The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:24 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 902 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 791 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

At my previous job I got two weeks. At my current job I'm a contractor so I get fuck all in the way benefits other than a paycheck. Thankfully said paycheck is much bigger than the one from my previous job so that takes some of the sting out of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:33 pm 

I used to get five weeks until a few years ago, when my company got bought out, and the new corporate overlords had a four-week cap on vacation time. But I make sure to use every last day of that time. I need it. In fact, I'm taking two weeks off starting next week -- first time I've had two consecutive weeks off for at least seven years.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:19 pm 

I only get four weeks at my company, which is a lot for a US company so I am not complaining. I travel around a bit for my job, so I get to see lots of places in my travels. Most of my travel is around NY, PA, OH, and other rust belt states, but sometimes I do get to go to Colorado or DC. I go to DC quite a bit, so I've actually gotten to the point where nothing is new in DC. That's pretty hard to do given the size of the Smithsonian alone, but when a particular Residence Inn knows you like you work there, well you can see how I've seen everything in DC.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:49 am 

When my stomach gurgles it makes the same noise as the Cyclops in 'Riddick'....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:36 am 

For vacation, we get:

Two weeks your first five years
Three weeks at five-10 years
Four weeks at 10-20 years
Five weeks at 20-retirement

When I started working here, though, I bargained for three weeks, and then I got an officership after two years, and that got me another week, so I've been stuck at four weeks for a while. I plan to be retired before I hit the five-week bump. :mrgreen:

We can't roll over vacation from one year to the next, and we can't sell it back.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:13 pm 

I earn so many hours of PTO each pay period that can be used for sick, vacation, or personal days. I can only carry over so much when my anniversary date comes up. It always sucks because mine is in May and I usually take vacation time in June usually. I don't get to take as much because I've lost it. Yes, I get it paid out, but I lose it every year. I just want to keep it enough to take 2 plus weeks off. I hate the policy. I keep hoping they change it. I'm getting so burnt out at work. A week didn't even do it for me. I still don't want to go back Tuesday. This week is going to be nuts.

I had a good time in Seattle. It really is a great place even if half of it smells like piss. We stayed in lower queen anne at an Airbnb that apparently we had to keep quiet about because it's not very kosher with the building. The building was nice and quiet. It was perfect for me and had fantastic views. We were walking distance to some major attractions or took the bus/train to further out places. Locals complain how crappy their public transit is, and here we were basking in it's glory considering Detroit really sucks when it comes to public transit. We have a stupid train that goes in a circle or another one that goes back and forth in one area. The bus is not always reliable. I would love to give up my car for public transit. I loved it. Anyway, we saw the Mo Pop, Chihuly garden and glass, the space needle from below because I hate heights, Pike place (which was way too crowded), wineries, breweries, Ballarod locks, UW, and Bainbridge Island. Bainbridge Island was probably my favorite. I hope we can go back again someday soon. We met up with an old friend and it was great to see her. I also met some new friends. PNW is really up my ally. It probably suits me more, but my husband would never move there. Plus we'd probably never find jobs out there let alone afford a place to live.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:55 pm 

In Aus you get at least 4 weeks if you are full time. My husband has at lest two years of leave saved up, but if he wanted/needed to if he took his annual leave, sick leave (it gets rolled over) and his 10 year long service leave he could have 6 months off.
The hard part for the last few years has been even though he has the leave he has been pushed not to take it. He put in that he wanted to take some time off a few years ago, he gave 3 months notice, was approved and was all set. The Thursday of his last week before he went away for 2 weeks, he was told he couldn't take the time off they wanted him there the next Wednesday. Something like this has been happening for the last 3/4 years.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:28 am 

It is so muggt that one of my resident grey squirrels can't be arsed to give me my usual scolding. Instead of sitting on this tree branch and barking whilst flapping his tail at me, he's sprawled out on the branch, tail limp, looking like the very picture of "heat exhaustion". He's still barking at me though. They have plenty of water, so I am sure he's fine. He either had a rough night, or he's not a fan of the heat either.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:51 am 

^^^ We're having the same heat wave here. It's been in the 90's everyday for the past several days, and it looks like it's holding on for a while.

What's worse is when we went to Ireland, we checked the weather for a couple of weeks, and it was low 50's overnight, low 70's during the day, but two days after we got there...high 80's and even a bump into the 90's. Locals were telling us how it hasn't been hot like that for 50 years.

No A/C, either. Not in the car, not in the pubs/restaurants. We have that subconscious American expectation that when it's hot out and you open the door to a shop or a pub, you'll be greeted with a blast of arctic air. Not there. We'd open the door and it was like a stagnant wall of heat pouring back out. Walking to our table felt like walking through hot chowder.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:45 am 

^^I’m enduring that same heat wave with you guys. It’s a billion degrees out and about 400% humidity. I have AC in the house, thank FSM, but I wanted to do so much yard work this weekend. We’re refinishing our wooden patio table, so I’ve been using an electric sander on it the past few days. Feeling sweat running down the inside of your respirator is not the most pleasant feeling in the world.

At least I’m making progress on the table. It’s not ready to be stained/sealed yet, but it’s a lot closer to it.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 902 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 791 Next