The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:44 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous 181 82 83 84 85 Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

I flung open the door to the dishwasher in the lunch room, and didn't get my leg out of the way first. I've taken the skin off all down one shin, and it bled like a mofo. And now I have blood on my nice sandals too. FML.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:16 am 

Was making French baguettes for supper (for steak sandwiches), with the last of my proper French bread flour. They were rising on top of the cooker, covered with a tea towel. Turned on the oven to heat, came back downstairs ten minutes later to find Prudence the cat asleep on top of the now flat breads.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:10 pm 

^^That is such a typical cat thing to do! :lol:

So we got a bidet a few months ago - I’ve wanted one for a while. It’s a Toto Washlet, and it’s basically the Rolls-Royce of bidets. Heated water, heated seat, air dryer, front/back wash...it’s awesome. I love it.

Right now we’re at the cottage. There’s no bidet here. Wiping my butt with toilet paper feels so uncivilized.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:51 pm 

I aggravated my SI joint again. Now I have to sit on this ass pad that's like an inflatable frisbee made out of exercise ball material. It's either that, or stand. I am going to have to order a second one for the office, as this working from both places made me forget the ass pad at home today. The solution was a seriously redneck-engineered standing desk.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:33 am 
Site Admin

The news channel here is making me nuts right now. If I have to listen to one more parent bleating about how the government is not doing enough to keep their precious crotchfruit safe, I'm going to scream. As always, it's all about them, but you can bet that if they started getting bills for all the extra teachers and air conditioning upgrades and free masks and whatever the fuck else they're demanding, they'd be screaming even louder.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:21 pm 

My first world problem: I busted my ass at work this week, it was super-stressful, and now I have a three-day weekend. On work days I get up at six. I was SO stoked about sleeping in today.

So naturally my brain decided that FIVE AFTER FIVE is the time to wake up for keeps, no going back to sleep.

Dammit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:15 pm 

^I hate it when that happens!

Today I went out for my first bike ride in about 3 weeks (no real reason I haven’t been riding, just got lazy). Now my knee (but only one of them) is super-sore. Ow!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:06 am 

Health insurance woes:

Went to the doc, whom I haven't seen since October. Found out my doc sold the practice to a health network and left. Whatever.

Nurse went to take my blood, then stopped and said, "Who's your insurance with?"

I told her and she stopped, explaining, "Blood draws by us aren't covered, you'll need to go to the hospital." So they did the rest of the exam, wrote me out a slip for blood work, and off I went to the hospital.

Now, a month later, I got a whopping $500 bill for the lab work. That's the entrance to health insurance phone hell.

First call, to the lab who did the testing: "You need to call your insurance. They denied one of the tests."

Second call, to my insurance: "You need to call your doctor, they coded it wrong."

Third call, to my doctor: "You need to call our billing service, they're the ones who coded it."

Fourth call, to the billing service: "Our computers are down, call back Monday."

Fifth call, to the billing service: "Your doctor hasn't been cleared to do blood draws through your insurance yet. We're just getting that set up. Wait a month and see if you get another bill for less."

:roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:55 am 
Site Admin

^^^ Just ridiculous. I'm sure sometimes they deliberately make the process as painful as possible, so that people would rather pay the bill than deal with the hassle.

I remember getting an ear infection when I was travelling, and having to go to the doc to have my ear syringed out and get some antibiotics. When I got home I asked for a claim form from the insurer, and it was five pages long. I thought then that most people would look at it and decide they couldn't be bothered. Nice scam.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:48 am 

^^^ We have Anthem/Blue Cross, which we're generally happy with, but back when we had Humana, I was completely convinced that what you say is true.

For the year that we had them, every single thing we were billed for had a problem, either overbilled or double-billed. Every. Single. Time.

The routine was always the same: call Humana, get told there was some kind of admin error, then they'd reprocess the claim, and everything would be fine. I became convinced that they were sending bills out first, just to see who'd pay them without questioning it. Considering that a single office visit, if it involved blood draws or X-Rays, would result in three or four bills anyway (one from the doc, one from the technician, one from the analyst, etc), it was very easy to get lost in a maze of, "Did I pay this?"

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous 181 82 83 84 85 Next