The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:19 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous 145 46 47 48 4953 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:22 am 

^^^ Regardless of your travel stress, have a great time!

I've mentioned before that I'm a terrible day-of traveler. Great once I get there, but getting there is a killer. You have my sympathy and understanding. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:45 am 

^^Where are you visiting in Canada, Ms PH?

I hear you on the travel stress. I'm generally and OK traveler, but I'm always super stressed until we get to our gate at the airport. Once we arrive at the gate, I'm generally OK because it's out of my control at that point. Luckily husband likes to get to the airport super early so we usually have at least 2 hours once we find our gate to eat, get a drink, relax, etc.

The trip we're taking this year doesn't involve flying, we just have to worry about getting stuck in traffic for that one...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:08 am 

Flying Las Vegas to Calgary today. Visiting Banff, Yoho, Jasper National Parks. It's 100F and sunny in Vegas, 50F and raining in Calgary. :)

We're heading to the airport now. Flight is at 1pm. Should be enough time. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:08 am 

Thanks MrsPH. I'm staying with my sister "for now" as I transition back to living in MN so duty will continue but I'll have help now that they're home.

Enjoy your trip to Canada!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:25 pm 

There are green caterpillars feasting on my dill plants. I googled them and discovered that they will grow into gorgeous black swallowtail butterflies. I can’t kill them now, those butterflies are so pretty. They have done a fair amount of damage to the dill, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

Enjoy your time in my neck of the woods, Mrs PH! The weather is supposed to be a little yucky all week. You might run into snow in the parks, which will be a change from Las Vegas, at least!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:51 pm 

Quote:
There are green caterpillars feasting on my dill plants. I googled them and discovered that they will grow into gorgeous black swallowtail butterflies. I can’t kill them now, those butterflies are so pretty. They have done a fair amount of damage to the dill, though.
We always plant extra dill and parsley for the caterpillars, and we plant milkweed specifically for it to be eaten by the monarch caterpillars. Last year we had a stinkbug invasion, and they killed quite a few of my caterpillars, so I moved them inside. I even bought screened enclosures for the two sets of caterpillars, and had to harvest milkweed and dill/parsley for them each morning and afternoon. It was a lot of work, but seeing them emerge from the chrysalises was fascinating. If you watch the caterpillars, you might see where they go to make their chrysalises. Then you can keep an eye on them to watch them turn into butterflies. Enjoy your swallowtails!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:27 pm 

^^Planting a proper butterfly/pollinator garden is on my to-do list, but I just haven’t had the time. I kinda want to transform the front yard into a haven for pollinators, butterflies, and bumblebees (except for the carpenter bee that appears to have made a home in my cedar siding), I just never seem to have the time. I’m hoping to do a little bit every year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:49 am 

^^^ I planted a few milkweed seeds from a "Save The Monarchs" campaign a few years ago. It took a couple of years for them to really take off, but we were awash in them last year, and had a bumper crop of monarchs as a result.

They all put their little chrysalises either up under the decking, all along the edge, or hanging from the bottom edge of the vinyl siding on the house. They looked like little paper lanterns.

I had to mow them back a bit this year, as they spread like crazy.

I also planted some perennial bulbs, just a variety pack that cost $10, and I don't know what popped up, but the bees and butterflies are nuts for them.

We also saw our first-ever hummingbird clearwing month. About the size of the end of my index finger, and looks like a fuzzy little flying lobster.

Attachments:
2E3B31F8-3537-4667-8EED-996D9E2CFB29.jpeg
2E3B31F8-3537-4667-8EED-996D9E2CFB29.jpeg [ 68.68 KiB | Viewed 131 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:36 am 

^^^CO, that is really cool. We planted milk weed two years ago and now have a lot more Monarchs in our yard. Nothing compared to what you've experienced, tho.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous 145 46 47 48 4953 Next