The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:46 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 1316 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:53 pm 

A friend of mine is moving into the general region, and today they were actually in town so we set up time to meet for tea and catching-up. My husband was also going to hang out with friends today, but he forgot that I already had plans. He'd thought he'd be able to take the car for his trip. No problem, he was able to shift his plans a little, I dropped him off on my way to tea, everything sorted. No need to try to rebook a sitter or anything.

On the way home I decided to take care of a couple simple errands (deposit a check, get cat litter). In the grocery store I could hear a child screaming bloody murder for several minutes (felt longer, always does!) and flinched a bit inside. Then I reminded myself that while I do have to put up with their kid's noise while I get a box of poop-sand for my cat, THOSE parents have to endure that behavior ANY time it happens, no matter what. Got my stuff, went to my peaceful house.

Grocery stores on weekends sometimes make me mutter thankful words to the Flying Spaghetti Monster about birth control.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:21 am 

Went to a Cincinnati Pops concert, "Pops In Space," where they played sci-fi themed favorites against a backdrop of NASA space photos and animations.

Meh. First, we had really bad seats and it was impossible to see much of the screen. For an organization that puts on one of the world's most technologically advanced yearly spectacles with "Luminosity" (worth a YT visit if you like that sort of thing), it shouldn't have been too much trouble to hang two more flat screen monitors, one on each side, and then everyone would have been able to see.

Second, this is my first up-close look at our "new" conductor (I say that because he's been here nine years), and I don't like him. At all.

First, he's full of nervous energy. When he's speaking, he's either rapidly tapping his foot, shaking the microphone, or playing pocket pool, or all three.

He has the manic energy of Robin Williams in "Death To Smoochy." When he's talking, he's bouncing all over his little podium, striking dramatic poses, dancing around, he's like a hyper kid.

Call me traditional, but I like a little more formality and reserved behavior when I'm at the orchestra.

Other than that, though, the music was fantastic, and the tickets were free, so there was that.

One last thing, the woman scanning tickets to get in was rude as shit. I dropped my wife off and went to park and that took about 10 minutes. While I was walking back to the hall, the wife scanned her ticket and went in to get her some drinks and meet me inside.

The tickets were e-tickets, on our phones, and my wife scanned the first ticket. When I showed up, I told the woman my wife was inside, I didn't know which ticket she scanned, so how did she want to handle it?

She scanned the first ticket, then mumbled that it had already been scanned and I couldn't come in.

"Yeah, she must have scanned that one, here's the second one."

"WAIT HERE!"

Then she just started scanning other people. I looked up and there's my wife, looking at me with drinks in her hand.

"Ma'am, that's my wife right there, she's already inside, so-"

"I SAID WAIT HERE! YOU CAN'T COME IN UNTIL YOUR WIFE GETS HERE!"

"But my wife is already here. She's right th-"

"I SAID WAIT HERE!!!"

By then my wife came over, puzzled, and asked what was going on. I was honest and said, "That idiot has a bug up her butt and won't let me in because she scanned the same ticket you had scanned."

So my wife turned to her and started to explain, and she just shouted again, "HE HAS TO WAIT HERE!"

At that point, I turned around and walked two feet to another ticket scanner, showed him my ticket, the unscanned one, and he scanned it right away and let me in.

As I walked through, he chuckled and said, "I wondered when you were going to figure out it was just easier to come over here!"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:48 pm 

Last night my bro and I went to yet another concert - I Mother Earth and Finger Eleven. He picked me up from work, we went to his place and had a couple drinks with his wife, ordered sushi and stuffed our faces, then I changed into my concert pants and we headed out. The venue was like 5 min from his place, so it was quick to get there and find our seats.

Great show! Both bands played a few acoustic songs together to start off with (including some fun covers), then Finger Eleven rocked the place down, there was a short break, I Mother Earth rocked the place down, and then both bands played a few more songs together.

It was so, so nice to go to a concert and not have to head to the next city over (I live in the suburbs) to have to do so. There was no rushing to get downtown, no trying to figure out which combination of bus/subway/train/taxi would actually get us there on time. We had time to relax and hang out before the show, which was so nice and pleasant.

We’re actually going to see Matt Good (solo acoustic show, which I’m super stoked about) at the same venue in a few months. I’m toying with the idea of surprising my bro with VIP tix for his bday...he’s followed Matt Good pretty much through his whole career.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:11 pm 

What a raging twat waffle. Seriously. And the other guy just waits for you to figure it out and doesn't try to help? That's effed up ok several levels.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:33 am 

Alright, I just upgraded the tickets to VIP! My brother is going to lose his mind! (in a good way, I hope).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:01 pm 

Today I came home from work tired with a puffy knee. I said "fuck dinner", ate some peanuts, and ran a nice hot bath. Much better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:45 pm 

Went to a kettle-ball class after work. To be fair, my kidded friend was there too - her kids were at dance class across town. We've been seeing a personal kettle-ball trainer since before Xmas. It's been awesome. I'm hoping to be able to wear my smaller-size pants this weekend (without cutting off my circulation!).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:26 pm 

I took a couple of vacation days and missed commuting in a horrible snowstorm aftermath that made the subway system a nightmare. No kids to drag to school in the snow, a peaceful day on my own, and tonight DH and I are off to see Bryan Adams in concert. Tomorrow is DH's regular day off and we're going to just hang out. Nothing like a mid-week break for no reason at all.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:31 am 

Not so much today, but yesterday. As I mentioned in a couple of other threads, I (unexpectedly) got yesterday off due to freezing rain in the area that made travel treacherous.

Making conversation with my boss today, I asked him how his day off was...and he told me about how there were a couple changes of plan (due to a later-than-usual announcement of the closure), the kids got upset that they weren't going to school, they weren't going to spend the day at grandma's house, and there were many tears.

In contrast, I sat on my butt and played video games, cleaned the kitchen, and made some veggie stock. I went horseback riding in the evening after the roads had cleared up. One cat spent time sitting on my lap, the other one ignored me completely all day. No children to wrangle, no screaming and crying and throwing fits...just me (and husband for part of the day), kitties, and quiet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:38 pm 

Herbaceous, that's how my snow days go, too. Well, minus the horseback riding...of which I am envious. I usually spend the day playing video games, drinking tea, and maybe making something delicious to eat. Sometimes I'll light a fire in the fireplace. The cat hangs around and is delighted to have company (read: someone to sit on) during the day.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 1316 Next