The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:11 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: What Are You Cooking?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:50 am 

We bought an old-fashioned wicker picnic basket and had our first picnic a couple of weeks ago.

Since Brits are the undisputed champions of picnicking, we went with a British-inspired menu of cheese and pickle sandwiches, salads with Heinz salad cream dressing, creamy new potato salad (much better than dry old potato salad :) ), blueberry scones, and Pimm's jelly jars (a gelatin dessert made with Pimm's and fruit in one layer, and a set sweet cream top layer).
Attachment:
21515E78-084E-4FCE-8C5D-6D830E5227DF.jpeg
21515E78-084E-4FCE-8C5D-6D830E5227DF.jpeg [ 141.92 KiB | Viewed 1678 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:42 am 

That is an impressive picnic spread!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:46 am 
Site Admin

Hopefully no bears came to try and steal your pic-a-nic basket.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:16 am 

^^^ Our tastes are too refined for a bear. They'd skip our basket. Of course, that means they'd eat us, though I hope in these enlightened times, Yogi and Boo-Boo are vegan.

We've also done an Italian one, with salami-egg-tapenade sandwiches, cannellini bean salad, Parmesan cheese crisps, a grape olive oil cake, prosecco, and amaretto coffees.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:17 am 

Attachment:
2FFA184D-FBD0-467E-9930-048A2D65C468.jpeg
2FFA184D-FBD0-467E-9930-048A2D65C468.jpeg [ 189.07 KiB | Viewed 1668 times ]
Spanish chorizo frittata, with potatoes and Swiss cheese.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:12 pm 

^^That is one seriously impressive picnic, CarryOn!

So a study came out a couple weeks ago showing that the best way to reduce your carbon footprint (other than not having children) is to go vegan. I’m an environmentalist, and while I have absolutely no intention of going full vegan, I’m trying to make more vegan/vegetarian food. Tonight I made tofu and veg stir-fry with ramen and peanut sauce.

Does anyone have any good, filling, hearty vegan recipes? Husband always complains that vegetarian food leaves him hungry unless he eats a lot of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:54 am 

^ W00t! I was wondering when you'd take that step, given your username and environmentalism ;)

Ironically, I hate it when people say this is the best solution for the environment. Even if everyone somehow went vegan, the planet still wouldn't be able to support an exponentially growing number of humans. :roll: Moving on...

Vegan food is generally poorer in calories (which is great for some people, less so for others), so he might need to eat bigger portions or grab snacks in between meals.

My boyfriend went vegan in January and has managed not to lose any weight, even though he wants to, haha! It's probably because he eats lots of bread and junk food, and doesn't exercise... Carbs under any form are filling -- bread, pasta, potatoes, beans. Tofu is great (and tastes awesome when fried with barbecue sauce), as are meat replacers. These are getting better and better by the way, you can't even tell with some of them.

I'll post some recipes when I get home. The minimalist baker has plenty of good ones though, like this 5 ingredient sweet potato and black bean chilli: https://minimalistbaker.com/5-ingredien ... ean-chili/

I've always had stomach problems due to an insane metabolism. I felt hungry all the time even when I was omni. I still get hungry really fast, but I feel that it's become slightly more manageable on a vegan diet. Not sure why, maybe because I'm lactose intolerant, so I've stopped constantly irritating my gut. In any case, the point is going veg*an doesn't mean feeling hungry all the time, even though some people do struggle with this until they find the right regimen/recipes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:50 am 

Last night, I made a simple meal of pasta tossed in basil pesto (made with my own basil) and I had some Italian sausage lying around, so I fried that up and threw it in.

More and more, things like that are my favorites - simple, and made by raiding the pantry.

I tried using my stick blender to make the pesto. Fail. I watched a bunch of videos online, and everyone was just stick-blending away, but when I tried it, all the basil leaves just got crammed down in the bottom of the bowl and the blender couldn't do anything with them. After several minutes, I got mad, dragged out the food processor, dumped everything in there, and three seconds later...pesto.

FU, stick blender. You're dead to me!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:21 am 

^^Thanks for the tips and the link to Minimalist Baker, Arte! Husband is still grumbling (he told me he could deal with eating vegetarian one day a week...sorry dude, it's gonna be more frequent than that), but he'll live. He comes from a family that is very meat-and-potatoes, and is used to eating meat at almost every meal. He's also doing the intermittent fasting thing, and so he says that the one meal a day he does eat has to be hearty & filling. That I can understand, but we seem to have different definitions of what constitutes a hearty meal...I really think it's partially psychological with him. He thinks "I have to eat meat to feel full" so of course if there's no meat, he's convinced he'll be hungry in a couple hours, and he feels hungry in a couple hours.

I'll keep experimenting...and when I find something that works, I'll post about it here.

So after that discussion of vegan food, we had bagel BELTs (Bacon, egg, lettuce and tomato) for dinner last night. Quick, easy, and a million times better than the Tim Horton's version (I've never had one from Timmy's but I've heard they're pretty gross).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:34 am 

Herbaceous, I've been (ovo-lacto) vegetarian for almost 25 years, so I've obviously tried a lot of vegetarian recipes. This stew among the very best, and it's "accidentally" vegan if you don't add the Parmesan cheese. My spouse and I have even made it for my meat-loving FIL, and he liked it.

Here's a link: http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/moo ... tew-297252

One modification: for the pureed squash, you can use squash baby food.