye can see being an adult is a lot of boring, repetitive shite (especially if you have kids), but putting up with some of that can also reap rewards. I guess I thought of it as a straightforward cost/benefit, was the cost (in time, effort, gritting my teeth etc) worth the benefits, for me it was....

I believe how people respond to the things they see, hear and experience is up to them, so to a degree what others expectations are is irrelevant. The members of this forum a clear example of that; while others told us kids are a blessing, a joy and 'inevitable', we all made a very different decision. If you choose to go along with others expectations, or choose not to, then that's a choice you make.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:43 pm 

I like my job as an actuary at a consulting firm. I'm very good at it, and therefore I'm pretty much allowed to do what I want at work, as long as it isn't work from home. The people I work with are fairly good. The ones I deal with most, I get along with fabulously. I'm not travelling much anymore, so that's a plus. I also do not like dealing with people, so now that my job has moved more to analytical stuff than customer-facing, I don't mind it at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:49 am 

The main reason I hate my job, any job, is that a job dictates my schedule. That's what I hate. I want to do what I want when I want (just call me Cartman :lol:) and a job prevents that.

For example...I don't feel like working today. But, I've got to work today. Ipso facto...I hate my job.

I worked for years as a musician, and I loved being a musician, until I had to do it for a living. Then I hated it. I could be hired as the lead crotch inspector at Victoria's Secret, and by the end of the first week, I'd be saying, "I can't believe I have to get up, go into work, and look a bunch of supermodels crotches right in the eye all day. Life's not fair!"

In short, I hate work because it's work.

My parents raised me with zero expectation of being anything I could be - they were quite the opposite, really, and made sure I understood that you have to work to have anything, and nothing in life is free, and nothing in life is fair, you can do everything right and still end up broke and dead, so get used to it, sonny. It's probably the best advice they ever gave me, because every time I've been kicked in the teeth, I think, "Yep, they told me this could happen," and I'd brush it aside, and just keep going.

Job change...I'm less than five years from retirement (unless life kicks the rest of my teeth out before then), and I've got a good-paying job now, so I'm not changing anything if I can help it. I'm going to spend the remaining work years honing my retirement speech: "Remember when I said your yoga pants didn't make you look fat, Mandy? I lied! You hear me?! I lied right to your big, fat face! And you, Bob...why does your office smell like old socks and spoiled milk? I'll tell you why, Bob - because you're in there! Take a shower, man!" :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:58 am 

Quote:

The main reason I hate my job, any job, is that a job dictates my schedule. That's what I hate. I want to do what I want when I want (just call me Cartman :lol:) and a job prevents that.

^ This, you got it in a nutshell CO!

I think this is true of a lot of things, even those things you enjoy, once you 'have' to do it the joy just gets sucked out of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:04 pm 

@CO - At least it won't be long now and you can have your retirement party and then be able to do what you want! Maybe when you officially call work quits, your wife can plan a wicked vacation for the both of you, you both deserve it!

It's getting harder and harder these days to retire. My dad is in his seventies and is back to work at his job, at least until the beginning of March. He's finding it harder and harder, especially up here in the Canadian Prairies with our cold and his metal hip. I am hoping that he can give it up completely really soon so he can spend more time enjoying himself, doing what he loves.

Storyteller & Artist