The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:45 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 16 Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:26 pm 

Went to see Lewis Black last night.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:32 pm 

Yesterday a friend contacted my husband. Friend said that someone he knows has some ceramics in a local art show, and did we want to join him for art-viewing, followed by dinner/whatever?

Sure. Of course.

So we went downtown, appreciated her very cool ceramics, wandered around a bit (the art walk is very tiny and just getting off the ground). We picked out a really super brewpub and sat in the 21+ section, where I had some really scrumptious cauliflower au gratin. The spouse found some really tasty mead and wants to go back. If we hadn't left our growler at home he would've had it filled.

It was probably about a 98 percent adult crowd there, actually. There was party with an infant and another party with a couple preschool types. The parents looked glazed and tired.

We stayed for a long time talking and catching up, and eventually left. I like not having my evening schedule dictated by a sitter or by some little kid's bedtime.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:15 pm 

I went to my local “Seedy Saturday” event and bought some new varieties of seeds for my vegetable garden. Tomorrow I plan to start peppers and tomatoes (indoors). In a couple of months the danger of frost will have passed so they can go outside then.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:34 pm 

Had a productive day today!

Woke up earlier than husband, had a nice breakfast, then drank tea and worked on my knitting while waiting for him to get up. He finally woke up (at like noon), and had breakfast, then we had to get a few things so we went to the mall. Got new shoes (one pair each) and new bath towels, since our old ones are over 10 years old and fraying really badly.

Back home, lunch, and then I started some seeds. Planted 20 tomato seeds with 6 different varieties. Got some veggie stock simmering on the stove, the ribs in the pressure cooker for dinner, and then puttered around tidying up some stuff while they cooked. Had a really good dinner, and now I’m going to play video games until bedtime.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

You're reminding me of the last time I started seeds. I decided I'd like some grasses waving in the wind in the back garden, so I bought some seeds and a 72-spot terrarium, and started to grow them inside. It said once they got to four inches to take the lid off the terrarium, and put them in the sun. I was very excited to see them all sprout, and duly took the lid off, put them on the sideboard, and went to work. When I came home, the cats had eaten every.single.one down to nothing. Little shits! Hence why I didn't have plants in the house with Pika and Sam, they only ate them. Now I have Aja I might try again ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:29 pm 

Due to it being Good Friday, I was the Adult-In-Charge at work until about noon, when I sent everyone home. No one was getting anything done anyway, so I called my boss and confirmed that it was OK to stop the charade. Now I'm sitting at home, waiting for the rain to start, and alternating between reading a book on code breaking during WWII and watching the goldfinches that are visiting the feeders.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:30 pm 

Took the day off, completely unaware that it's Easter Weekend (heathen that I am), and drove an hour to have breakfast with my retired brother, then back home to run all sorts of errands, and just took my sweet-ass time doing it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:14 pm 

CO, you're not the only one...I didn't realize it was Easter weekend until I think Friday night after work. I'm a big ol' heathen and so is my spouse, and with no kids to plan for holidays are only as important as we decide to make them. Easter's never been a biggie.

I unpacked the case of cat food that arrived on Friday, said bye to the spouse (he's out of town this weekend), and sat down to have a nice quiet weekend. It's the first time in like a month or so that I haven't wound up working over the weekend. It's glorious.

I'm mostly net-surfing and playing video games. Went to the grocery store and got a big head of cauliflower to roast for dinner tonight. Tomorrow will be lentil soup. I do enjoy cooking. I don't know if I'd still enjoy it this much if I had kids.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:48 am 

^^^ I'm so bad about Easter, I not only forgot about it Friday, but yesterday and today as well.

We went to the outlet mall yesterday, and there were some Easter-related things going on, and I thought, "Why is there a giant rabbit mascot handing out candy?" - oh, yeah...Easter.

The , this morning, I ran into town at about 7AM to grab some eggs for breakfast, and the store was packed, and I thought, "WTF...oh, yeah, Easter, crap!"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:50 am 

I've been spending the past couple of days cleaning up Edward (he's my 7ft metal 'Alien' sculpture) after the winter.

I've been teetering on top of an 8ft ladder with; acid to remove rust, power tools with wire brushes spinning at a squillion RPM for cleaning off the rust and flaky varnish, then a bucket of yacht varnish to reseal him, plus a bunch of toxic chemicals to clean off the algae that's accumulated on the plinth.

All on a sculpture that's made up of sharp, slicy, tetanus riddled metal that'll shred the unwary that stray within a foot of him. Talk about kid 'unfriendly' ! :twisted:

Now that's my kind of lawn ornament! :D
Attachment:
Edward.jpg
Edward.jpg [ 21.06 KiB | Viewed 314 times ]

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 16 Next