The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:46 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1416 Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:30 am 

Hi all,

I'm new to this site but used to use the old one before it went missing! So glad it's back up and running, thank you to whomever is responsible for that.

Today I had a lie in, got up and enjoyed a leisurely coffee and bagel. Had a nice shower then dressed, then put some curtains up in one of the bedrooms in my house. Just had lunch and I'm on here with you good people. I'll be relaxing today doing odd bits and bobs before I go onto a night shift tonight.

There's no way I would have been able to get half of the above done, nor enjoy it if I had kids running round.

The joy of being CF :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:02 am 

^Welcome back! :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:10 pm 

Friday night my friend and I got together for girls night, since her partner was out of town for a few days. After work, I hopped on the bus and headed over to her place. We drank wine and absolutely murdered a bag of all-dressed chips in record time. Chatted for a bit while drinking more wine, then walked down the street to a nice Thai restaurant for dinner. Back to her place, and then we watched tv and worked on some crafts while drinking more wine and stayed up late. I crashed at her place - no worries about getting my somewhat tipsy self back home.

The next morning we made some breakfast, then she gave me a lift back to near my place. Husband picked me up, and we went straight to a friend’s place to help him move (he’s one of those people who gave in to his wife and had a couple of kids he never really wanted...surprise, they’re now separating). The truck was already loaded, so we headed over to the new place and unloaded everything. We also got a workout in, since he moved into a third-floor walkup :lol:

Friend got everyone some KFC for lunch, and we helped him put together some of his new ikea furniture. On the way home, we went shopping and bought me a new winter coat (the one I had been wearing is 20 years old and covered in tears and stains).

Productive weekend, and I never had to give one thought to what do with the kids, cause I don’t have em!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:41 am 

We went out for a late Valentines dinner.

A local brewery does Beer For Dinner nights, four-course menus that are themed around something and all include beer as an ingredient. Diners get a welcome beer, about a half a beer with each course, a tasting glass keepsake, and a howler of their choice.

The four courses were

1. A hasselback potato with prosciutto in a bleu cheese-horseradish cream.

2. Mixed greens in a malt vinegar vinaigrette served on Black Forest ham and Emmenthaler shortbread.

3. Sauerbraten and spatzle.

4. Schneken.

Not a kid in the place.

Not only that, we sat next to two 20-something Instagram food bloggers, and they were a hoot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:42 am 

I'm off work this week so had a leisurely lie in, then got up and headed out to enjoy the gorgeous weather we're having lately.

Went to a community run 'greenbelt' workshop this afternoon. Our local so called 'authority' (or rather the developer themselves) is pushing excessive housing/industry on what is meant to be greenbelt land. Spent about an hour liaising/collating with the organisers there, then went home and submitted the findings/challenges online. So glad I can pour my energy into things I care about as opposed to it being spent on kids! Reading all the studies made me realise just how much of an impact having children has on the environment and infrastructure.

Not long had a late lunch and enjoying a cup of tea. Might continue work on my family tree this afternoon :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:48 am 
Site Admin

CO, that dinner sounds amazing. And I think you mean growler rather than howler? :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:27 am 

^^^ It was a lot of fun, and to answer your question ,they differentiate between a growler (big) and a howler (small), although I think it should be the other way around, or follow my suggestion and call the smaller one a "meowler." :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:15 pm 

Well, it was yesterday, and it was a full day:

Met a friend for breakfast at a fantastic little diner. Very nice to just sit and chat over omelettes and pancakes and coffee.

From there, we went to a coffee-and-beer place (they're all the rage around here) and had a post-breakfast couple of beers.

After that, we went to a Duluth Trading Company store. For those not familiar, they're kind of like LL Bean 100 years ago; at least that's how they portray themselves.

The big reason we went, though, is because they sell a lot of women's' shirts in longtail, which is really important to my plus-sized wife.

As typically happens, she found a shirt she loved, and it was $130, but I made her buy it, since she's so hard to fit. Then, I took a peek in the men's and found a big, heavy oversized cardigan that was $180...marked down to $70...and on the final clearance shelf for $25. Haha!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

I went snowboarding today. Along with most of the city, apparently. The lift lines were crazy and I have never seen that many cars parked out there. Guess you can't blame everyone for having the same idea - this is the first spring day after six weeks of miserable, absolutely freezing cold weather. It was SO nice to be able to sit out in the sun today and eat my lunch, and have the windows down in the car on the drive home.

But the kids. Pushing and shoving and throwing tantrums and fucking about in the lift lines, and standing obliviously in the way of everything as kids do ... was I ever glad I wasn't having to herd any of my own. Having to navigate other people's was hell on wheels today.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:35 pm 

Yesterday: went on a little mountain getaway overnight with the spouse. Nothing fancy, no skiing or anything, just a super deal on a hotel room with a fireplace and kitchenette. Had a nice dinner, soaked in the hot tub, played cards, watched the night clouds zooming over the trees.

Today: left the hotel, dropped spouse at a friend's on the way back. Spent the afternoon taking care of household stuff, coddling the elderly cat, and am now planning on a bubble bath and maybe some video games after that.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1416 Next