The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:28 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:19 am 

Kids make me nuts, and of course I've been hit by the bingo "you were a kid once too!!" Yeah, and I was annoying as shit. One thing I remember in particular was that when playing Stratego with babysitters (what can I say, I was a geeky kid), I insisted that you had to say "I striketh thee" when striking another piece. I mean, INSISTED. I want to travel back in time and throttle myself for that. :lol:

In what ways were you an annoying twit?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:37 am 

Blimey, let me count the ways!!!

As a toddler I was always broken; broken wrist, broken ankle, rope burns, enormous slices out of myself requiring stitching up, lumps scraped off, nowadays social services would have been called in. But I was just one of those that was always climbing up things, falling off things, hanging off stuff, messing about to see 'what if' (I still do this now and it's a real effort of willpower not to...), just really curious but with no filters or fear.
I wasn't a crier though even when my mum sent me off to the shops with a broken ankle (unbeknown to her, although she didn't believe me when I said something was very, very wrong, it was only when my leg puffed up like a dirigible did she capitulate).

I was always going missing, several times the neighbourhood was out looking for me.

Then I'd be in my siblings stuff doing untold damage to their toys, records and belongings ( I remember playing frisbee with my elder siblings collection of 45s and dripping red wax on a black skirt belonging to one of my sisters, because I wanted to get dressed up as a witch......I did make my own hat though
:D ).

I took a magnet to all the electrical devices in the house 'to see what would happen', duly buggering up the colours on the colour TV and fucked up an electric alarm clock. Oh well, at least I had an inquiring mind with a scientific bent, not dopey stuff like feeding jam sandwiches into the video recorder (I would never waste a jam butty)!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:35 am 

All in all, I wasn't very annoying at all, because I was always content to just sit and read or watch TV.

I didn't care about going anywhere, I wasn't climbing over things or getting lost, I definitely didn't cry for things in the shops. From as long as I can remember, I always just wanted to be left alone.

That probably led to being annoying in a way, because I was the youngest of six, I was always the target of sibling bullying, and it wasn't in my nature to fight back, really. It does seem like my folks were constantly having to get on my older siblings for fucking with me, and my parents probably wished I'd have taken care of that myself.

I also grew up on a small but busy family farm (including a sawmill) and I hated noise and physical work - still do to this day. Between cutting firewood, working a sawmill, plowing with the tractor, air compressors, paint guns (for painting, not for fun), field sprayers, etc, it was a noisy place with lots of physical work to do. I know I whined about that and dragged my feet a lot, because I absolutely hated it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:57 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
As a toddler I was always broken; broken wrist, broken ankle, rope burns, enormous slices out of myself requiring stitching up, lumps scraped off, nowadays social services would have been called in. But I was just one of those that was always climbing up things, falling off things, hanging off stuff, messing about to see 'what if' (I still do this now and it's a real effort of willpower not to...)

I was always going missing, several times the neighbourhood was out looking for me.
OMG, we were twins! My mother must have wondered what she'd done to deserve me. I was a total tomboy, always hanging with the boys, climbing, swinging, getting muddy, riding bikes and rollerskates off things and crashing. I didn't really do that much damage until I was a tween/teen, when I sliced the bottom off my foot falling off a skateboard, broke both arms in the same summer two weeks apart, and fell from a tree and landed on my back on the dog kennel - I was very lucky not to break my back, and the bruising was incredible. Mum spent much more time at the hospital than she was happy about.

And as a toddler/youngun, I was ALWAYS running away. My mother used to put me in a playpen, and I used to pick the playpen up by the bars and carry it down the driveway and into the street. I had to be leashed in public because mum would literally turn her back for two seconds, and I'd be gone. Thankfully that stopped once I was old enough to understand "Don't move, or I'll beat you".

I wasn't the world's worst teenager - I remember plenty of mood swings and arguments, but I was so into sports that I didn't really have time to get into that much trouble - always at practice or games. And the day I moved out of home at 18, my parents and I basically became instant BFF's. I was married at 20 and off their hands.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:22 pm 

When people tell my mom she was so lucky to have had a girl, as opposed to a rambunctious boy, she replies, "You've not met my daughter." My cousin lived with us quite a bit when both he and I were young. His father travelled for work, and his mother was in and out of rehab more than Amy Winehouse. She was in no position to be caring for a child. Of the two of us, I was the one who came up with crazy stuff to do. My cousin went along for the ride. I was the one who got us dirty, sometimes with ruined clothes and injuries. My mom still wonders how neither of us broke any bones.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

^^^ Reminds me of the day I tripped in to the house on my skates, maybe 14 years old, sunburned, dirty and sweaty, and my mother was having coffee with a friend. She took one look at me, sighed, turned to her friend and said "So, have you met my oldest son?" I remember being slightly offended at the time, but comment on point for sure!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:26 am 

^^^ To this day, if I'm seen doing something that's not "manly," (like my penchant for going to plays or having afternoon tea), one of my brothers will refer to me as their "other sister!" :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:51 pm 

My cousin and I once came home from a mud fight in the creek that runs through the wooded area of my parents' property. We were covered from head to toe. If you didn't know who we were, you wouldn't have recognized us. We looked like Swamp Thing. My mom had a friend over - I remember seeing the two of them through the window - and they were sitting at the kitchen table. I saw my mom look out at us, say something to her friend, and then come to the door. She walked over to the spigot, got the garden hose, and started hosing us down. My mom treated it as just another day, but her friend was looking out the window at us like :shock:

That's only one of the times I've been covered head-to-toe in dirt too. My mom had several mountains of black dirt delivered for the riding ring and garden over the years. When I was a kid, I got into the dirt each time. I looked like I'd been working in a coal mine, and got hosed outside each time as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:04 pm 

My parents always got compliments on how well behaved we were.

I was probably mostly annoying to my parents when I was fighting with one of my many siblings.

I was too quiet, well behaved and reserved in public to be annoying. I was also a goody two shoes Even to this day I'm pretty reserved.

That all probably comes off as conceited. But I think my parents just did a pretty good job raising us. It probably also helped having a quiet personality!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:04 pm 

Add me to the "toddler vying for the Darwin Award" list. I'm convinced now that it's just a feature of that age...a developmental thing due to discovering motor skills and the larger world, but having ZERO concept of consequences, impulse control, or critical thought. I'm also convinced we reprise this as teenagers, only on a larger scale (think cars, sex, etc).

From what I've been able to glean, my sister was mellow and fairly easy as far as babies go, my brother was a bit more active and mischievous, and I was a goddamn pistol at times. I was willful, stubborn, and generally hell on wheels. If I'd come first, my parents might have stopped at one child, who knows. At least they'd had experience with my siblings and had SOMEthing to go on...?

I'm sure my first grade year was really grating for my parents. My parents opted to skip kindergarten after having me tested. I could already read, rhyme, do some simple math, had decent fine motor...but I was also five. Sister N. wasn't too terribly patient and probably should have taught an older grade (even my mom remarked on that like a decade later), but I was also a year young and likely socially and emotionally a bit immature. My mom was a teacher and my parents always emphasized being respectful, working hard, etc so they did do a good job with how I acted toward authority figures. I did not talk back, defy anyone, or fight with other kids. I was just spacey, impulsive, slow at some things, and oversensitive.