The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:42 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next
 Post subject: Re: Welcome to TCFL 2.0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:15 am 

I ended up finding this revived site by accident. Nice to see many familiar names.

Like GingerPye, my life has also seen a lot of twists and turns. My husband and I moved out of Santiago bought a house in the Maipo Valley (wine country) at the end of December 2018. We've been living out here full time since April. It was a bit of an adjustment, but it is nice to have our own place, clean air, more space and quiet. Our living situation where we were renting had seriously deteriorated and included a scary guy next door that ran an electric saw 9 hours a day, among other things.

Two new rescue dogs, Helmut and Brünhilde came to us in 2018. Our old dog Jade and 3 cats are still hanging in there strong. Jade's 11 and had to have surgery for a huge bladder stone last year, but we found a great vet in our new town and her pre-surgery blood work was great, so she made it through just fine.

I am not sure how much the situation here in Chile has been in the news, but we've been going through some serious civil unrest since October. I feel lucky we ended up moving out of the capital, since it is at least calmer out where we are and we have 24-hour security here. The only problem is that we sometimes get cut off due to protests blocking the highways, damaging train tracks, etc. Going into Santiago is quite depressing these days, I avoid it as much as possible. Many areas look like war zones, sadly.

Of course this has affected the economy. I was one of many people that ended up being laid off in November - I have become a statistic. Although, in my case my boss had been trying to get me to quit for a while to not pay severance. She is not an easy person to get along with and things had gotten pretty toxic in the department. Once she wants you gone, she will find the way. I wasn't the first, nor will be the last. So, in a way it is a relief to be out of there. At least I managed to stick it out and get my severance package. Between that and unemployment insurance, I am good for about 8 months while I work on what to do next. I am thinking more in terms of developing different income streams since the formal job market here is likely to be really bad for a long while. The economy is imploding, unfortunately.

So, that's the latest from here! I look forward to participating in the forum.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:38 am 
Site Admin

Good to see you back, sorry to hear that things in Chile aren't working out so well. Your new location sounds lovely though, and I can imagine it's nice to be away from possible trouble spots.

Fingers crossed for you that things settle down, and you can find something else for work.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:14 pm 

Welcome back! Another regular!

Good luck on the work situation, that sounds nutty. Keep us posted, please.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:31 pm 

It’s good to see you back, Zeca!

I’ve heard a little bit about the unrest in Chile, it’s been on the news here from time to time - stay safe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:09 pm 

Hola zeca! :D

Sorry about the unrest, I can't begin to imagine what that must be like for you, but it sounds like the redundancy could be an opportunity for you. Keep safe and keep us posted.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:45 pm 

Alicorn - Yeah, it is quite a lovely area. Yesterday we turned off on a country road looking for a nursery. Turns out it was different road than what we are thinking of, but we drove through some really beautiful scenery, vineyards and old colonial houses, etc.

The job situation was nutty to say the least, CarryOn. It was one of those dysfunctional places where everything was based on favoritism and butt kissing and not competence. Our department head was allowed to direct her own fiefdom and no one from upper management challenged her or questioned the high turnover. I am glad that at least I stuck it out for the severance pay. And, being able to show a second income with a real work contract was a huge help as far as buying our house, so I can thank that job for that at least.

La Tormenta – yes, it is starting to look like there are some decent opportunities out there, better than that awful place where I was working. I had a phone interview for a freelance writing position with a US company. It’s about 20 hours a week, possibly more later on if I want it. I did the math and it works out to more gross than I was making at the place that fired me – working 40 hours a week. They are sending me materials to do a paid trial assignment for them and we’ll take it from there. Then, today I met a neighbor who asked where I was from. When I said the US, she said that her son and husband both need English classes and maybe we can work something out. Cross your fingers for me!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:55 pm 

Got everything crossed for you zeca! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, I know you! Good to see more regulars finding their way back.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:54 am 

Thanks! I know you too, Lady Phoenix.

Well, I have been offered a second writing assignment, so I may end up with stable employment from this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:50 pm 

Zeca, sounds ,ike you’ve been through a lot but hopefully things are looking up now.

I’m getting that this site is “not secure” on my iPad but it doesn’t say so on the desktop. Anyone know what that’s about please?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next