The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:35 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Farewell, kitty
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:02 pm 

So, my very very old cat had her final appointment with the vet last night. She'd been declining for the past week, and we knew she was right at that point where pretty soon the bad days would outnumber the good.

I scheduled the appointment about three days in advance so that we could get an evening appointment right before they close (their usual practice for non-emergency euthanasia, so everyone can have time and privacy). Honestly, knowing how much time she had left made it kind of easier. She was so very old that even though she was very healthy and spry for her age, I knew I didn't have a lot of time left...honestly the past four years or so have been a wonderful, wonderful gift. I've had plenty of time to contemplate mortality in general, and her mortality in particular. She went quickly and peacefully laying across our laps.

She was a majestic beast, and I'm glad our paths crossed.

Post subject: Re: Farewell, kitty
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:17 am 

I know you're going to miss your friend, but it sounds like you did the right thing for her. I understand completely, as we're at that point with our dog.

They can't say it in words, but on her behalf, a huge thanks for taking her in and giving her a good home and caring for her and giving her a dignified and comfortable passing. A big hug to you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:09 am 
Site Admin

It's always tough saying goodbye. I had three of mine euthanized at the vet, and the last one at home, and it never got any easier.

It sounds like she had a wonderful life, and a peaceful passing. I always take comfort from what one vet said to me, that it's better to let them go a few days to early, than a few hours too late. Condolences and hugs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sorry you lost your friend but it sounds like you gave her a good life.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:48 pm 

I'm so sorry, Tempest.

It's always hard to say goodbye to a friend you've had for so long. But the best gift you can give them, after a wonderful life, is a comfortable death. It was so, so hard to say goodbye to my old kitty almost 5 years ago now; but I knew it was the right decision for him.

There's a saying I hear a lot, and it really rings true for me; You need to take away their pain, and make it your own.

Hugs to you. From your posts, I could tell she was a really special old girl.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:37 am 

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. You gave her a long, lovely life and made sure she didn't suffer through protracted declinig health. It's the best we can do for our pets.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:20 am 

I’m sorry
Glad you had her in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:50 pm 

Thank you so much, everyone. Your kind words really do mean a lot to me.

Herbaceous, she was a special cat indeed. I got her when she was an eight-week-old humane society blue light special. She was trusting and gentle and affectionate right up to the very end. Sure, we owe our pets a good life and people love to talk about that. But we also owe them a good death. I think I timed it well. I do miss her, but her long life was beautiful as she was.