The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:27 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1192 posts ]  Go to page Previous 191 92 93 94 95120 Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:06 pm 

French toast with strawberries and maple syrup this morning, and baked spaghetti tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:36 pm 

Now that we’re back from vacation and into the routine of working, I’m hoping to get back into vegan meals a few times a week. Tonight I made a vegan West African peanut stew. Onion, yellow pepper, garlic, tomato paste, tomatoes, chickpeas, coconut milk, and peanut butter all simmered together on the stovetop. The recipe said it was good served over steamed broccoli, which sounded weird, but I had some broccoli that I meant to make earlier this week, so I cut that up and served the stew over that. It was really good! Husband liked it too - he said it was similar to the Moroccan stew that I make and he loves (recipe on page 3 of this thread for those who are interested).

I also made spaghetti sauce earlier, and I have a pot of chili simmering on the stove to freeze and take to my friend who just had a baby. I hope I’m being a good friend. (She’s my best friend - we’ve been besties for over 30 years - and I’m so terrified that the baby will push us apart).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:37 pm 

I made a vegan pasta salad this morning to take to my friend; that and the frozen chili and spaghetti sauce were all gratefully received.

For dinner, we just wanted something quick so we had bacon, fried eggs, and toast (served with a generous squeeze of HP sauce for me). Really, really hit the spot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:27 pm 

I currently have a pot of vegan pumpkin curry on the stove. I added extra veg so husband hopefully won’t be hungry after - I added potatoes and carrots in addition to the red pepper, pumpkin, and broccoli called for in the recipe. Going to serve it over rice.

I’m the only one who’s posted on this thread for a while - CarryOn, are you still out there? Is everyone just getting takeout?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:36 am 

Oh, I'm living off my usual diet of soups, stews, casseroles, chilli, curry etc....anything that can be done in one pot or in the slow cooker.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:53 am 

Quote:
I’m the only one who’s posted on this thread for a while - CarryOn, are you still out there? Is everyone just getting takeout?
Sorry, I'm still here, just a lot going on. The wife had another medical emergency and we think we're past the flurry of appointments that always follow things like that.

Let's see...what have I cooked...baked spaghetti, which should really be called broiled spaghetti, because it's done on the stovetop and stuck under the broiler for the last minute...roasted leeks and cauliflower in a light mustard-flavored oil...eggs Florentine with roasted potatoes thrown in, that was a big hit...bread...a five-layer Tex-Mex dip with baked tortilla chips (not doing that again)...a couple of salads...a nice bacon-and-cheese omelette...an apple pie...chili...fried bologna sandwiches...afternoon tea..and a big German apple puff pancake.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:27 am 

^^I hope everything's OK, CarryOn.

On Sunday I went on a long (80km) bike ride with friends all over the city, so before we left in the morning I got dinner into the crockpot: Moroccan chicken and green olive tagine (stew). I love this recipe because you just toss everything into the crockpot, set it, and come back 6 hours later to dinner. Husband was complaining the other day that I haven't made it in a while (I usually don't do stews in summer).

Last night I made real lowbrow food, stovetop hamburger noodle casserole. Browned a pound of ground beef, then added onions and peppers. Once those started to soften, I added a can of tomatoes, a can of condensed tomato soup (the horror!) and a can of condensed cream of celery soup (double horror!). Stirred those together then added a bit of milk, dry pasta, and spices, then let the pasta cook in the sauce. I liked it, husband was less thrilled but also liked it. It's certainly not a culinary masterpiece, but it was easy and quick to throw together after we got back home from voting (yesterday was the federal election).

I've been making scrambled tofu for breakfasts the past couple of days, and I also made some really nice oatmeal on the weekend - steel-cut oats with pears that I cooked in a little butter and brown sugar. I left the house on Saturday after I ate, and when I got home I asked husband "Did you put away the leftover oatmeal?" and he said "Yep, I put it in my belly!" He seemed to really enjoy it for someone who "doesn't like oatmeal" :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:45 pm 

^^^ Thanks, we're getting through it.

French onion soup tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:14 pm 

Pork-And-Apple pie (which also had onions and potatoes in it).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

It's turning into crockpot weather here. I really have to get on to doing some food prep, as I have been SO slack with it the last few weeks. I've eaten more takeout lunches in the last two weeks than I have in the last two years. And this weekend I'm going to Banff for the film festival, so likely won't get anything prepped before Monday. Ugh.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1192 posts ]  Go to page Previous 191 92 93 94 95120 Next