The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:44 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1474 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1144 145 146 147 148 Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:15 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
^^Soda? What’s that? Is it something you use to get the stains out of your chesterfield after you drop your poutine on it, if a serviette isn’t sufficient? That happened to me once, I was holding both my poutine and a mickey while trying to adjust my touque.

Last night I use some leftover rotisserie chicken to make chicken pot pie, with potatoes, green beans, carrots and a homemade biscuit crust.

Tonight, I made wine-braised beef. Served it over noodles with baked acorn squash. It’s chilly out today but supposed to get warmer later this week so I’m trying to get all the cold-weather dishes in now.
That's it. I'm going to drink this entire two-four of Molson all by myself, eh. :P

Isn't serviette just French for napkin? I understand why they call it that in Quebec, but why also in the rest of Canada?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:31 am 

Quote:

Isn't serviette just French for napkin? I understand why they call it that in Quebec, but why also in the rest of Canada?
It's not exclusive to Canada, serviette is also used in the UK, usually in relation to a paper napkin.

There are loads of French words in common usage in English, I found out just recently that 'television' is a French word. Who'd have thunk it!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:19 am 
Site Admin

Hmm. I can jump in my car and be in Mexico in 30 minutes but I've never referred to a napkin as a "servilleta" when otherwise speaking English. :)

FSM knows I throw plenty of other Spanish words into my conversations though. Generally curse words, lol.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:57 am 

You possibly would do if it was a word that had been absorbed into English, rather like the Spanish words; patio, mesa, ranch, chaps, platinum, savvy etc.

I don't understand why you find it so objectionable (and always feel the need to make some passive-aggressive snarky comment) about the fact that different parts of the Anglosphere and that includes different parts of the US, use different words to you.

What do you call a baguette or when you have a feeling of deja vu, or want a vinaigrette dressing, or a bottle of champagne...do you fish around for some tortured English words instead?

Oh and napkin is also derived from the French word 'nappe' (hence the English word nappy) and diaper is also a French word (diapre).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry this wasn't where I was trying to go and I apologize if I come off as passive-aggressive. I'm just fascinated by regional differences in speech and language and I guess not very good at expressing it. :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:33 am 

Last night...cooking with no recipe, which is something I rarely do, but something I intend to do more of, as it's so much less stressful and energy-draining.

Heated some oil in a fry pan, in with olives (black and green), cherry tomatoes, and thick-sliced garlic, red pepper flakes, and oregano. While that was sautéing, I boiled up some linguini and once that was done, tossed the pasta into the fry pan, and mixed that with fresh basil and topped with Romano cheese. Easy and delicious.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:08 am 

Summer weekends, we do a lot of snacks on the front porch, and yesterday was the first one of the season: hummus and white sangria.

I really don't get the love affair with hummus. It's ok, I wouldn't turn my nose up at it, but there are plenty of other things I'd rather have, and yet, when you say "hummus," there are people who will lose their minds trying to get across how awesome it is. :?:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:31 pm 

^^I'm one of the hummus lovers. I go through a startling quantity of hummus. Lately I've been getting caramelized onion hummus, which is delicious - my local grocery store has a sells a ton of different varieties of hummus (although lately we're back to ordering groceries online because the pandemic here is currently at its absolute worst). I put hummus on toast, dip veggies in it, spread it on sandwiches, and use it as a base for sauces.

The night before last, I made peanut-ginger chicken thighs in the crockpot. Stupid easy - mix some salsa, peanut butter, ginger, concentrated OJ, soy sauce, and curry powder in the crockpot, then throw in the chicken and let it do its thing. Served with rice and steamed broccoli.

Last night I made shepherd's pie with a potato-and-squash topping. I like the combo of potatoes and squash, it adds a bit more flavour and nutrition.

Tonight husband made chicken pad thai.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:01 am 

Good meal last night, also no real recipe:

Poured a bottle of beer into a skillet, added some seasonings/herbs and brown sugar, then in with some fresh brats.

Steamed those in the beer for a bit, then reduced down the sauce to be a bit more syrupy, in with some kraut and warmed that through.

In the meantime, I boiled some premade pierogis (potato and cheese), dumped the kraut onto a platter, wiped out the pan, in with some bacon grease, then added the brats and the pierogis back to that to crisp up.

Served with German mustard and German beer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:40 pm 

I made pickle soup tonight, served with the sourdough bread I baked yesterday.

It came out extra-yummy tonight, not sure why!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1474 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1144 145 146 147 148 Next