The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:50 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:40 pm 

Today, my favourite horse for the past 13 years was euthanized. I don’t know the details, but he was about 140 billion years old, so it’s not a huge surprise; I guess I was just kind of hoping he’d keep going forever.

He was a school horse at the barn where I rode up until COVID came along and forced the stable to close. A bunch of the horses were moved to a different stable and leased out (I am leasing one of them) - due to his age and general creakiness, he was retired to a different property and given the job of lawnmower.

I rode this horse for years. On weeks when I wasn’t riding him (because he’d managed to hurt himself yet again, because I’d been assigned a different horse that week, or because someone else was riding him) I always made sure to go into his stall, give him apples (he had so few teeth left that carrots were a bit of a challenge), and pet his nose and tell him how I loved him. He used to nicker when he saw me coming (probably because of the apples).

Things moved so quickly with COVID, husband and I ended up as total hermits for a while, and I didn’t go out to the barn for a few months. The last time I saw this horse, I didn’t know it was the last time.

I know he had a good, long life, and a good death. I’m just really going to miss him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:14 pm 

Sorry to read that. The truth is, friends are friends. They come in all shapes, sizes, and species. I think you did right by him with the apples and going to see him when you could. No doubt he was missing you as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:14 am 

I'm so sorry. Good that you (and the apples) were part of that good, long life.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

I remember being sad when my parents lost their kitty, even though she wasn't mine. Sometimes it's like that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:32 pm 

I remember my cat named Sugar. She was a rescue, a purebred Persian who was at the end of her life and extremely creaky from the pound. I had to feed her baby food as she had no teeth and couldn't even eat canned cat food. I only had her a few months. She died, having fallen asleep beside me on my parents' rug. She just never woke up.