The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:39 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17 18 Next
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:20 am 

No spoilers ahead, just an outline:

Mum is a comedy of sorts, centered around a recently-widowed woman and her family and friends. Her son is a bit dim and kind of shiftless, in a harmless way, and his airhead girlfriend is a hoot; she's always putting her foot in her mouth without realizing it.

Her little brother is recently divorced (I think) and is dating (married to?) a harpish social climber. He's probably the one who invokes the most pity in me, because even though he's far from perfect, he's genuine.

Her husband's parents are also around, typically inappropriate senior citizens (say whatever they feel like).

The main secondary character, though, is her and her husband's best friend. He's obviously been in love with her since the day they met, and everyone can see it but her. He's set to move to Spain, but keeps putting it off in order to stay close to her, but he doesn't have the balls to tell her how he feels.

It's not a laugh-track sitcom, just more of a year-in-the-life observational kind of thing.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:44 am 

We did get the notice that series 4 of Grantchestee will finally air here, starting in July.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:39 pm 

I've been bingeing on cooking shows today, and I think I've discovered all my celebrity crushes are TV chefs.

Lorraine Pascal, Rachel Khoo, Nigella Lawson...oh my!

In truth, though, Nigella is kind of a love-hate thing - she's built like Sophia Loren, and she always claims that she's a real down-to-earth, simple girl at heart, but that too-posh-by-half accent and her casual smugness really put me off.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:52 am 
Site Admin

Game of Thrones. After last night's episode... wow. It will be interesting to see how they tie things up in the series finale next weekend.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:22 am 
Site Admin

I've never watched GoT, but I read all the episode recaps online. Why did so many people hate last night's episode?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:42 am 
Site Admin

I have mixed feelings about it. Mostly due to the pacing. All the "oh shit" moments felt rushed. Other than that I liked it.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:44 am 

I haven't seen it yet (so no spoilers please), I'm going to watch the last two episodes together, but I suspect that as it's the penultimate episode there's a lot to get through quickly.....and in comparison with the other series, which took their time over developing the plots and outcomes, this is probably going to feel rather rushed and unsatisfying. As much as I love this programme and think it's some of the best telly EVER, this final series seems to have been in a bit too much of a hurry to reach a conclusion, when there's such a lot of shit still going on that needed to be properly developed.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:45 pm 

I've been rewatching Madmen. It's still quite a brilliant show.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:07 am 

I watched the first three episodes of Good Omens last night....I can't make up my mind, it's not awful, but it's not great either. I think the casting is a bit off, making the characters feel a bit weak and unimposing (I mean when you have characters like War, Famine and the Voice of God, they should be larger than life, but they seem feeble and underplayed to me).

I reckon they've also been a bit ambitious trying to stuff it all into 6 episodes, there's a lot of mileage to be had with the minor characters who bring a lot of colour and humour in the book, but they seem to have been a bit sidelined. Considering there is such great material in the book I don't understand why Neil Gaiman seems to have glossed over the other characters and then chucked in some extra, gratuitous backstory of the two leads for the TV adaptation.

Good Omens is my favouritest book of all time, so maybe watching the series without having read the book would be preferable, you could then just take it at face value.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:03 pm 

I've been on a BritBox/Acorn binge. With the wife out of town, I'm watching stuff that she's either not interested in or she is, but she'll never get around to watching them.

I watched Lady Chatterley with Joely Richardson and Sean "I'm in more stuff than Judi Dench" Bean. We watched that when it first came out, so that had to be around 1992-1994. I distinctly remember Ms Richardson running around with her bare ass hanging out for a good portion of the program, so it was nice to see some nostalgic rump, I suppose. :lol:

Then, since I watched that, it rolled me right into Fanny Hill, which was ok. Based on the book, and it's the typical "country bumpkin moves to city, gets tricked into working in a brothel, has her ups and downs, but it's all ok in the end" story.

I also watched a documentary on why men see sex workers (really, you need an investigative report for that?), and a documentary about Victorian sexual practices.

And now I'm 2/3rds of the way through Brief Encounters, a series about broke women in an economically depressed town selling sexy underwear and sex toys to make some extra money. I didn't expect to like it at all, but it's pretty good. I usually like Penelope Wilton in anything.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17 18 Next