The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:16 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 146 47 48 49 50
 Post subject: Re: Daily Rant Part 1
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:30 am 

Week 15 of this endless strict lockdown. I am so tired of it. They loosened up several very densely populated areas of Santiago and some malls opened, which got mobbed with people, but in our rural area, I can't even go for a walk in my neighborhood. It seems like the squeaky wheel gets the grease as they say. The mayors of those areas were always on TV, putting pressure on the government.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:10 pm 

Work related rant, so apologies if in the wrong place.

Last week, our receptionist was laid off. Since then, the truth about how little she was actually working has come to light - 95% of her emails are about shopping, for a start. I knew she was a flake as I was having to pick up her slack, but I had no idea how bad it was. Then things blew up today.,,

We have a master Contact list for our main office - almost 4,000 records in size. This thing has been around for years, and is supposed to include all contacts, from vendors to clients to the bank etc. Everyone has access to it, but (for Office 365 reasons) it lives on my Desktop. If anything needs updating or removing, folks can do it themselves or they were supposed to ask the receptionist to do it.

Today I found out that she had been asked by one of the Principals to create a new list of his contacts... except she copied the master list and updated only HER version... and didn't tell anyone else. This Principal is insisting that this new list is the new Master... but 40 other people have been working in the old one. To add insult to injury, she deleted it on August 31st, so I'm working off a backup that our IT guy managed to get. So now I have two Master lists, both now different, and no way to get them back to one without spending HOURS manually reviewing an 8,000 line CSV file, then manually updating.

I'm pissed... I want to cry... FML

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Oh yay, isn't that fun?

If it's a CSV file you should be able to just do a compare between the two though, and then work with the differences. I do this a lot with account reconciliations, and if you can use vlookup, it should be pretty easy. Someone with Excel skills should be able to do that pretty fast for you.

Good luck - that sounds like a crappy job.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:05 pm 

That's the plan, Ali. I pulled the CSVs for both, color coded them, then made another page with them merged and alphabetised. Unfortunately, the selections that were downloaded weren't the best, but it;s all I can work with. It's such a waste of my time, and he's giving me major attitude about it, but I'm not letting him win. At worst, I will keep "his" list and share it with him only, and correct the master as best I can.

Of course, I already have another big spreadsheet (maybe a csv) of client and vendor records to review this weekend for a big Database migration at the beginning of this year... My eyes are gonna be shot.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:25 pm 

They are running ads on TV here asking for donations to our children’s hospital. (It’s a really good hospital, anyone I know who has had a childhood serious injury/illness has been treated there and they’ve all received excellent care).

The music that they have chosen for this ad is a bunch of children’s voices singing “Hurt”. Yes, the Trent Reznor/Nine Inch Nails song. What the ever-loving fuck? That’s not an appropriate song for children’s hospital fundraising! It’s a song about drug addiction!

They did edit the line “everyone I know goes away in the end”, but removing one line does not change the meaning of the song! It’s a song about addiction and despair and abandonment. It is not a song about hope and triumph and overcoming adversity. It’s a song that is the exact opposite of the message they presumably are trying to send!

Did whoever decided to use this song in the ad ever actually listen to the lyrics?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:33 am 

^^ I think that advertisers and the like don't ever look at the intent or big picture when they use a song. Same for movie soundtracks.

They also overuse the same dozen or so songs...how many movies use Steppenwolf's "Born to Be Wild", Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah", Sarah McLachlan's "Angel", or "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong?? Those aren't bad songs, but they're used as a lazy, obvious way of telegraphing characters' intentions or the general feeling of the situation rather than writing good dialogue and/or character development.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:11 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Did whoever decided to use this song in the ad ever actually listen to the lyrics?
This is like the people who comment on tweets by Tom Morello and Serj Tankian and say they need to stop being political and just make music. And I'm like "Bro, have you actually listened to Rage Against the Machine or System of a Down?".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:57 am 

Using "Fortunate Son" at a Trump rally is my favorite. John Fogerty was like "WTF?!?"

So I went to a new doctor because the old one retired. I was telling him about my joints, and he was like "(sigh) Let me guess... fibromyalgia?" He said it in a pretty condescending way. I said, "Nope, what I have is real, which is why I take meds for it. Called rheumatoid arthritis. You can't fake it." He was a bit surprised by my answer, and while I think "fibro" is bunk, do not assume that I am just malingering like other women. Then he wanted to change my meds to something new, and I said no. They work, and I will stay on them or find a new doctor.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:00 am 

What the actual fuck with "Hurt" for a children's, or any, hospital commercial? It doesn't even sound uplifting. They might as well have picked something by Ministry.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 146 47 48 49 50