The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:41 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:53 pm 

Quote:
I suppose when you have the energy of a squirrel on cocaine and amphetamines, you burn some calories.
I love this!! 😂😂😂 I would never even consider a high strung high energy dog! Definetly not for me!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:12 am 

People always get little dogs for apartments - Chihuahuas, Yorkies, the mop-like Asian dog breeds, and even Jack Russells. It is a terrible idea to get anything in the terrier family for an apartment, as they might be tiny, but little dogs are often high energy. They need space, socialization and stimulation to keep them from destroying the place. Some of the larger livestock guarding dogs, like Great Pyrenees and Old English sheepdogs, are relatively low energy. Given walking to get the out and exercised, they're OK with sitting around, so they actually make better apartment dogs, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:44 am 
Site Admin

My last dog was a border collie - Aussie Shepherd mix, and he was kept in an apartment until he apparently became too much for the people who lived there - they moved out and left him behind. He hadn't been trained a lick, obviously hadn't been socialized, and he was a dominant personality too, so you can imagine what he was like when I got him. He probably made his previous owner's lives a living hell ... but that was entirely on them. You simply can't get a dog like that and do nothing with it.

I can't even imagine what sort of destruction he would have wreaked in an apartment. This was a dog who would run around a big backyard with his stuffed toy for hours on end.

I've met some asshole Jack Russells. That's one dog you really have to stay on top of - hyper energetic and prone to aggression, and if you don't stay on top of them they walk all over you. I'd actually say that most of the terrier breeds need way more training than any bigger dog.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:05 pm 

Quote:
Some of the larger livestock guarding dogs, like Great Pyrenees and Old English sheepdogs, are relatively low energy. Given walking to get the out and exercised, they're OK with sitting around, so they actually make better apartment dogs, in my opinion.
Various friends of mine have retired/rescued greyhounds, and from what I've seen they're very docile and low-energy indoors. They are big, but they just want a couch to lounge on and someone petting them.

I agree re: little dogs. Also, people tend to under-train...well, dogs in general, but little dogs in particular. Little dogs get away with aggressive, dominant behavior that would be instantly unacceptable in a larger dog. Jumping on people, for example. Little dogs get "tee hee, he thinks he's big". Huge disservice to the dog, who just needs to know who's the leader.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:40 am 

I grew up with a dog and absolutely adored him. I had no time for kids, but that dog was the most lovable creature. Even so, I knew I didn't want one of my own once I was independent. Apart from the fact that it would impinge on my freedom, the emotional tie was a big one for me. I didn't want to have to be responsible for its welfare, and I knew I would constantly worry.

Fast forward 20 odd years, and we have a dog. Not my choice, he was rescued from a bad situation by my husband and while we were waiting for him to be collected to go to the dog pound, the inevitable happened. It took me around 2 years to stop feeling like I had claustrophobia. I still find it hard but I love him to pieces. When he's gone (cue heartbreak) that'll be the end of my pet owning days. (I still get bingoed by people insisting that I WILL get another one :roll: )

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:08 am 

Although I don't have any pets myself I am a dog lover, but I understand what you are saying. Like some have posted, I find that some smaller dogs tend to be more demanding than the larger ones; my dad for instance has a Bichon Frise and one of my friends has a Jack Russell which are both high energy and vocal, yet my cousin has a whippet which is the most docile and quietest dog I've ever come across. Growing up, my best friend's family had three Gordon Setters and they were also pretty laid back.

My dad hardly trained his dog, yet my cousin trained hers; I think training, breed and character come into play. Much like kids really, if you train them right hopefully they'll behave most of the time!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:46 am 
Site Admin

My SIL had a Jack Russell. He was adorable but OMG he was the most hyper dog ever. My sister's Golden Retriever, on the other hand, once he got past about age 2 he was pretty chill. I don't think it's all big dogs though. My friend had a pit mix and he was very high energy.