The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:28 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: 2018 Travels
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:40 am 

Might as well get the ball rolling:

This month, we're heading to Ireland/NI for nearly two weeks, a fly-and-drive, where we'll fly into Dublin, pick up a car, then drive around the north coast, then down the west coast, all the way to Dingle, then flying home from Shannon. Stops will include the Boyne Valley, the Coastal Causeway, Donegal, Westport, and Dingle.

Surprise bonus trip: a fly-and-drive in November, going to the Cotswolds in England. We're using hotel points and the wife found a good deal on flights and a car, so this will be cheaper than the US-based road trip we were going to do. This will be a big nostalgia trip for us, because we used to live near Banbury, so we're planning on driving around some familiar territory while we're there.

Post subject: Re: 2018 Travels
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:23 pm 

The trip sounds great. Not too much for the time. The Cotswolds is one of my favorite destinations. It is terrific you were able to include it into your travels.

I have not been to Ireland. I hope you will post some photos from your trip.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:28 pm 

That sounds awesome, CarryOn! Please tell us all about it when you get back.

We’re not doing a big trip this year for financial reasons. We renovated the house last year, so money’s a little tighter than normal.

But I did just book us a local trip - we’re going camping at Algonquin Park for 5 nights in August. I’ve booked us a site at one of the developed campgrounds, in a radio-free, dog-free section of the park (hopefully it will be quiet!). There’s 2 beaches close by, and it’s a short drive to a couple restaurants, a general store, a bike rental, and hiking trails. I’m excited!

Soon after that, I’m taking a short trip to Nashville for my best friend’s bachelorette party. We’ve rented a house with a pool, hot tub, bbq, the whole nine yards. I know we’ll be out on the town at least one night, but I’m also hoping to spend a good amount of time lounging around. Hopefully it will be fun, I’m not a huge fan of country music.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

I'm very interested to see your Ireland pictures. I've decided that next year is going to be my year to cross three motorcycle related things off my list - going to the Portland Motorcycle Film Festival in January (because Portland and motorcycles), going to MotoGP in Austin in April (or wherever they decide to have the North American round if not Austin), and going back to the Isle of Man for the Classic TT and then on to Ireland for a week, in August. So any Ireland feedback is appreciated :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:47 pm 

Almost forgot: while the forum was down, husband and I had our 10-year wedding anniversary. We did a weekend getaway to Prince Edward County, Ontario’s other wine region. I booked us a suite at a resort with a porch and gorgeous lakefront view. The resort had 2 restaurants and a microbrewery on-site.

The first day, we drove down, checked in, had a nice lunch at the restaurant, and then happily imbibed at the microbrewery before relaxing at the suite and then heading back to the restaurant for dinner.

Second day, we slept in, went to the other restaurant for brunch (the chicken liver pate was to die for), and then I’d scheduled us a wine tour. We were picked up by our guide, and we were the only ones on the tour and the guide was super knowledgeable, so we visited 5 different wineries (including one where they had an adorable golden retriever puppy), happily tasting and buying bottles at every stop. After being dropped off back at the resort, we relaxed for a bit, then back out to the same restaurant we were at the night before - only this time, we were seated next to the windows where we could watch the sunset.

The final day, we sadly checked out, then headed to the artisan cheese factory. Sampled just about all the cheeses they had and bought the best ones. Next we went to a cider house with a brewpub for lunch. Sat in Muskoka chairs overlooking the vineyards and lake while we enjoyed our cider flights and lunch. After lunch, we made one final stop at a distillery to sample and buy some amazing gins and whiskies before driving back home.

It was my second time in Prince Edward County (first time for husband), and we really loved it there. Would definitely recommend it - it’s less crowded than Niagara and feels a little less touristy, but there’s plenty to see and do, especially if you like to drink :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:57 pm 

I moved house to Wales in January this year, so a LOT of expense involved (this just after having spent a fortune on the previous gaff) so no hols for me. Instead I'll be taking days out and exploring my new local area , which will include The Evo Triangle and a hoon around there. I've got Snowdonia on my doorstep, Brecon Beacons etc so plenty to go out from my home base.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:11 am 

I went to the Beacons once, on a painfully long day trip from Oxfordshire, 1993 or '94. It was spectacular.

We'd walked to the top, and I was dangling my feet over a fairly sheer drop down, eating and apple when, out of nowhere, a damn sheep popped its head up over the side edge and tried to take my apple!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:41 pm 

You can tell our personality differences from my and my wife's carry on luggage. She's carrying her PacSafe theft-proof shoulder bag and a roller backpack, with all the funky design patterns those things have.

I'm carrying a shoulder bag and a duffel, both in canvas-lined, finely-crafted Italian leather.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:47 pm 

I didn't have plans to travel anywhere this year since my husband is going to teach in China again this year (provided the work permit and visas come through by July). Then I was getting so burnt out and dealing with some depression and somehow the idea of plopping myself on a beach sounded like a good idea. I had settled on a place in Costa Rica, but the flight alone was just too much. Even on cheaper airlines, it meant a lot of convoluted stops to get there and a 3 hour ride to the resort. I'm it putting off to next year since this was kind of last minute. So we went to plan B.

We are going to spend 6 days in Seattle starting next week. Flights through Alaska Airlines are quite reasonable and I've heard good things about that airline. We are staying a really nice airbnb that has balcony with beautiful views close to the touristy places and a bus stop to explore other places. I'm kind of excited. I don't have a major plan other than a couple places I definitely want to go to (not that gumwall because that sounds disgusting). I'm just packing a carryon this time. I don't want to deal with checking luggage.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:53 pm 

Just flew from Cincy to Boston, en route to Dublin.

First, the good: the flight was on time, arrived early, and no screamers.

Now, the bad: the highway department picked today, a summer Sunday, to close down half the interstate lanes in Cincy; causing massive delays. Idiot Of The Decade Award goes to...

On the flight, we had the obligatory barefoot woman. People, my wife worked for the airlines, part of her job was cleaning the carpet between flights, when she had time. Guess how many times she had time? About zero. Those floors are filthy, and besides, that's just nasty. Nobody wants to experience your corny, buniony naked stank-foot. Put your damn shoes on!

Next, the woman across from me who ignored the attendants collecting trash the five times they came through the cabin and buzzed them over while we were landing to pick her shit up. Get your face out of your phone!

This guy gets a first-class ticket to hell. He sat down when he boarded, got all his shit out, then a woman showed up and said, "You're in my seat."

"Oh, sorry...to be honest, I didn't check, I just sat down."

That's more like to be lying. He sat himself in the first row of comfort class, and his seat was in last row of comfort class. Get a better story, asshole!

Then there was the lady who was in coach who had friends in first class. She spent about 75% of the flight standing in the aisle in first class, blocking the way, to chat with her friends. Hey! They bought first class to get some peace from you! Buy a ticket next time or get your ass back in coach.

I'm generally supportive of flight attendants, because it can be a shitty, thankless job, but I have to give it to them for figuring out a way get us served nearly last, even though we were in the third comfort class row.

One attendant was handling the four rows of first class. One attendant went halfway back to coach and started there, and a third one started on the first row of comfort class.

Well, she was a Chatty Cathy, and after several minutes, she still hadn't served the five people in the row. Then a fourth attendant showed up, took over the first row, and sent Chatty Cathy to...the fourth row, just behind us. Nearly everyone was served before we were. Delta! We didn't pay extra for comfort class to have the rabble in coach getting their almonds before we did!

Not only that, the different carts had different snacks, and I liked the snacks on the other cart better. And, Chatty Cathy was giving everyone one of each snack, but Bad Breath Betty was making us choose. No, BBB! NO!

We got to Logan airport, where we've never been, so I was looking forward to seeing it. Wrong! It's a dump. Dump dump dumpity dump!

We went to Lucky's Lounge to eat, after bypassing the Harpoon Lounge and that's the first thing: all the "sit down" restaurants in the terminal were small. Tiny. Not conducive to a lot of people.

Our restaurant was shaped like a skinny triangle, and we were sat in the point - one small table. Up and next to us was a family of four I just wanted to murder, then incant them back to life, just to murder again. Indifferent dad, pimply teenage son, precocious girl, and Mom.

Mom. Was. The worst. She was the ultimate mother hen: "Emma, sit there. Put your bag down. Put your bag down right there. There, honey. Right there. Tommy, back there. Daddy is going to sit there. Everyone is getting water. Where's the waitress? Waitress!"

When the waitstaff got there, Mom of course ordered for everyone, and when the food arrived, she took over for the server! She got up and started doling out the food!

When Dad arrived, he looked so defeated. He just sat in his spot like that's where he's been sitting for the last 6,000 years and would be sitting for the next 6,000 and started eating the food already sitting there. All I could think was that he'd probably been sitting in a stall in the bathroom, just happy for three minutes of quiet, contemplating slashing his wrists.

On the other side next to us was another family. Husband, wife, two small kids. Dad was Mr. Clueless Prick. Space was super-tight, and he just plopped his shit down in the middle of the floor, then did a combo manspread-manstretch, entirely cutting the server off from us. We had to tell him to move his shit three times. He'd move it, let the server in, then move it back. O, Dickhead, your bags are not a damn gate and you are not Mr. You May Pass By Me If You Answer These Riddles Three.

All of that, though...it dawned on me in the gate area at Cincy that none of that is why I hate flying. I just don't like other people that much. Not live and in person, anyway. The flight was full, the gate was crowded, and people kept bumping me and stepping on and over each other, and I thought, "Why are you all here? Go the hell home already!"

I would love to be able to do things and not have mindless crowds around me. That's the gist of it. I just don't like people in a very general sense.