The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:31 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 1924 Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:38 am 

Work is incredibly stressful right now... I almost had to work today, but my boss couldn't get everything she needed to do done in time, so told me not to come in. So today, I'm focusing on getting the house ready for my sister and BIL visiting (they arrive Thursday evening). I started on Laundry (ours plus 2 more beds and sets of towels); next it's setting the Roomba off in the kitchen while I vacuum upstairs, then when Roomba's done I get to steam all the downstairs tile - and maybe repair some grout. I can concentrate on it without having to deal with anyone in my way...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:24 pm 

I had quite the busy weekend last weekend!

Woke up on Saturday morning, and made the spontaneous decision to meet up with some friends for a bike ride to my city’s “Open doors” events. Place that normally aren’t open to the public open up and there are tours and so on. We rode to the local mill, had a tour there and learned all about how they mill wheat into flour - it was really interesting. Then we rode to a privately owned park, did a circuit around there, and some members showed us how to play bocce. Next stop was a local historic house that I ride past every day, but have never been inside. We toured the house and saw some old artifacts and archives from our city.

After the ride I headed home and had a quick shower, and husband and I went to visit some friends of ours and meet their new puppy. We played with the puppy, bounced on their trampoline (whee!), drank some wine, and sat on the deck. Then we had a delicious steak dinner, drank some scotch, smoked some weed (it’s legal here) and played video games. We crashed at their place that night - we pretty much always stay over when we visit them since it’s too far to drive back.

Up the next morning, had brunch at the local pub, then visited their fave local coffee shop. It’s horror-themed, so there’s portraits of different horror movie characters and stuff on the walls. Nifty shop.

Then we drove home, fed the cats, and got ready for the concert we had tix to that night - Dear Rouge, Live, Bush, and Our Lady Peace. Met up with a friend and took the train to the venue, grabbed some food, and found our seats. What a show! All 4 bands were really amazing. It was my first time seeing Live and Bush, and they both totally killed it. The lead singer of Bush is still hot, too. Our Lady Peace was amazing as always (and their lead singer is also still hot!)

I could not have done one-tenth of this if I’d had a kid to look after.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:40 am 
Site Admin

Live, Bush, and Our Lady Peace? Time to party like it's 1995!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:18 am 

Had the day off work and got ready for the 1000 Km trip to Bathurst for the race. That 10 days of beer, buddies and bullshit is just one more thing I'd have been screwed out off if I'd had kids.
Along with the travel, a hobby car and being able to be semi retired at 55.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:59 pm 

I've decided to landscape the garden into something a little nicer. So I am doing different areas at a time. I spent the day finding plants and putting it all together. It looks so much better. It makes me sound 80 years old lol.

I am now putting together designs for other areas of the garden - I like the English Cottage style which funnily enough looks like it's just been thrown together but comes with a bit of thought. I'm just glad I can spend as much time out in the garden as I like without being interrupted, I enjoy it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:57 pm 

I had a bike ride event this morning, so I woke up and went to that. Did the 20 km route, and enjoyed the free Timbits (donut holes for you non-Canadians) afterwards. Chatted with some cycling friends, then off to karate class. It was my first class since June (I take summers off from training), and man I’m rusty. I suck pretty bad at karate, but it’s still a good workout.

Afterwards, husband and I went out shopping for a new bedspread, since our old one that we got as a wedding gift from my parents has officially bitten the dust...11 years and 3 cats later, it’s toast. Got a new bedspread and a new duvet cover, then I went out to do the grocery shopping, made dinner, and now I’m just relaxing and playing around online.

I can tell you what I’m not doing because I don’t have kids - I’m not freaking out and scrambling to try to figure out what to do with my damn kids when school support staff strike on Monday. Everyone’s freaking out trying to arrange childcare, and I’m just like “yep...must suck to be you!”

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:20 pm 

Another bike ride today, and husband actually joined me for this one! I rode down to the start, and he drove. Had a fun, slow roll ride with a bunch of cycling friends, and then after we were hungry so I suggested going for lunch. A group of around 10 of us all went to the local pub for beers and food. The food was really good, and it was fun to hang out and chat with people (I met all these people at various cycling events all over my city). After a nice, long, leisurely lunch, we headed back home to relax before dinner.

Because I don’t have kids, I was able to just hang out with my friends and relax for as long as I wanted, and head back home on my own schedule.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Yesterday I did my first technical official training for weightlifting, at a local competition. I had to do two judging stints - that was kind of stressful - while we're judging the lifting our mentors are judging us, as well as acting as the jury. We got called to the carpet on one session because all of us missed a "dirty clean" ... the jury overturned our call, and we all got sent back in disgrace :-)

I also got to do weigh ins, and manual scorekeeping. It was a long day. I left home at 7am and didn't get back until almost 8pm.

Then today I went out with the motorcycle meetup group for the day, making the most of the weather while it's good. There was still a significant amount of snow out in the foothills after last week's snowfall, and there's more in the forecast for Tuesday, with the temperatures going to drop below 0C. So that may be the last long ride for this year - time to put the beast away for the winter and drag out the winter wardrobe.

I got in tonight after the ride and the cat jumped on my lap, giving me a reproachful "You've been gone all damn weekend!" glare. At least I could leave her out in the yard while I was gone. Can't do that with kids!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:49 am 

Got in extra hours at work...grabbed something simple for dinner...and am now sitting here plinking around on the internet with the elderly cat on my lap. Later on I'll probably go play Fallout for far too long before going to bed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:48 pm 

Today? Did 3 hours at work, came home. Gave the hobby car some TLC. Tonight is my one big internet time for the week. Were I a parent, I'd still be working full time.
And wouldn't be able to have the luxury of a hobby car, or many of the objects that I enjoy.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 1924 Next