The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:00 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Daily Rant Part 1
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:53 am 

Way back in mid-March, we met with a landscaper, just to do some very basic work around the house. We have no landscaping at the moment.

"Oh, I'll get a plan drawn up for you in a couple weeks, and we're having an open house in a month, and you can buy the stuff then." Sounded good.

A month went by, never heard anything, so we went to the open house, tracked him down, and he said, "Oh, um yeah, I have your plan right here!"

I wasn't much of a plan, just rough-sketched out on paper, where the way he made it sound earlier, we expected something a little slicker than that.

He walked us around and showed us the plants he'd picked out, so we said, "Ok, give us a quote for the work, and we'll go from there."

"Great! I'll call you next week, and we're having a big sale Mother's Day weekend, you can buy your stuff then!" Uh-huh.

That was nearly six weeks ago. I'm stubborn, so I haven't called them back, because this is the second time he's dropped the ball, and I want to see how long it's going to take him. Technically, if we don't go with him, we owe him some money for the plan, but at this point, I don't think I can trust him to even show up to do any work.

Post subject: Re: Daily Rant Part 1
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:46 pm 

A rant that's been building for months:

Back in March, a friend of mine told me there was a good job open in her department. My skills matched up perfectly and the pay is almost double mine, so obviously I applied, and my friend gave me a good recommendation.

Two months pass, I didn't hear anything. I assumed the job had been filled. But to make sure, I checked with my friend. She said the job hadn't been filled, and she'd remind her manager about it. That very day, I got a call to set up a phone interview for the next day.

I did the phone interview and it went very well. The best interview I've ever given, in fact. The manager said she was impressed and that her own boss would be calling me soon for a followup interview.

A week passes. I email the manager to ask if the second interview is coming soon. No response. Another week passes. I email again. No response. I email my friend, who tells me --- the position has been filled. By the son of a woman who works in the department.

Two days later, I get an automatically generated response telling me I didn't get the job.

The lack of professionalism throughout the entire process was stunning.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:34 pm 

^^^ Oh, that stinks and I've had something similar to that happen, with my last employer.

I hated that job, and two people I worked with got a job at a government contracted shop, and they called me to tell me there was another slot opened if I wanted it. I said yes, interviewed twice and was offered the job, and I just had to wait for the official offer letter in the mail.

The next day, I was let go at my job, and I was almost giddy when they told me, because they gave me a severance package, and all I could think of was, "Haha, you jerks, I've already got another job lined up!"

Checked the mail for the offer letter when I got home...checked the next day...and the next and the next and the next. No letter.

I called my friends and asked them, they said they check for me, then I didn't hear anything from them, so I called the guy who interviewed me, and he told me they lost the funding for the third slot.

It would have been nice if they'd sent me something saying that. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:59 pm 

Sorry about that,Den. What did your friend think of that crappy move?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:09 am 

She was furious.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:45 pm 

I'd been battling the grey squirrels at my bird feeders, but I largely thwarted them by purchasing some rather expensive squirrel-proof feeders. Well, they've worked at keeping the squirrels out, but the grackles are another story. They will *clean out* the feeders, as they, unlike the squirrels, don't weigh enough to close the seed ports. Now I've had to spend another chunk of money on feeders that are inside cages so the little birds can eat in peace, and I had to buy another feeder to put safflower in, as the cardinals and grosbeaks cannot get inside the cage feeders. The large squirrel-proof feeders are now largely for my woodpeckers, who can defend against the grackle onslaught, and the damn grackles, of course.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:26 pm 

The damn neighbours called bylaw on us again. Last year, we had some work done on the front that resulted in a pile of fill being left behind. We had a lot of trouble finding anyone to come and dispose of it (months-long waiting lists), so it sat there for a while and the neighbours called bylaw on us. OK fine, it’s an eyesore, I get it. We took a weekend, busted our asses, and spread the dirt out over the lawn. We waited until this spring to seed it, and yeah, the grass looks like shit, but it takes a while to get going.

Today we get a notice that we’ve been cited for “tall grass and nuisance weeds”. Wtf!?!? The grass that is there sometimes gets a little long between trims, I admit - but nowhere near 20 cm, which is the “tall grass” threshold. I checked the city’s list of nuisance weeds, and none of them are out there. Husband just cut the grass on Monday, for fuck’s sake.

I fully admit that our yard is not pristine. It’s a work in progress, yes there are some weeds, and we’re just starting to grow grass in the bare patches. But calling bylaw because the grass is a little long? Hell, they could have come on over and asked us nicely to trim it. The other neighbours asked us to do something about our ugly garage before their big garden party a few years ago, and while husband grumbled a bit, we put up some sweet-ass siding and got that garage looking spiffy. We even got invited to the party.

Am I being unreasonable here? Maybe I just suck at adulting and should give the fuck up? I was having a good day, and now this has really gotten me in a sour mood. Grumble.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:27 pm 

^^^
This shit is why we refused to buy into anything with an HOA involved.

But we have nice neighbors anyway. Late last summer, my husband got pneumonia. He thought it was just a "bad cold" and refused to see a doctor about it. He just laid there in bed whining about his man flu for weeks. We have season tickets to the local minor league team, and he was royally pissed when I went without him and did not sit there and listen to his whine-fest. I finally got him to go to the CVS Minute Clinic to get looked at (I suspected it was pneumonia) by telling him that if he didn't, I would call 911 and have his whiney ass taken to the ER. That got his ass up and to the Minute Clinic, being that he chose a shitty Medicare Advantage plan (he retired in 2017), and it was costing him a fortune already, and he knew damned well he'd be stuck with a high ambulance/ER bill. He returned with the words I love to hear - YOU WERE RIGHT. He was given antibiotics and he did get better.

But in the meantime, the grass was getting pretty tall. I am really not physically able to mow. We have no HOA do deal with, but it still looked awful, and I was considering looking for someone to hire to do the job. Then, one day, the next-door neighbor guy was mowing his own lawn, and then took it upon himself to start mowing ours. When I saw this, I went out to talk to him and told him he didn't have to do this, and I offered to pay him. He wouldn't take it. He said that he and his wife had noticed that Mike had not been out puttering in the yard, they knew that I could not mow, so he was doing it for us.

That was really nice, and I did buy a gift card to a local supermarket (the one I know they shop at) and slipped it into their mail slot. This guy had also helped me with snow removal a few years earlier after my husband had a mild stroke, and he got a gift card from me then, as well.

But it's not an HOA thing, this is just a neighbor who cares and wants to help.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:12 am 

Quote:

Am I being unreasonable here? Maybe I just suck at adulting and should give the fuck up? I was having a good day, and now this has really gotten me in a sour mood. Grumble.
No you're not being unreasonable, I think when it comes to 'adulting' your neighbours could do with a a shot of it, really what kind of spineless twat would just invoke the by-laws without just coming over and having a chat.....or even, like in Christine's case, offering to help. Which would have helped solved the problem a damned sight quicker. Gah, people! Come the Revolution.....! :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:22 am 

We have unenforceable bylaws. I've been approached twice about "violations."

My riding mower broke, and we have two acres to mow, and I was doing all the research to buy a new one, planning on spending a couple thousand, so I was taking my damn time, and my grass got out of hand.

First, my across-the-street neighbor approached me and asked what was up and I explained it and he wished me luck. A week later, a group of them called me out and told me I really needed to mow my grass, or else, "We'll mow it for you!" That's not much of a threat, really. :lol:

The second time, I had the audacity to paint my grey shed a traditional barn red with green roof (and put up PA Dutch hex signs to boot). You'd have thought I'd killed baby Jesus on Christmas Eve. Apparently, sheds have to be the same color as the house.

That's when I pointed out to the whiny father-of-five that his Walmart inflatable pool was what I would consider an above-ground pool (also prohibited) and that I'd repaint my shed as soon as his pool came down.

Shed's still red and green. :)