The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:05 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:38 am 

Good grief.

https://www.cbc.ca/parents/learning/vie ... arged-fare

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:14 am 

Sufferin' Jaysus, their entitlement never stops.....I couldn't but help have a rant of that thread. What goes on in breeders heads that they think their kid doesn't take up a seat (unaccompanied or not). the entitlement is breathtaking!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:41 am 

Right? I had to read it a few times because I thought there was something I wasn't getting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:43 am 
Site Admin

They use the service, they pay for it. End of.The only exception should be todders under 2 that can sit on their parents laps (although god knows they never do, as a paying adult you're expected to give up your seat so the little assholes can sit down, WTF).

The transit in my city is half price for kids under 12, but they still have to pay. I've run into a couple of parents with this same attitude though - my kid is with me, why should I pay for him? I hope those people get caught by the transit police and slapped with a fine.

I remember that I used to take the train all the time with my parents growing up, and this wasn't even a question. They just paid the fare and that was that. Entitlement indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:48 am 

^ Exactly, as a kid I (or my parents) paid a reduced rate, but it certainly wasn't fucking free and more importantly no fucker expected it to be!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

At least he's getting roasted in the comments.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:42 am 

There are some cities in which kids go free if accompanied by an adult, and if that's the case, he great. But that's the exception, not the rule. It's something to be pleasantly surprised about if it's available, not something to get upset about if it's unavailable.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:01 pm 

Why is he complaining. The kid takes up a seat and he would pay more for a coffee each day then what the ticket would cost.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:11 pm 

Yeah some people are idiots with a serious sense of entitlement.

I've been on buses where people with strollers come on and expect the elderly people to move - sometimes expecting people in wheelchairs to move!

I don't know what other countries have for how their buses are set up. Here, there are about 6-9 seats on either side of the bus (some buses only have 6, some have more) right at the front for 'special riders'. Elderly & people with disabilities are the priority. Below them are people with strollers. Then everyone else. It's not a big deal. Each seat has a little symbol on it & there are signs everywhere. Those are the seats that fold up to make room.

One day last year I was on the bus and on one side there were 3 elderly people, all with walkers, sitting at the front. The other side there was a guy with a broken ankle & another guy with a broken leg (they had crutches & casts on), then an elderly woman with a walker. The bus pulls up to a stop and a lady with a stroller comes on and the bus driver tried to tell everyone to move back! (where there were zero seats & barely room to move with all the people standing). The passengers ended up having to verbally fight for the right to sit there. Me & a couple other people spoke up and the driver finally conceded and told the woman to move down to the back. People made room for the stroller, squishing but it fit.

The driver then went on a grumbling rant about it so I reported him.

I'm sorry but if I was 60 & could barely walk & too old or eyes not good enough to drive - you take the bus - but to then be treated like crap? No thanks. Also, all those people could barely walk & you want them to stand up during the ride? What? So dumb.

I also have a friend who is a personal support worker who on multiple times had been out with a client who is in a wheelchair & they needed to take the bus (as it was the only option). Some buses would refuse them saying that they were full. Recently she & her client were waiting for an hour as a bus literally had no room as they were people with wheelchairs already on it. The next bus came eventually & they were refused - but she could see several people with strollers at the front. But the people didn't want to move so the driver didn't want to get involved & instead she and her client had to wait again. (Drivers are supposed to make people move for wheelchairs - it was total BS). So the girl/client (who was just 15) burst into tears. Her condition doesn't allow for her to be transferred into a normal vehicle or it can make it worse so they had no choice but to wait for the next bus which was another 30 minutes.

Times like that it really makes me mad that people seem to think they're God just because they have a baby with them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:24 am 

I believe that you can bring three small kids onto NYC subways and buses for free, as long as you're a paying adult. I rarely see people actually bringing kids on the subways though, but I'm usually on the Lexington Ave line when I ride the subway, and it's during rush hour. When I do see kids on the subway, I've seen a surprising number of maybe age 11 and up riding alone. I've seen only a few visibly pregnant women on the subways too. NYC subways are often packed like sardine cans during rush hour though, so I'm thinking that anyone who can avoid a rush hour trip does. It would be sheer hell to monitor and collect multiple kids on a rush hour subway ride.