The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:43 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:46 am 

I would like to start watching more movies. I’ve never been much of a tv watcher so the remote & use of the TV naturally fell to my husband (who does watch tv & sports) and a byproduct of that is that I quit watching movies. I used to enjoy them and I want to again.

The genre of fantasy is so big & prevalent that I want this thread to exclude it, otherwise it could easily take over the whole thread.

So, what movies have you seen lately? How were they? What documentaries have you seen? How were they? What is a film that really made an inpression on you and you highly recommend?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:00 am 

I went a loooooong time without watching any movies & then saw a bunch in a couple weeks time:

Death of Stalin: Meh, I thought it would be better/funnier.

Roma: Much slower film than the previews let on. But it was good, an enjoyable watch overall. Mostly it’s worth watching for Yalitza Aparicio, her performance was really something. Big fan.

Cold War: Solid movie, two thumbs up. Throughly enjoyed Joanna Kulig in this.

Alamar: I LOVED this. It was really different & such a pleasure to watch.

Bad Reputation: Joan Jett documentary watched last night. Very endearing portrait of her & was fun watching the old 80’s footage of her & associated acts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:22 am 

I watched 'Green Book' last night, I enjoyed it...a feel good film with a harder edge inspired by actual events.

I'd also recommend (out of the lastest crop) 'The Favourite' and 'Bohemian Rhapsody', you certainly don't have to know anything much about Queen or be a fan to enjoy the film and 'Bad Times at the El Royale'.

Others I'd recommend:

Hereditary
First Man
Deadpool 2 (which is much funnier than the first)
The Meg is great fun if you like a bit of old fashioned B movie creature features.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:25 am 

Do you count horror/supernatural mystery as "fantasy?"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:27 am 

...or sci-fi?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:07 am 

Quote:
Do you count horror/supernatural mystery as "fantasy?"
For the purposes of this thread, yes. I don’t mean to be non inclusive but taken together they kinda dominate the overall film culture currently. Separate threads for fantasy/sci fi/supernatural and for drama/comedy/thriller/mystery/documentaries (not that docs really belong lumped in but I already did it that way) seem better for dialogue & searching/skimming.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:08 am 

LaTormenta, some of these are on my watchlist. I hadn’t heard of the El Royale title, looks fun, thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:34 am 

Others I've thought of, which are a bit older, so may already have been seen:

3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Trainspotting 2
Molly's Game
Baby Driver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:36 am 

I watched "Fyre: The Greatest Party that Never Happened" on Netflix not long ago. I quite enjoyed it - back when the whole debacle happened, I'd never heard of the Fyre Festival, and I'd forgotten that Ja Rule even existed. It was framed in the media as "Haha look at these rich millennials freaking out when their accommodations aren't as opulent as they thought! Haha look they spent stupid amounts of cash to go to a music festival with Blink182!" But the real story was far worse - inadequate housing, food, lack of water and sanitation - they were quite lucky they were able to get everyone off the island without any major injuries or deaths.

I really enjoy watching documentaries, especially when I'm taking sick days from work. Load up on the NeoCitran and watch documentaries with intermittent naps is my usual sick day routine (especially since I don't have any brats to chase after!)

I wish I could watch the Hulu Fyre Festival documentary, but Hulu isn't available in Canada.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:53 pm 

I saw 3 billboards in the theatre I think, I recall liking it. I love Francis McDomrmand.

Herbaceous- I liked both the Fyre docs. I was in utter disbelief watching them. There is not enough Xanax in the world to have killed my anxiety if I’d been on that island involved in the planning & production of this event. I can’t believe how many of them stayed through the very end. It was insane. They are lucky as hell no one got killed or seriously injured. That was some Lord of the flies shit.

And yeah, Ja Rule, funny to see him surface out of no where tangled up in this somehow. What an odd bunch, watching that crew of idiots was something else.

I love documentaries too.