The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:40 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous 144 45 46 47 48 Next
 Post subject: Re: Daily Rant Part 1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:28 pm 

^^^^Maybe they were one of those hun bots (MLM people) cold calling random numbers to try to get you to buy their crap.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:29 am 

^^

My husband says sometimes phone scammers do that. If they get my name, later they call with some fake story about being a family member in trouble to try to get money out of me, that sort of thing. There are variations on that scam always making the rounds here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:53 am 

So the people who've moved in next door have been there almost two weeks, and I actually haven't seen any sign of a kid yet. Which is actually a bit odd -- the weather has been quite nice some days, so I would have thought they'd have taken it outside at some point. My office where I spend a good part of each day looks right onto their tiny courtyard garden, so I should have seen something by now.

They do seem to be smokers, and of course the rented house is non-smoking, so that's the only time I have seen them out there, puffing away.

This is more of a "random thought": the last tenant was a smoker too. I started to wonder if people who smoke are more likely to be renters, since they spend so much on cigarettes that they can't save up a deposit?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:13 am 

@JR

It wouldn't surprise me, I looked up the price of a packet of smokes, £10!

Mr LaT is an ex-smoker and he got through about 15 a day, so what does that work our at ...about £52 a week, over £200 a month or £2400 a year!

£52 a week is more than I spend on groceries for the two of us.

(I'm not really in a position to criticise, I probably glug my way though £20 worth of wine a week and let's not even talk about my 'car' habit. But then I'm not trying to save for a deposit for a house).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:58 am 

A pack of smokes can be $12 in NY. A carton can be close to $100. Little wonder they keep tobacco products (all of which are heavily taxed and expensive) under lock and key. Buying anything tobacco is like getting into a safe deposit box, and could be a financial burden, depending on your habit.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:01 am 

Next door have built a new property, I discovered yesterday that instead of taking away all the spoil from the building site they've piled it up and made a 'raised garden', which is 3 foot above the level the house sits on.

This means anyone on the garden is head and shoulders above the level of the boundary fence and can look directly into my kitchen, living room and garden. Not only that, they haven't put any kind of restraining structure by my fence, just 'banked up' the soil.

I've already had hell and all with these people over the planning application and now I'm going to have to report a breach of the planning consents (I'm pretty sure this 'raised garden' didn't form part of the approved planning application).

Of course the planning department will do fuck all and this will just create more aggro between me and the developers.....

Oh well, I guess this has just stiffened my resolve to move out and find somewhere surrounded by fields and a decent amount of land around it, so I don't have to deal with inconsiderate neighbours.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:27 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
A pack of smokes can be $12 in NY. A carton can be close to $100. Little wonder they keep tobacco products (all of which are heavily taxed and expensive) under lock and key.
My bro and his wife quit smoking a few years ago, and put the money that they were spending on cigs into a separate bank account. They saved $1500 in 4 months.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:42 pm 

I bought some gob cream off Amazon just recently and I liked it so I bought some more of the same range as it was on promotion.

I got an email today from the asking if it arrived on time, I replied that it did and ta for asking.

Just a couple of minutes ago I then got this:

"Hi there,

I am glad you received it on time! Nothing is worse than waiting days for a product to arrive xx

I know it's early days but it'd mean a lot to me if you could post a quick customer testimonial of your delivery/product. It only takes a few seconds.

Here's the link to leave your testimonial: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ryp

As a small family business, my husband and I (& two-year-old princess :) ) lookout for every single testimonial. Every new customer testimonial is cause for celebration and helps us grow!

A hug,

Nicole xoxo"

What the flying fuck was that about and why do these breeders think that chucking in the fact they've spawned a spoiled brat is somehow going to influence the review I give of the product.

I responded telling her she was barking up the wrong tree if she thought that mentioning her 'princess' was going to endear her to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:08 am 

^^^ :lol:

TBH, I get annoyed at those "personal" emails regardless. For one, they come immediately after I've ordered the product, many times before I've even gotten it. How can I review something if I don't have it?!

Second, I just don't like the chatty tone. You sell widgets, I bought one of your widgets, if I like it, maybe I'll review it, if I don't like it, maybe I'll review it. Badgering me into reviewing something is a sure way to get me to leave the review that you don't wanna see. :?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:18 pm 

My personal favorite is when the website survey box pops up the second the webpage comes up...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous 144 45 46 47 48 Next