The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:33 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: I love this column
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

I follow a blog on Facebook called Peter and Jane, which is written by Gil Sims (of "Why Mummy Drinks") and is absolutely hilarious.

This is today's post. I laughed out loud. Am I ever glad I never had children.

https://www.facebook.com/peterandjanean ... __tn__=K-R

Post subject: Re: I love this column
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:49 am 

:lol: Hilarious and so much schadenfreude to be had at the same time.

Reason #386,970,268,154 not to have kids......school holidays!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:39 am 

Fucking school holidays....and it's not just the summer. The summer just happens to be the longest. There are LOTS of other holidays sprinkled in throughout the school year. I swear, when I was in school, we did NOT get a fraction of the holidays that the students of today enjoy. The school year has been shortened. Schools are teaching less and less. I was in grade school from the fall of 1979 until the spring of 1992 when I graduated high school. We started in late August/early September and we did NOT see the first "break" until Thanksgiving. And even then, we only got the Thursday (Thanksgiving day) and the Friday off. We didn't get the whole fucking week like kids today do. Granted, kids today start school in early-mid August, which is slightly earlier than we did back in my day. However, just weeks into the school year, in addition to Labor Day in September, they go on Fall Break. Which is the Fall version of Spring Break. And it is a whole week off. Then there are teacher work days scattered here and there. Then comes November. Veterans Day, teacher work days, and Thanksgiving Break, which is the WHOLE week of Thanksgiving. By this point, they aren't even half way through the school year, and they have already had 2 FULL weeks off, plus state and local holidays, plus teacher work days. And holy fucking shit, fucking Christmas!! That is a MINIMUM of THREE WEEKS off. And most of the time, it's more than that. They actually call it "second summer".

In January, in addition to the Martin Luther King holiday, there are two more teacher work days added on, making it a "winter break". This is completely separate from Christmas break. February has President's Day, plus...teacher work days. March is Spring Break. Yet another full week off. Then they get back from Spring Break, and what's right around the corner, but not before more holidays and teacher work days?? Ahh...yes! SUMMER!! Yay!!

I just laugh until my face muscles ache every time I hear a breeder cry out "but, but, but ANOTHER HOLIDAY??? BUT, THEY JUST HAD ONE!!" :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

So this, right? It's the same here - every time there's a holiday, they get the day before, or the day after, or the rest of the week if it's midweek. When I was at school we got public holidays, a week in between terms (and there were only three terms then, not four) and summer holidays, which admittedly was almost 2 months. But that was it. None of these extra days and reading weeks and study days and teacher only days.

If you can't afford to pack them off to camp and you don't have relatives willing to take them, summer must be hell on wheels. Especially now you can't pack them off outside all day - on our summer holidays we were practically thrown out of the house in the morning, and told not to come back. And we were happy to oblige! My parents just had my 12 year old niece with them for a week on her holidays, and my mother said she had to be entertained every second of the day - not a clue on how to amuse herself.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:37 pm 

Wow, I haven't kept track of the K-12 holidays too much, so I was quite surprised to see some of the postings about their lengths. Growing up I remember the holidays getting shorter, not longer. By the time we were in high school, a good portion of all of the holidays with the exception of summer was spent doing some amount of homework because the teachers didn't want us to come back to class having forgotten the information we were taught. It often made three days weekends just seem like cram time before exams.

My niece and nephew are too young to start going to most schools, (can you imagine two 1 year old's in kindergarten? Yes, I am aware of day cares and pre-schools, but that's the parents call, not mine.) but it does make me glad that I'm childfree because aside from traffic issues it doesn't effect my life near as much as it would if I was a mother. It also reassures me that my idea of being the "good aunt" in the future by having brief weekend visits where I play with nieces and nephews will be more likely to be appreciated by my siblings than sending the latest/greatest toys/gifts.