The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:29 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Re: Frustrated With Dog
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:32 pm 

Thanks, everyone.

Dirt - we've had "the talk" with our vet, and they do have a specific hospice care program; it's the biggest reason we moved over to this vet from our last one. That was probably four years ago, and we didn't expect her to last this long, but she keeps waking up every morning.

Honestly, I don't know what goes through her head, because she'll take a pill, pick it up, spit it out, then walk two feet, turn around and eat it. Or one day, she'll only take her meds under the bed. Next day, she'll only take them in the hall. She's bonkers.

As my great uncle used to say, "That one's full of piss and vinegar!"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:08 pm 

I have been off the site for a while. Any update on your dog?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:50 pm 

^^^ She's doing pretty good, considering. I think she didn't adapt well to the new kennel at all (located at the vet's), and try as I might, I can't get them to understand basic instructions about pills, contact info, etc for the life of me, even though I write everything down for them.

Anyway, she's been great with her pills, maybe she's missed two in the last two weeks, so that's saying something. The way she is, though, she could wake up tomorrow and suddenly decide she'll only take her pills if I put them on a special plate, or use my left hand only. She seems to go through weird phases like that. Right now, she has to have them under the bed.

Food is going ok. She eats three times a day and has generally been good about eating her meals. She did get retested for the E. coli infection she had and she passed that, so that was good. Now that she's off antibiotics, though, her trembling/chattering jaw is back.

She's been pretty lively. Today, she spent 10 minutes running from inside the house to outside to the shed and back again, over and over. She's a nut.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:48 pm 

Glad things are improving, CarryOn.

If she has to be on gigantic, nasty-ass pills in the future, maybe you can get in touch with a compounding pharmacy and see if they can help. I know they're helpful for meds that don't come in a format that works for the patient (like if really young children are on an unusual med that's not available in chewable or liquid form). Your vet might know of one that does flavors, etc for animals.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:59 am 
Site Admin

It really is amazing how much we put up with from our ancient, cranky animals. They do get to be trying at the end of their lives, that's for sure. Guess we love them anyway :-)