The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:15 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1416 Next
 Post subject: Re: What Are You Baking?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:49 am 

Pie, as in fruit pie, I don't care for at all. Cake versus pie, I'm definitely Team Cake. I'll make a pie a couple of times a year for the wife, but that's about it.

Pie, as in meat pie, I could eat every day. :)

Fruit tarts, I've made a few of those, usually plum, apple, or pear, and I like those a bit more than a two-crust fruit pie. I like spreading the glaze on top and it gets that really shiny, almost plastic look. I love that.

It's interesting to note the cultural differences. I have a few American cookbooks and a few Euro/Brit cookbooks, and the desserts are not quite the same. Lots of sugar in the American ones, where the others are sweetened more with fruit.

Years ago, we were in Vienna and went to the famous hotel/cafe for Sacher torte. I liked it, because I like bitter chocolate, but MrsCO hated it, and her main complaint was, "This isn't sweet at all. It's almost savory. Blech!"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:09 am 

I'm Austrian, and I can live without Sacher torte. Taste is okay, but not fluffy. Need a ton of whipped cream (schlag) to make it worthwhile. But RogerRabbit loves it (without the schlag!), so I have made it for his birthday. It's quite a challenging recipe.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:24 am 

@ CO

I know what you mean about the glaze on a fruit tart, it looks amazing (especially over a big mountain of fruit, my faves are things like peaches, nectarines, berries or pineapple....things with a bit of sharpness to them).

I really dislike things that are overly sweet, I don't buy ice-cream because of the tooth rotting sweetness of it. I make my own occasionally and have to cut down the quantity of sugar in the recipe by 75% otherwise it's just inedible.

I've never tried a Sacher torte, again all that chocolate just has no appeal.

Anyone ever made a savoury cake? I quite like the idea of that, the texture of cake without the sweetness, the recipes I've found tend to be just savoury scones.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:29 am 

^^^ I did just recently have savory shortbread and it was a lot better than expected.

Regarding that glaze...the first time I ever saw that was in 1995 in a bakery in Munich, and I seriously thought it was either fake, like glazed ceramic, or something else they did to a fruit dessert to catch the eye and render it inedible at the same time. Oh, what an unsophisticated rube I was!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:25 pm 

I’m with you on the pie vs cake CarryOn. I’d rather eat cake than pie any day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:43 am 

On pies though, I have to agree that any pie I've eaten in the US has been overly sweet, especially those ones like pecan and pumpkin....Like CO said a cultural thing probably.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

I think that's a North American thing in general. When I first moved from New Zealand I was shocked by how much sugar was in things like chocolate milk, and how sickly sweet a lot of the baking was.

I'd take pie over cake any day of the week. Meat pie? Nom nom nom. A mince and cheese pie is the first thing that goes in my mouth, every time I go home to New Zealand. Pasties are the first thing when I go to England. I sometimes ride my motorbike for 80km to get to a pub that does stellar apple pie. Deep dish fruit pie of any sort is not safe around me, although I have a special spot for Saskatoon berry and rhubarb and strawberry versions.

And then we have the New Zealand faves - custard pie (a hand pie made of a sweet, almost shortbread pastry, filled with cold custard and dusted with nutmeg or cinnamon) and fruit pie (same base, but filled with pieces of sliced fruit set in gelatin, and usually edged with whipped cream). There's always a custard pie on my must eat list at home too.

And how could I forget bacon and egg pie? I must make one of those at home, one of these days. One of the pizza companies here does a bacon and egg pizza ... all my Canadian friends are horrified, but it's the best thing EVER.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:42 pm 

My mum used to make the most fantastic bacon and egg pie (a flan really), she'd make an enormous one in a roasting tin, she was a dab hand with pastry and all of her pies were fabulous.

I was reading an article just yesterday about the amount of salt and sugar in US foods vs UK, there was a mention of soup and how a typical can of US soup would have 29% of your RDA of salt vs a 10% in the UK ..... and I still think a lot of processed foods, like tinned soup, are too salty! Not that it matters to me much, I think the only 'processed' food I buy is cheese .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:03 am 

^^^ Like a lot of kids of my generation, I grew up on Campbell's Tomato Soup and their Chicken Noodle Soup.

You think it's salty - my mom would never follow the directions of reconstituting the soup with one can of milk or water, depending, she'd always use half that because, "it tastes too bland with a whole can."

Both of us, to this day, are real salt cravers. Before I started minding what I eat, I'd pour out a pile of table salt and roll each French fry in that to coat it. My fries always looked like little confections. My mom is the only person I know who gives her fried bacon a big dose of salt before she eats it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:36 pm 

Devil's Food cake with a cream cheese frosting. I think I overbeat the frosting, because it's *really* light and whippy, which I don't prefer. I like frostings you could spackle a wall with.

Attachments:
241B0B31-0A7C-479D-8D70-88EF7686155A.jpeg
241B0B31-0A7C-479D-8D70-88EF7686155A.jpeg [ 147.28 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1416 Next