The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:24 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous 144 45 46 47 4853 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:16 pm 

@CO
Give them some Epsom salts, works a treat. Dissolve a tablespoon in a gallon of water, or just mix some in with the muck.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

It's a terrible first world problem to have, but I have some spare money. When our management team bought out my company three years ago, they put in a retention bonus scheme - the longer you stayed, the more you got. With the sale this week, they paid all that money out. So I now have a fairly good chunk of change I have to do something with.

I already have a bunch of investments, a lot of them through my bank, some I left in NZ when I moved, and a life insurance policy that will pay me out when I turn 65. I'm really not sure what to do with this one. I am getting an investment plan with the new company (as they're giving us RRSP matching, so I'd be silly not to take advantage of their free money), so I'm thinking I may just stash it in there and forget about it.

Even though I'm an accountant, studying investments bores me and makes my head spin.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:01 am 

^^^ That's definitely a good "problem" to have! We went through a bit of that when the wife's mom died and unexpectedly left her a decent amount of money.

We put most of it in our retirement accounts, then opened some other kind of account that we have access to, but it takes a few days to get money out of it (thus encouraging us to leave it alone), and the last little bit paid for our Suffolk break, because we did that all first class and rented a house and all that.

We're both firm believers in treating yourself a bit when you get a windfall like that.

LaT - thanks, I'll try that!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:46 am 

It's our 29th anniversary today. Had a lovely dinner last night at Bazaar Meat (Jose Andres) - not a kid in the place, and we had the added bonus of being sat in a smaller room which cut down on the noise. We were able to chat about some major stuff like retirement - not so much goals as expectations. DH says he'll be happy to just sit around the house and mess with his boat, but he knows I'll get cranky if I'm stuck home with him. It's so nice to be able to talk about that kind of stuff (even over a very expensive dinner) without worrying that he'll get offended if I tell him his idea of retirement bliss will be hell for me after about 3 weeks... :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:54 pm 

^^^ Congrats! Our 29th was last month.

We talk about retirement a lot. We have very specific plans, and contingencies, like a Best Plan (we somehow become incredibly wealthy), Realistic Plan (we're mildly comfortably off), and Worst Plan (Trump tanks the economy and causes WWIII in the offing).

How many parents have a retirement plan that's, "I don't know, my kids'll take care of me, I guess." - plenty? No thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:18 pm 

Dogs are children.
I'm staying with my sister right now, she's out of town. I'm taking care of the 13 year old greyhound and epileptic husky.
This morning, the greyhound barked because she soiled her bed. I got her up, watered, peed outside and was wheelbarrowing her back inside when the husky started screaming bloody murder. I called into work, have no idea what was wrong with the husky, but I do know she had two seizures 5 hours later.
I'm more traumatized than they are. It's taking a toll on me today, and I'll be better when my sister gets home tonight...
I can't imagine not being here to take care of all this, but it's still hard.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:34 pm 

AnotherFool - poor pups... I hope the rest of your stay went OK.

Expecting an insane week at work with it being a short week and the first of the month... So I packed my suitcase today, bar a couple of things. Now I have three days to obsess over whether I've packed too much/not enough clothes, the right clothes, etc. Will I look a mess? Will anyone care? It's going to be cool and wet, we're hiking...Ack! It doesn't help that I have DH's hiking boots in my case (it's bigger) - they're bulky and heavy... Ugh. I wish I could be one of these pulled-together folks on TV...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:16 am 
Site Admin

I've read that hormone replacement therapy as a trans woman can make your feet get smaller (which is fine because size 13 women's shoes are a pain to find, especially since Payless went away). I thought it was bullshit but I discovered two pairs of shoes in the past couple days (including the ones I'm wearing right now) that are now too big. Maybe I ought to start looking at size 12 when I go shoe shopping now. If I can get down to 11 I can shop at normal shoe stores. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:12 pm 

^^^ I'd never heard that before, that's pretty interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:25 am 

Leaving for Canada this morning. This week at work was insane, but I got through. I'm packed, but my brain keeps cycling back to obsess over my clothes choices (practicality, not coordination - I gave up on that). I got up at 5.30 (my usual work time) to wash my hair (hate washing it while travelling) and managed to soak myself and half the bath towels in the process. Now I'm drinking tea and listening to my stomach making disturbing noises because of all the stress this week, and because I'm travelling.

If I don't make it back on while we're gone (intermittent wifi/cell access), everyone have a safe 4th!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous 144 45 46 47 4853 Next