The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:48 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:58 pm 

Yesterday, my brother and I headed to a daylong festival/community event in a city a bit north of us. Matt Good was playing in the evening, and he was amazing when we saw him a few months ago, so we figured hey, admission’s free - let’s go!

We met up with a couple of bro’s friends (and their spouses and kids), and had a generally pleasant day - the kids were actually surprisingly well behaved and their parents were pretty chill, so we mostly stood around and drank beer while the kids ran around and played in the kids’ area. There were a bunch of local breweries there, so we sampled some local beers and ciders, and just hung around and chatted until dinner time, when we got some tacos from a food truck, and bro’s friends took their kids and headed home.

Bro and I walked up to the main stage, and were able to march right on up to the front and plop ourselves down on the grass right in front of the stage. It was a few min until Matt Good came on, and snagging the prime real estate was definitely a good idea. He came on and HOLY. SHIT. We were right in front of the stage (I literally had my hands on the stage), and he was amazing. I thought he was really good the first time we saw him, and this blew that right out of the water. We had such a good time, cheering, jumping - such an awesome performance! One of the best concerts I’ve been to.

After the band, there were some seriously impressive fireworks, and then husband came and picked us up (it wasn’t really his kinda concert, so he DD’d for us cause he’s awesome like that).

Totally awesome day, and I definitely could not have done it if I had kids.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

It's my birthday on Tuesday. Last night I went out for sushi with some friends and then we all went to meet even more friends for drinks. This morning I went to a makeup class at Sephora and since it was like 5 minutes from my sister's house she came out and had lunch with me and then bought me some makeup as a birthday gift.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:59 am 

It was Mr LaT's birthday on Saturday, we spent the day drinking champers, indulging in adult fun and playing Space Hulk....all of which was kind of planned but the timing was as and when suited us. Again not the sort of thing you can do with a bunch of ankle biters whining at the door demanding to be fed, watered, entertained or trying to extract cash by constant nagging.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:14 am 

Happy bday to the bday folks.

We flew to Ireland, and had good luck with the flights as well. No screaming kids and everything was on time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:14 pm 

Last night we went and saw Solo. 9 pm showing, so no kids, thankfully. We both really enjoyed the movie and got home just before midnight. Can’t spontaneously decide to do that like we did when you’ve got kids!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:59 pm 

Boring work day today, finished up super late. But this weekend there is a wine festival in our locality, you bet we’ll be there! No pesky kids!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:43 pm 

Today we slept in hard (our bodies are still used to west coast time), then started laundry. At one point I decided to go to the store since we didnt really have any fresh food, and when I got back, I got some kind of bug up my butt and cleaned the fridge :lol: Now Im browsing the web and playing WoW :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:19 pm 

Today’s the first day of a forecast heat wave. I left work early (the rest of my dept had gone to a golf tournament so I said screw it and took off), rode my bike home in the blazing heat, and arrived home sweaty and tired.

So I sat on the couch pantless and ate candy cane ice cream. Living my best life!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:37 am 

Tonight, we're going to the opera, "The Flying Dutchman." It'll be our first German-language opera, so I'm really looking forward to that (nothing sounds quite as bombastic as German), and it's a ghost story to boot. :shock:

We're going to go down early, grab fried chicken take-away from a little place about three blocks from the venue, then eat our food in the lovely park just outside the hall. Then we'll wander into their "Insights" program, where they explain the opera and key things to look for to us dunderheads, and then a quick drink in the opera bar, then the opera itself.

Another advantage to going early - we can grab some of the very limited free street parking just a couple of blocks away, instead of paying $15 for next-door garage parking. No only do we save money, but we can avoid the traffic jam getting out of the garage.

A kid would be bored stiff about a third of the way through that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:45 pm 

Slept in a bit, ate a late leftovers breakfast, got a massage from the boyfriend :mrgreen: , went out and had a delicious Japanese fusion lunch, then went and explored a relatively big country park. Now we'll probably play a bit of Minecraft before hitting the sack. Ugh, it's Monday tomorrow. But at least I had a lovely, quiet weekend.