The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:42 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 465 posts ]  Go to page Previous 140 41 42 43 4447 Next
 Post subject: Re: Daily Rant Part 1
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:02 pm 

Know what I hate about cellphones? How once you have one, you’re expected to be available all the time no matter what.

Today I was at work interviewing a kid for a part-time position. We were in an empty office with the door slightly ajar. All of a sudden, I hear sirens...the alert system’s been activated because someone lost track of their birth control failures again (ever heard 20 cellphones all start blaring siren noises at once? It’s jarring, to say the least).

So I tell the kid to sit tight, and run over to my desk to turn the alarms on my phones off (I’d left my cellphones [I carry two, one for work and one for personal use] on my desk.) I see 7 missed calls from husband on my personal phone and 2 on my work phone, and then my work phone starts ringing again. I answer it to husband saying “So you just don’t answer your phone anymore?”...dude, I’m in a meeting and didn’t have my phone on me. I’m worried about all these calls, thinking there’s some sort of emergency...nope. He wanted to give me a ride home from work because there was a thunderstorm. This is...not a massive emergency.

I hate that because I have a cellphone, I’m expected to be ready to answer it at any point in time no matter once. Sometimes I can’t answer my cellphone. Sometimes I’m in a meeting, or I don’t have my phone on me, or it’s out of batteries, and I’m in the bathroom. Me not answering my phone when you call is not a dire situation! Husband needs to learn to chill.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:59 am 

I hear you on the stupid situation that because you have a phone you're always available. I was the thing I hated most about work....I routinely worked late, started early etc, but it pissed me off no end that I was expected to take calls, respond to emails etc in my own time (weekends, evenings and holidays)....I even got a call once on Xmas day from the CEO!!!

Why people get their arse in a sling because you don't respond to their call or text within a nanosecond is beyond belief, it just shows their neediness and/or total lack of understanding. I was in the kind of job where I could be in day long meetings, or dealing with very sensitive situations like telling people they're being made redundant or them telling me they had cancer, my friends and colleagues knew that so why they'd get so arsey was a mystery to me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:53 pm 

People who get arsed when you tell them "I was driving" really get me furious. Every. Single. Day. I see people who are phone-fiddling instead of driving their cars, and the odds are these people will cause car wrecks. If someone tells me they didn't answer because they were driving a car, good for him/her! That person is operating a motor vehicle responsibly. When someone is like, "Well, don't you have Bluetooth?". No, motherfucker, I do not have my damn manual transmission car set up so it can function as a damn phone booth. Driving takes 100% of my attention. I am not answering the phone whilst driving.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:10 pm 

Oh amen on the phone-free driving. The only thing my phone does while I'm behind the wheel is possibly the occasional Google Maps, and even then I set it before I even start, turn up the volume, and leave it alone. I've had people ask the same thing about Bluetooth. No, asshole, I'm driving. Not phoning. No, it's not the same as conversing with someone else in the car. There's even research to back that up. Besides, there's something to be said for NOT being available.

People are pearl-clutch level of SHOCKED to learn that I don't take my phone with me when I go backpacking or hiking. One reason I go to the backcountry is to get AWAY from being plugged in.

In short, I have the phone for MY convenience, not others'. I don't assume that others are always available, and I'd appreciate it if they'd extend me the same courtesy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:33 am 

Another cell phone thing I loathe - phone use in the bathroom. For the love of all that's holy, do not place a phone call whilst you're on the toilet. One would think that would be common sense, but I have gone into the bathrooms at work to see one closed stall, and someone either talking to herself, or having a phone con whilst on the pot. Good crikey, no.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:14 am 

As if email and cellphones weren't enough, we were told to start using Teams a while ago. Initially it was quite useful to me as I could post a message to the entire group that So-and-So was gone for the day (they used to come ask me), or that I needed them all to do something. Then that use got prohibited... Now it's used as a collaborative space for projects (which is OK), and for non-project stuff... I've been a bit of a luddite by refusing to use it out of office hours, for which I was criticised initially, but then my boss K got sick of the barrage of messages on a Sunday... My standing rule is, if it's an emergency call me or text me, but don't expect me to pick up... especially as DH and I hike in areas where there's no phone signal!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:56 pm 

Quote:
Another cell phone thing I loathe - phone use in the bathroom. For the love of all that's holy, do not place a phone call whilst you're on the toilet. One would think that would be common sense, but I have gone into the bathrooms at work to see one closed stall, and someone either talking to herself, or having a phone con whilst on the pot. Good crikey, no.
There is no common sense though.

I have to speak to people all the time for work, on the phone - and every so often we can hear things....people in the bathroom. Ugh! It's the most disgusting thing... like, come on. I don't know you. I don't want to hear you taking a dump! Some mystery would be nice! :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:12 am 

We have a conference call every morning to get the report overnight and any other needed info to get through the day. Typically people call in and are muted already. This morning someone was having a conversation with their grandkid that must've been taking to school because it was mentioned in conversation, and it was super obnoxious. It went on for a good few minutes. I had to walked away from my phone on speaker. Someone pointed out they weren't muted and they were embarrassed muting immediately. I can't stand that singsongy way adults talk to kids sometimes. It's hard to convey it print what I'm talking about. I can understand talking to babies like that. Once they are elementary school age, it's okay to talk to them in a more normal way.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:39 pm 

Something that’s really been getting on my nerves lately - loud bars.

Last night, husband and I went out for dinner and to see the Joker movie. Husband said he knew a great restaurant near his work, so we went there to eat.

The food was really good - but I’m not sure if this place wanted to be a restaurant, a nightclub, or (judging by the number of kids present) a daycare. There was a DJ, music going thump-thump-thump so loud you had to shout to have a conversation. Husband and I both spent the entire meal saying “pardon?” And the assholes in next to us had about 6 kids they weren’t bothering to keep track of...thank FSM they were their own little glassed-off area, or I would have lost it. As it was, they left before us, and as they did, I said as each adult walked past the table: “You’re a shitty parent!” But it didn’t matter, they couldn’t hear me over the music.

I told husband I don’t want to eat there again (and he agreed) - if I can’t have a conversation with my dining companion in a normal tone of voice, then the venue is too damn loud.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:12 am 

This is a huge problem for me also... and apparently, it's a thing... https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... ud/576715/

I've commented on noise issues in restaurants and other places to the designers at work - lots of hard surfaces make the sound bounce around. When you tie a noisy space with loud people (at your table or elsewhere), it's impossible. I've been out to dinner with loud people and given up on talking, only to be criticised for being antisocial...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 465 posts ]  Go to page Previous 140 41 42 43 4447 Next