The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:10 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:12 am 

^^Wow, that dude sounds like - to borrow a phrase from LaTormenta - a weapons-grade wanker.

It's funny some of the stereotypes you run into when you travel, and how that can affect your behavior. I'm Canadian, and so the stereotype is that we're supposed to be super-polite and pleasant. When I travel, I feel this extra pressure to be SUPER DUPER THE POLITEST PERSON IN THE UNIVERSE because I don't want to be the asshole Canadian that shatters someone's (positive) perception of us.

That being said, I've been mistaken for an American a few times while travelling abroad (I've been told I have a very generic North American sounding accent). It's not all bad though - a couple years ago in Scotland at the Caol Ila distillery, we were asked if we were from the States. We answered, nope, Canada, and the guy apologized profusely and gave us extra drams because he was so worried he'd insulted us!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:15 am 

I wonder if people play up to the stereotype, consciously or unconsciously, I seem to, especially when in America.....Like Herbaceous said about getting super duper polite, I seem to put on my bestest poshest British accent and start talking the Queen.....and I refuse to say tomayto! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:01 pm 

^^^ That dude was a dick. He rattled off about 32 offensive things in 15 minutes. He was the type of guy who goes on vacation just to assure himself that wherever he's living is better than everywhere else: "Yep, just as I suspected...Ireland is full of lazy people and shitty roads...Go, Annapolis!"

He also seemed hellbent in telling you that your vacation, compared to his, is the shittiest vacation ever shat out: "Is that your Toyota out there? Yeah, we rented the Audi. A8. That's right, the *big* one."

His wife was sweet as could be, though. :?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:11 pm 

You know how some folks go to Stonehenge and say, "Aw, that's just a pile of rocks!"? Well, this really *is* a pile of rocks.

It's a megalithic burial tomb, and we had to drive down a pretty narrow road to get to it, and we stopped where it was supposed to be, and we were literally leaning on it looking for it.
Attachment:
23A6E12E-1D8E-4FD3-AC70-3A36A6975477.jpeg
23A6E12E-1D8E-4FD3-AC70-3A36A6975477.jpeg [ 212.75 KiB | Viewed 3103 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:52 pm 

^^What LaTormenta said regarding accents reminded me of this: http://theoatmeal.com/pl/minor_differences4/accents

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:27 am 

Quote:

His wife was sweet as could be, though. :?
Doesn't that so often seem to be the way, I wonder why people put up with this shit and 'no', the 'you can't choose who you love' excuse is just so much fermented moose jissum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:29 am 

Quote:
:lol: Priceless and I really do talk like that, me ole mucker!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:14 am 

All in all, we had a really good trip, probably 8.5/10. There were some frustrations, though:

1. Consistently half-assed directions (we also had this problem the first time we went to Ireland). I think they give directions like you already know where to go and you just need a gentle reminder.

The worst case was the B&B owner who gave us such generic instructions that it took us nearly 40 minutes to find a pub that was four minutes away, and on the same street. She said, "Oh, it's just four minutes' drive, just at the roundabout, you can't miss the big sign, and they have a lovely car park."

What she didn't say was the car park was two blocks before the pub (so even closer to us) and was unmarked, and that the pub faced away, so the only way to see the big sign was to drive completely around the roundabout and head back the way you came.

For people who've never been there, I think it would have been a little better to say, "Take a right onto the street, then look for a car park on the right side. It's not marked, but it's surrounded by a low yellow wall. Park there and walk two blocks down the street, and the pub is just there. You'll be approaching from the back, so it's the building that's painted to same yellow as the car park wall."

Would that have been so hard?

2. Same B&B owner, when we went to pay and leave, wouldn't take a credit card, even though her website said she did (and it was one of the reasons we picked her).

She advertises through a B&B finder, and that's where it said she took cards: "Well, I used to, but I already have to pay them €24 for you booking, and if I take a card, I have to pay the card people another €20 or so, and I'm not making any money, you see."

The wife, who relys on good info like that for her clients, asked her why the finder website still showed she takes cards: "Oh, I haven't quite got around to telling them yet." That sounded a lot like, "I don't want potential customers to go elsewhere," to us.

Anyway, we had to find an ATM (more shitty directions), get cash and pay her, and then she didn't have change, and it ended up costing us an hour on a long day, and that cascaded down, putting us in bad traffic both in the morning and afternoon in Belfast, and made us two hours late getting to our next B&B.

3. I still don't know what happened here, and it's hard to explain my thinking, but we went to Trim for dinner and parked at a Pay and Display city lot. It was 4:45PM, and I needed €1.20 for one hour, but I only had a €2 coin.

I walked across the street to buy something small to break a €5 note, walked back, looked at my change and noticed I had gotten another €2 coin and .80 cents.

So I said, "Screw it, I'm not walking back over there again," and I put in the .80 for just under an hour. It ran out at 5:52PM, and that's when I noticed that parking fees stopped at 6PM. Eight freaking minutes I was short!

At home, I would have ignored it, but on vacation aboard, the last thing I wanted was to get clamped after hours, and that's when I noticed the machine took ApplePay. Yes!

So I stepped through, picked the minimum time (at .50), confirmed, held up my phone, and...the damn thing charged me €10! Not only that, it didn't print out any kind of slip, so I didn't even get that.

I ended up just waiting until 6PM, just to see if a parking officer showed up to check tickets, in case I had to explain. No one did, so I would have been fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hahaha, OMG at the Apple Pay thing! And it looks like you struck the best Irish weather ever, from those photos.

OMG, American tourists like that guy in the B&B - I would love, one of these days, to just look at someone like that and say "Dude, you're a total asshole". It really is a shame that they're the type of Americans that travel, because most of you are actually pretty decent. I've run across a few of them too ... like the ones at the coffee plantation in Costa Rica who were being dicks before the tour even started. We had a lone American girl in our group that day, and when the tour guide went around the group asking where we were all from, she said "Canada" ... which made us all burst into laughter.

I've had a few friends tell me the same thing about asking for directions in Ireland - it's almost like they're not in a hurry, and don't see why you should be either!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:49 pm 

This reminds me of when we were on holiday in Ireland. We asked a local for directions, and he was eager to help. As we were setting off he said "now watch out for the new roundabout they've built at the end of the road. Ah but sure, you won't know it's new" :lol: