The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:56 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:49 am 

CO - Didn't you train your dog to sit-and-wait for her food? I tell Esme to sit while I fill up the bowl (or when I put the dinner plates down for her to wash), and she will sit, and wait. And wait...and wait. She doesn't make a move until I give her the signal. It's one of the easiest things to teach a dog, because you just pick up the dish if they make a move. I've sometimes forget I told her her to wait, and she is still sat there, drooling, after 10 or 15 minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:19 am 

^^^ Yep, when I tell her to. The normal feeding procedure is that I fill her bowl on the counter, so there's no issue. She gets a lot of meds and add-ins, so I do that up on the countertop.

However, sometimes I give her a little top-up an hour or so later, so I'll just grab the container from the fridge and dump her a little out. If I'm grumpy or in a hurry, I make her wait; otherwise I let her get right in there.

I actually like an excitable dog...most of the time. The only times she really bugs me is with barking and getting under my feet sometimes.

When she was younger, she was in and out 100 times a day (she has a dog flap), so she'd see something, run out, bark, then back in. Now that she's older, she can't be bothered with all that, so she just lies in her easy chair looking out the window, and barks from there.

She also can get under my feet when I'm cooking, because she associates me in the kitchen with food is coming my way.

But jumping...she doesn't do that. Just used to run up and down the hallway when I'd get home, but now she can't be bothered with that either. But I like a dog who jumps on me, it's like instant validation that at least something thinks I'm the most awesome thing ever.

A year or so ago, I was talking with the vet about Kate (who's 16 now), and we've always been really good about no people food for her, all that, and the vet said, "You know what, she's 16. As healthy as she is, she doesn't have much longer. If you want to give her people food and it doesn't upset her stomach, do it. If you want to give her the run of the house, do it. She's a grand old dame. The rules are different when you get that old!"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:23 am 
Site Admin

I had dogs - border collies and border crosses - for years. And as much as I loved them and miss having a dog, I don't miss "having" a dog, if you know what I mean.

And yes, I frequently compare them to children. They can't be left unsupervised for any real length of time. They need to be trained on an ongoing basis. They need a routine. They need exercise. My day with dogs was an hour longer than it is now - if I'm tired now I can go to bed at 8.30. With the dogs, by the time they were walked, my free time was just beginning at 8.30 ...

I can't stand badly behaved dogs either. The neighbour has three, all of them are rescues with issues, and drive me bonkers with inappropriate barking and inappropriate interactions (one of them has bitten me twice while I've been on my own property doing something). One of the other neighbours has a yappy dog that barks incessantly, and he just ignores it (are you deaf? go find out why he's barking, and deal with it!) When you own a dog and visit dog parks a lot, you get to see a lot of poorly trained dogs and oblivious owners. It really is as bad as idiot parents and their shitty children.

And yes - dogs tend to be needy too. I'm not a fan of needy - that's one of my big nopes with children, is the needy thing, and years of it. That's why I prefer cats - they generally just sod off and do their own thing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:13 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
There's generally no duplicity. It's why, when I'm feeding my dog, she tries to eat the food right out of the container while I'm serving her. She's not being greedy, nor is she being helpful; she just sees food and she's hungry, so she thinks, "I'm hungry, there's the food, nom nom nom!"
This is not unique to the canine world. One of my cats does this too.
Quote:
^^^ Yep, when I tell her to. The normal feeding procedure is that I fill her bowl on the counter, so there's no issue. She gets a lot of meds and add-ins, so I do that up on the countertop.
Apollo will jump up on the counter and try to "help". And by help I mean try to eat the food as it's going into the bowl. I'm guessing Kate is too big for that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:48 pm 

Quote:
Apollo will jump up on the counter and try to "help". And by help I mean try to eat the food as it's going into the bowl. I'm guessing Kate is too big for that
Yep, at 45lbs, she just stares at me like I'm a walking pork chop, and then manages to get under my feet 33 different ways in the six steps from the counter to her feeding spot.

When we first got her, she counter-surfed a few times. She's not a particularly fat dog, but she's a long dog (her nickname is Lank), and she's got long, spider-like legs. During her first Thanksgiving with us (we'd had her maybe a week), we were setting the table, and she managed to get her head and shoulders up enough to grab a roasted potato.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:49 pm 

My parents have a Jack Russell and a Newfoundland. The Newfie and the JR have been trained to wait on their food, as the Newfie weighs maybe 5 lbs less than my father. He would be a terror if he had the Jack Russell's energy and wasn't trained. The Jack Russell is energetic, to say the least. He's well-trained, as they can be really destructive and annoying if they aren't trained well, and kept busy. Even though he knows he's to wait on chow, he still has problems with being patient. He stands at attention, and if you take too long, he'll start jumping up and down in place, or turning in circles. I guess he's got to get it out of his system some way. That said, he doesn't jump on people, bark incessantly, or act aggressively. He will get on the furniture, and I think my parents have conceded that battle. The Newfie pretty much lays about. He will walk around, but really just to find somewhere new to sleep. He rarely ever barks, and didn't have to be trained not to jump. He's so big, he's already on your level, so no need to jump.

Dogs are like kids though - you have to train them. If you don't set boundaries, teach them what is acceptable and unacceptable, and refuse to tolerate bad behaviour, you'll get an awful dog or child. I don't blame bad dogs. I blame the people who made them that way, and those same people usually have poorly trained children as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:03 pm 

Reading the 'dog people' posts here kind of leaves me flabbergasted. If don't want kids, then why have a dog? My cat doesn't jump on me, don't wreak havoc in the house, isn't needy, and doesn't get into things she shouldn't mess with. She's clean, quiet, doesn't smell, and minds her own business. It's like what Jack Byrnes says in Meet the Parents: Jack: You see, Greg, when you yell at a dog, his tail will go between his legs and cover his genitals, his ears will go down. A dog is very easy to break, but cats make you work for their affection. They don't sell out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:58 pm 

I don't even get why people have cats, every one I've encountered seems to have made it it's life's work just to get around my feet and trip me up, it can never seem to make up it's mind if it wants to be in or out and then jumps onto me shedding it's hairs and kneading my stomach .But then I don't get the whole keeping a pet thing at all, they're more work, more responsibility, more cost, more mess.....whatever they are; cat, dog, goldfish.

Add to that I feel a cage is still a cage even it's gilded, so I have ethical issues with it too, not with taking in rescue animals but with buying animals that have been bred as pets.

But you pays your money and you makes your choice, we all blow our cash on things we like and enjoy, we all devote time and energy to them too. I'm sure plenty of people wouldn't understand why I blow vast sums on cars, especially when they spend most of their time just sitting on the drive. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:46 am 

We had a cat for about two weeks. He was an asshole and went straight back to the shelter. He clawed up furniture and the rugs. He ran from us, but would lay in wait to attack our poor yellow lab. He would also hide under furniture and claw your ankles and then run off. It was the best day when he went back to the shelter. It sounds harsh, but that motherfucker deserved to be put to sleep. Over thirty years past now, and I still hate that damn cat. Nothing will ever convince me to own another asshole pet like that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:36 am 

Quote:
If don't want kids, then why have a dog?
That's an easy one: a dog isn't a kid.

You know how some parents tell CF people that we replace having a kid with having a dog? It's like that. I don't have a kid-shaped hole in my heart that I'm trying to fill with a dog, I have a dog-shaped hole in my heart that my dog fits into perfectly.