The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:31 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Re: Travelling
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:28 pm 

I never went on vacation with my parents from about 6 years old - that was the last year they took the caravan on the road. After that, if us kids were lucky, Dad would drive us around in the car one day in the summer. Maybe a castle, or Hadrian's Wall, or somewhere like that, but that was all pretty local stuff - and I suspect as much to get us out from under Mum's feet as anything. I did travel a little bit when I got older - Youth Hostelling in the Lakes with Guides, away with a friend on their local holiday... and a school trip to Northern France, but no big family holidays for us. I did start travelling further when I was an adult - France, Yugoslavia, but it wasn't until DH and I got married that we came to the US more often - three times in the 3 years before we moved here.

We're busy planning a trip to Banff/Jasper right now, and it's a lot of work!! I'm doing route/sights planning while he's planning the hikes. I've been "packing" since last week, mainly because the next 2 weeks at work are going to be a bitch. I love travelling, but the preparation before gets a little overwhelming. He booked all the flights and hotels months ago, but we just changed the hotel in Jasper to the Fairmont because the one we picked wasn't going to work...

Post subject: Re: Travelling
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:21 am 

^^My husband and I did a Banff-Jasper-Kelowna-Vancouver road trip for our summer vacation 2 years ago - let me know if you want any advice or recommendations! When you're in Jasper, I highly recommend hiking the Valley of Five Lakes. It's a fairly easy hike compared to most in the area (since it's not a hike up an actual mountain), but it is so gorgeous - each lake is a different shade of blue-green. I thought it was prettier than Lake Louise.