The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:06 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:41 am 

This made me laugh because I don't want to be asked to babysit by anyone, ever, and I'd certainly never ask a new mother if I could.

https://www.cbc.ca/parents/learning/vie ... itter-test

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:59 pm 

If a new mother tried hand me her infant, I'd walk away before she could or else hand it right back. Give me a puppy, and I'll walk away with it for hours.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:57 pm 

Anyone who has ever watched me attempt to interact with a child knows better than to ask me to babysit. And I’m pretty open about my hatred of babies/small kids. Anyone who thinks I would want to babysit their kid obviously doesn’t know me very well.

That having been said, the mom in the article sounds like an asshole. People are offering to help you out, and you run a sneaky “test” on them to see if they’re up to your exacting standards? Fuck off with that shit.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

Meh, I don't think this is so bad. It's her first kid, and it's important to her that it's well looked after. If there are plenty of people in the family who are good with kids, then let them at it first. If I was headed out for a date night, the last thing I'd want would be someone clueless blowing up my phone every five minutes.

That said though, I'd have white lied to the SIL and told her that they had other people that they'd promised sitter duties to first. Sometime later. maybe (as in when they learn to change a diaper, maybe). Telling them that they failed the "test" is kinda bitchy ... that could have been handled much better.

I think about my cat the same way, honestly ... I'm super picky about who she stays with, and when she interacts with people, I watch to see what happens. I'd never leave her with just anyone, so I get how this mom feels.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:02 am 

I agree with the some of the comments, what 'test' exactly did this overbearing bitch pass to become a parent?

I do get you don't want to leave your prized possession with any useless fuckwit, but it shows a complete lack of tact and general understanding to spout off about passing tests.

We all do it, we check other people out, especially if we want some help or support from them...but what we don't do is be so gauche and up yourself as to tell people they're being 'tested' to see if they're worthy. I'd have thought that these new parents would have known their family members sufficiently to be able to make a judgement anyway, seeing as they didn't it shows complete lack of perspicacity on their part.

Strewth, I was #6 and by that time my mother was happy to let the cat babysit!