The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:41 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:50 am 
Site Admin

I am so glad I'm not the only one who obsesses over my wallet, phone and passport at the airport. I must check 40 times that I still have them between leaving home and getting on the plane. The rest of it doesn't bother me so much though. I just find the waiting around as tiresome as fuck, and it seems lately every flight I've been on has been delayed or cancelled. Flying really is a pain n the posterior. I'd rather take a good road trip any day.

Safe travels home. Shame your last day was all screwed up.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:09 am 

@LaT - I'm going to look into that. Seriously, I'm to the point I need to do something, or at this rate, I won't be flying much any more, which is unacceptable.

I spent a lot of time thinking about it on the long flight back, and I never used to be this way. I think for a lot of people, that changed with the increased security after 9-11, but that never bothered me.

As ridiculous as it sounds, we had an absolutely brutal return flight(s) from Budapest in 2010, I can't remember how long, but it ended up being something like 45 hours from start to finish, and the majority of the issues was breakdowns in process, followed by officious pricks at every step, and I'm starting to think I've got some kind of damn low-level PTSD from that whole experience, because the parts that freak me out are either weirdo breakdowns or dealing with airline/govt employees who do not listen or show any kind of empathy when things go wrong, and they just make it worse.

@Ali - I was the same way when I rode public transportation. I fingered by 30-Day bus pas constantly, I'm sure folks thought I was some kind of OCD weirdo.

I'm also like that with my phone. These days, lose your phone, you lose half your life, and it's expensive. I know there are a lot of studies done about phone behaviors, but they should do one about phone anxiety based on losing a thousand dollar piece of equipment that has all your shit on it.

Anyway...

Getting home was a bear. Getting to NY was fine, but then we sat on the taxiway for an hour, with the pilot occasionally playing pessimist with announcements like, "We're in the queue to take off, but if we're not up in 6-8 minutes, we're going to be delayed a long time. A long, long time." Then 10 minutes went by and he'd pop on and say something in a similar vein.

We finally took off and landed in Cincy, landing about 9:30PM. Here's where the fun began.

Since we live over an hour from the airport, we decided before we left to treat ourselves and book a room at the hotel that's attached to the airport. Airport is on one side of the garage, hotel is opposite. Grab your bags, up and outside, walk across the parking lot (more or less) and you're at the hotel.

Got our bags, walked out, and they're doing construction all around the garage. It's a "you can't get there from here" situation. Plus, it was raining, and after 10PM, so we decided to grab the hotel shuttle.

Waited...waited...waited...no shuttle. Called the hotel. Rang...rang...rang...no answer.

Finally, I said, "Look, let's get the car from off-site parking, then we'll just drive back to the hotel."

Got on the shuttle, but even with our little slip of paper showing where we parked, the driver couldn't find it, and being dark and rainy, we couldn't see anything. I finally had him drop the wife and the bags at a shelter, and I walked around four rows of cars until I found it.

Back at the hotel, we parked and went in and, being charitable, it was a bit worse for wear. The gentleman checking people in was very nice, but verrrrry slow at it.

Finally got our room, went back to it, opened the door, instantly greeted with wet musty basement smell, but figured it was late and just one night, so ok.

Closed the door...and the door wouldn't lock. Nope, not gonna work.

Wife went down to report that, and came back with "They're sending maintenance." At 11:15PM.

I went back down and nicely asked the gentleman if he would put us in another room, being that we'd been up about 30 hours and it was going on 11:30PM. We didn't want to wait for maintenance.

He was helping another couple, and in that time, the maintenance guy showed up, declared the door inoperative, and reported it back to the desk.

He offered us a smaller room, at the same price, at which point I decided I'd rather just drive the 75 minutes home, so he promised to cancel our reservation, and give us some reward points.

Finally got home at about 1AM, put some things away, then went to bed. Woke up this morning to a notice from the hotel company that we're being charged for the room due to being a no-show, so now we have that to clear up.

Also, it's a holiday today, so we can't collect the dog until to tomorrow, and when we got back to the US and on our regular phone plan, there was a voicemail from the kennel for the day after we left, saying there was a problem, she wouldn't take her meds, she bit a vet worker, and now we're going crazy because we can't get ahold of them because of the holiday.

Besides the obvious issue at hand, I both stated and wrote down in our instructions that we were out of the country and unreachable by phone. They have our email, the wife's FB Messenger ID, and they could have texted. I told them at least six times in five minutes, "If something happens, you can't call." Fat lotta good that did.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:43 am 

Ok, some good stuff about flying this time around:

1. I've never had an easier time getting into either country. With the VA flight into London, I'm assuming it's a VA perk, but we were given little tickets when we deplaned that allowed us to completely skip filling out a landing card and going through the usual 2+ hour passport clearance for non-EU members.

Instead, there was a separate lane for VA Fast Track, and we skipped all that mess, went to a different line with maybe three other people ahead of us, and we were in the UK in literally less than 10 minutes.

I know the UK is scheduled to roll out a similar scheme for US/Canada passport holders soon, so maybe they saw what VA was doing and liked that.

2. Same with leaving. First class was usually busy checking in, and apparently there's another level of first class, where private cars drop travelers off. Well, they're *weren't* busy, so they came down and got several of us and processed us through in no time, including a separate security area. One bad mark, we were in the lounge, and they never announced our gate. If I hadn't been obsessing over that, we could have missed our flights, because they don't release the gate info into the terminal until about 10 minutes before boarding.

3. Coming back, Global Entry was a breeze. Again, passed the long-ass line for the usual passport check, scanned my passport and my fingerprints at a kiosk, it took my picture, walked up to an officer with just a couple of people in front of me, and...ZOOM...I was in. Customs as well, all one shot.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:09 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Finally got home at about 1AM, put some things away, then went to bed. Woke up this morning to a notice from the hotel company that we're being charged for the room due to being a no-show, so now we have that to clear up.
Oh, that's epic. That's the one advantage of Visa. I've had hotel issues a couple of times and after trying to deal with the source being dicks about it, I've just called Visa, told them the story, and they're like "No problem. Charge has been reversed. Anything else I can help with?" if all else fails, save the aggravation and just go that route.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:37 pm 

^^^ It's going to be worse, because we paid with points, so we'll have to argue with the hotel, unfortunately.

I'm hoping for the best, though.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, ugh. Hopefully it all gets sorted out.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
what if I fall asleep and fart in my sleep
This made my inner 12 year old boy giggle.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:33 pm 

Sorry you've had such a 'mare CO, how's the dog?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:20 pm 

^^^ Oh, the dog...

The wife picked her up at 9AM this morning. What she found out was the "she's not taking her meds" voicemail really meant, "she's not taking some of her pain pills, but she's taking the heart meds" - which is a big difference. A week without her twice a day heart pills might not have ended well.

Kate was fine when she got home, barreled out of the car and ran around the yard for 10 solid minutes. At the kennel, even their potty area is technically inside (like an enclosed courtyard, so I think she was glad to stretch her legs.

Odd thing - the AC man was here this morning, and usually when there's a stranger in the house, she goes crazier than a shithouse rat with the barking. Not this time - she walked out of the back, stopped and looked at him, then wandered out to the living room and sacked out on the easy chair.

Thanks for asking.