The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:00 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Re: New kitty
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:09 pm 

Congratulations to you and Aja. She looks like a sweet, happy cat. And about 99 percent eyes. :)

I'm glad you took the mom cat. People always overlook them when adopting from a rescue litter. Now she's got a nice secure place to call her own and she can relax and put some meat on her bones. I imagine she got pretty spindly with all her caloric intake going to the kittens.

Re: food...she may always be a bit protective of/fixated on food, but time may mellow her a little as she sees that food is a reliable, adequate supply in her new home.

Has she been introduced to Sam yet?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:46 pm 

She is beautiful.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:51 am 
Site Admin

Tempest ... I locked her in the spare room the first night she was home, and she yelled all night. So I just let her out, and let her and Sam sort their own stuff. It actually went well. He's not aggressive - he hissed and growled a bit but didn't chase or hit - and she pretty much ignored him. The second night Sam was on the bed, and she was roaming, and he would hiss and spit every time she walked past the door (so two nights of terrible sleep, worse than having a baby). But they're pretty good after a week. She can sleep on the bed now, as long as she's not too close to him, and yesterday he was trying to engage her in play - running up and down the hallway chirping, and watching her intently when she played with her toys. I suspect they'll get there. They're doing great already.

She's having a great time going in and out the cat door. I was home sick yesterday, and it was very cold here, but she was in and out for the entire day. It's good to know she can go out and explore, but knows how to get home. She was a very tired kitty by last night :-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:30 am 

So they were strangers to each other, and after a week they've already sorted out a sleeping-place truce? That's pretty good in my book!

But Sam has experience with other cats, and wasn't a solo kitty his whole life... and if he's a pretty chill guy he will probably adapt just fine to having a new roommate. Maybe they'll even be friends, given some time and space and some playtime together with you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:11 am 
Site Admin

So after a month of living with me, Miss Kitty is sleek and happy. I need to cut her food a bit now, she's up to 8lb and has a cute little pot belly :-)

I posted on my Instagram "When I was bad, I was horrid. I steal people food off the bench (salmon fillet), I bring things inside and kill them (current bird kill count = 5), and I bully my brother (sometimes). But when I was good, I was stinking cute."

She and Sam tolerate each other, for the most part. But they have their moments. I currently have my bedroom dismantled so I can paint it, and Sam refuses to sleep in the basement with me. So I put the blanket off the bed on the spare room floor upstairs, and he nests in there. He was off his food and not feeling well for a couple of days, and she actually hung out with him for most of those two days - either on the blanket, or on the chair in there. Not close enough to bug him, but close enough to be company. That was cute.

Attachments:
IMG_0862.jpg
IMG_0862.jpg [ 85.64 KiB | Viewed 1040 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:09 pm 

<3 new kitty! Very lovely. Glad things are working out!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:53 pm 

Her coat looks better and she's filled out. That's good to see.

Very sweet that she kept Sam company when he wasn't feeling right. And she knew not to push her limits with it. Smart girl.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

Four months I've had Aja now? Now spayed, fat and happy. In fact, probably too fat - the vet told me off for overfeeding her. She was up to 4.4kg, almost 10lb. She's back to about 4.1kg now, which is probably going to be a good weight for her. She's a long, solid block of muscle, and a loyal and intensely curious (read :SO nosy) companion.

But man, does she hunt. She is a holy terror. Barely a day goes past where she won't bring a mouse inside, put it in the tub so it can't get away (yep, she's smart) and torture it to death. This usually happens around 2am. She also has a terrible habit of bringing them inside and letting them go, because then she has something to do, chasing them after I go to bed. There was one night there were FIVE mice loose in the house (there is still one mouse under the kitchen cabinets that I'm trying to poison right now). After that, I started locking her either in or out, but I rarely give her free roam between inside and outside any more. Occasionally she will bring me a bird too, but the snow in the yard makes it hard for her to catch too many of them right now. The mouse thing is a problem, because the mice here have hantavirus, which can be fatal - cleaning up requires hazmat gear and bleach, so you can imagine I'm not super keen on the whole thing.

She and Sam get on OK. I think she bullies Sam a little - I have caught her dive-bombing him from the back of the couch while he's in the litter box - so I have to stay on top of that. She's learned that bugging him where I can see her gets her in trouble, so now she doesn't do it when I can catch her, at least.

When I first got her I thought she was pretty much a pure Burmese. Once she grew her winter coat though, she has very pronounced tabby stripes. There is definitely Burmese blood there, but she's a moggy for sure!

I love her to pieces. Sometimes I could wring her bloody neck, but I love her anyway :-)
Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 60.38 KiB | Viewed 810 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:23 pm 

She’s definitely filled out! She’s really beautiful.

My tortoiseshell does the “attack while the other cat’s in the litterbox” thing to her sister sometimes. Mine are funny in terms of when they try to get away with stuff - the tabby will only be naughty when she thinks we’re not looking. The tortoiseshell has very poor impulse control and consequently gets yelled at a lot more :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:59 am 

Congratulations on your kitty, what a gorgeous colour coat. I'm glad it's all going well and that you're loving it.

I had to laugh though, the irony of the blurb on the back of the book in the first photograph! If that was a spur of the moment photo and not an intentional placement of the book, that kitty knows their sh*t!!! :lol: