The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:40 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 969 posts ]  Go to page Previous 191 92 93 94 9597 Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:42 pm 

Is that you in the mirror, CO??

The pie caused some confusion (they weren't expecting savory, and thought it was cold weather food), but those who had some liked it. A couple of folks took some to go. I came home with about a quarter. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:50 am 

^^^ Yep, that's me.

It's 56F this morning. I'm itching for fondue and heavy sweaters and snow sticking to my shoes. C'mon, Winter!

I'm not surprised your pie caught some people off-guard. The art of the savory pie is almost lost in the US, save for $1 frozen pot pies from the grocer's. I make meat pies a few times a year, and am about due to make another one.

Similarly, we have a German restaurant that does a monthly sausage buffet, and at one point, added a big bowl of still-in-the-shell boiled eggs.

Everyone was pleased at the new addition, until they cracked them open, took a big bite, and discovered they were soft cooked, not hard cooked. Americans don't eat a lot of soft cooked eggs, at least not like our Euro and Brit cousins. Egg yolk squirting everywhere, and next month, they were hard cooked and there was a sign saying so. Some people even thought it was a poorly done practical joke!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:09 am 

Quote:
Were these COLD soft-boiled eggs? Because that would have thrown anyone.
No, they were still quite warm. Personally I found it kind of funny, because as soon as I peeled one, I could tell it was soft-boiled, because it was springy. Sometimes, people just don't pay attention. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:18 am 
Site Admin

I lost this summer, between training and house renos and work stuff. Now that the house is on the market and my comp is over, I'd like at least one more month of good weather to out some miles on the motorcycle.

Fall is my favourite time of year. The only problem is that where I live it might last for eight weeks, or it might last for three.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:42 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
It's 56F this morning.
Here it was almost 80F by 8 AM. Going to be a hot one today.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

Back to the gym today. Coach told me to do crossfit for this week to give the body a break, and while he plans my next lifting program. So today I did my first crossfit class in 18 months. I have forgotten how to kip pull ups and do double unders, my wallballs were terrible, and the rowing almost killed me.

I am going to be paying for this for the next few days, I'm sure of it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:00 pm 

Quote:
.... kip pull ups and do double unders, my wallballs were terrible.....
You're just making shit up now aren't you! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:53 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
.... kip pull ups and do double unders, my wallballs were terrible.....
You're just making shit up now aren't you! :D
Oh well now, kipping the odd pull ups, that's fine and all, but triple over sideways, now that's where you've got to be careful, you just listen to me! Wallballs are ok for what they are, mind, but nothing like a good, old-fashioned taint-dribble...

;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:49 am 

My female dachshund had surgery yesterday. She also went down with IVDD. Friday night she was walking stiffly, reluctant to go up with 2 steps to the landing from outside. I carried her up. Her back was hunched. I knew what was starting, so I took her to the ER vet the next morning. They sent her home with meds and strict crate rest. I was hoping that's all we needed to do, but she got worse on Sunday and was loosing her ability to walk. I took her back to the ER vet/neurology hospital that evening, and they admitted her. She had an MRI and then surgery afterwards to remove the disc material. Now she's recovering at the hospital. I really hit the genetic lottery with these 2 dachshunds. My bank account to a bit of a hit. It's a good thing I don't have kids.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:51 am 
Site Admin

Awww, poor baby. I hope she feels better soon!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 969 posts ]  Go to page Previous 191 92 93 94 9597 Next