The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:25 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:40 am 

I have wanderlust the entire time! I've been lucky enough to visit various countries (nearly 30) but it's not enough lol and every time I hear about people going to cool places I get so envious. Only thing stopping me is time and money. I used to save hard and every couple of years I'd go somewhere I really want to go but travel is getting so expensive now it's depressing. I was looking at a tour company that I'd used to travel to a bucket-list destination with around 5 years ago and it's nearly £1k more in price! I could never afford that now.

It's such a first world problem and I've been lucky so far but I want more! it's all I want to do. I love it. I love the excitement of packing, getting on the aeroplane, the high you get taking off, looking out the window. I love seeing wildlife and beautiful landscapes and trying local foods and experiencing the different cultures, learning new things and making fantastic memories. It's wonderful!

I used to work with a guy (he met his wife late on in life and they have no kids) and they've been to 100 countries! Right now they've skipped the rain to fly to somewhere exotic I could only dream of going to, but they have the money to do it. I'll live vicariously through their FB pics...

I'm thinking I might just start entering competitions in the hope of winning trips to visit interesting places.

Anyone else just love to travel? :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:06 am 

Yup, I spend a lot of my mental energy thinking about the last trip and planning the next one. We were in London in late 2017, Ireland in early 2018, just got back from the Cotswolds this week, and Suffolk in May already booked, and we're kicking around ideas for a late 2019 trip.

I used to love to fly, but it's so miserable now, I don't look forward to that part. The flight itself is the least-bad part, and that's saying something.

Once I'm on the ground, though, I'm generally pretty good.

So where do you want to go? Heading up our list:

Mediterranean cruise
Anything UK/British Isles
Germany at Christmas
Scandinavian cruise
Romania
Baltic States
Normandy
Russia
Prague
Swiss train holiday
Austria

We've done a lot of those, but once is never enough.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:35 am 

Adding some more thoughts:

We're helped out in that my wife and I are on the same page regarding travel. We both like to go, we both like Europe in general, and England is like our other home, so no squabbles there.

We have a niece...she dreams about travel, all her FB posts are inspirational travel quotes, and she inherited a bit of money recently; not a ton, but enough to finance several decent trips.

Has she went anywhere? Yep: Florida (where she's been 20 times before). It's all because her husband is opposed to traveling, just doesn't see the point of it.

Anyway, we have to consciously save for our trips, we're not rolling in funds, we're just disciplined. We also always think in terms of travel costs: we have a 15 year old couch because a new couch is airfare to Europe for us. Every time we get a vet bill for our dog, we think, "That's three nights' stay in a London hotel," and it keeps us on the vacation planning track.

My family all think we're loaded like the Rockefellers, but they all have kids and no saving discipline. That's the difference.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:39 am 
Site Admin

Sign up for all the specials sites you can ... I don't know if you have the equivalent of Travelzoo in the UK, but they're great. Travelzoo is how I scored my first trip to Iceland when they started flying from Canada - $620 for a 3 night/4 day package. They just had a weeklong trip to China including flights for $900.

I'm also a member of a couple of FB groups that are based in my city, that post some amazing specials - might be worth a shot if you have a FB account. That group just posted flights to Palm Springs in CA In January for $284 return - I'm pissed that I already have plans for the three weekends in Jan that I could have gone!

And yep, I LOVE travelling. When I downsize my house and have a bunch more disposable income, I am going to jump on all the deals I can. In the meantime, I'm like CO - if I want to go somewhere I prioritize planning for it. My car is older, my house is comfortable but nothing amazing, most of my work clothes are consignment store, I rarely eat out. A lot of my money goes on travelling. I also travel a lot to pursue hobbies - tripping to various hills in snowboard season, or doing motorcycle related trips next year. Even a weekend away in a tent feels like a mini vacation to me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:27 pm 

I'm from the UK. I would like to visit - Galapagos Islands, Papua New Guinea, Canada, Tasmania, Chile, Iceland etc. I wish I'd gone to Iceland after the volcano incident, it was cheap as chips then. Now it's back to being expensive again :(

Sorry your niece isn't getting away like she'd like to I've been to Florida a few times as a teenager and it's fun but there's a whole world to explore! She couldn't go by herself or with a friend or family member? My partner likes travelling too but he complains frequently about queuing at airports and getting through security etc, often says he's never flying again! But he changes his mind after :lol:

I'll have a look and see if there's anything like Travelzoo here. I've done a couple of organised group tours, they were pretty fun. But I'm happy to do things cheap as possible, as long as accommodation is clean I'm happy. Thanks for the tips!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

They do have TZ there, I just checked. A ten night trip to Nepal for 800 quid? Bastards!!!
Quote:
I'm from the UK. I would like to visit - Galapagos Islands, Papua New Guinea, Canada, Tasmania, Chile, Iceland etc.
It's always interesting how people from different parts of the world view other parts of the world. Because I'm from NZ and we're basically at the ass end of the earth, Europe is the number one destination for us (that and LA, apparently). But people from England live right next door to Europe, and all they want to do is go to Fiji, Bali and Australia. I've met people in Canada who think that Vanuatu is the height of exotic, while most of the people I know from NZ who've been there say it's the height of boring!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:51 am 

Quote:
They do have TZ there, I just checked. A ten night trip to Nepal for 800 quid? Bastards!!!
Quote:
I'm from the UK. I would like to visit - Galapagos Islands, Papua New Guinea, Canada, Tasmania, Chile, Iceland etc.
It's always interesting how people from different parts of the world view other parts of the world. Because I'm from NZ and we're basically at the ass end of the earth, Europe is the number one destination for us (that and LA, apparently). But people from England live right next door to Europe, and all they want to do is go to Fiji, Bali and Australia. I've met people in Canada who think that Vanuatu is the height of exotic, while most of the people I know from NZ who've been there say it's the height of boring!
Cool, I've been to NZ, I love it! Just a shame it's so damn far away I would love to back one day. I do love places with palm trees and pretty beaches haha. Although I'm not into lying on a beach all day, I like exploring a country. Yeah so many people just want to escape NZ/Aus and go overseas! One of my friends is Australian and hates the heat so she settled in England. I guess people want the opposite to what they have :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:03 am 

Yes, so much so that besides paying the mortgage and doing house renovation, it's the only reason I stay in the job I'm in at the moment as it's well paid. Like yourself I just love to travel, and I find I learn something new about myself and life every time I go, plus I make new friends along the way. One of my older colleagues in work (also CF), says he only works to make "pocket money" to travel!

I have visited a fair few countries myself, some of them a couple or a few times for various reasons, but I always want to experience new places and cultures. I'm a bit of a dark tourist and I like unusual experiences and cultures. At the moment I've narrowed it down to wanting to visit each continent, then I want to branch out and try to visit every country before I die. Apart from Canada, the US and Tunisia in the past, I've mainly travelled to Europe due to distance and budget at the moment. I've got a scratch map above my desk in the office and I love looking at it.

When I first bought my house I was unable to travel for a few years due to the cost of buying, setting up a new home etc., and I felt it so bad! Are you able to get a better paid job to save more funds?

Glad I've found like minded people on here who share the wanderlust, cheers to being CF and being able to live the awesome life :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:36 am 

Instead of booking tours through agencies, do it yourself. Much cheaper. Look for good airfare deals, use booking.com, travel overland by bus, etc. Choose cheaper areas to travel in like the Balkans, Southeast Asia, Central America, etc.

As for travel inspiration, check out the blog of this guy who aims to visit every country in the world (so far he has visited 172 out of a total of 203), doing so in one single journey without flying:

http://www.onceuponasaga.dk/blog