The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:42 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 788 posts ]  Go to page Previous 175 76 77 78 79
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

I woke up about 1am this morning wondering where the light was coming from, and I could see the outline of the door to the garage at the end of the room. Goddamit, I must have left the light on when I was out there last night. So I get up to turn it off, and the garage door is wide open, and it's the light from the door opener that's woken me up.

What the hell. I know that was closed last night, because I put a bunch of stuff that I was using to work on the mountain bike back out there before I went to bed. I would have noticed then if it had been open. Okay, THAT's weird. So I close it and go back to bed.

Today I came home from a morning hike with friends, and I'm sitting eating lunch when the garage door goes up. Roomie must be home, cool. I keep eating, but after about five minutes nobody's come in. So I go to look. Garage door wide open, nobody in sight.

I can only think that someone's installed a new door opener that just happens to have the same frequency as ours, but given that my room is right off the garage, I'm not super happy about the door randomly going up at all hours. I'll have to ask the roomie to recode his remotes when he gets home. Given that he chewed me out about security the other night when I went out and forgot to lock my ranch slider at the back, I don't think he'll be super happy about this.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:55 pm 

^^Hope you can get it figured out soon. I’m paranoid about making sure my garage is closed because of my bikes that are stored in there. None of them are super-expensive, but they’re good bikes, and - even though I feel silly about it - I have an emotional attachment to some of them. They’ve carried me through some pretty fun adventures.

My FWP for today is that when I did click & collect for groceries, I inadvertently bought the “club size” package of hummus. That’s almost a full kilo of hummus. I have spent the past month and a half trying to eat my way through a massive package of hummus - I have until the end of May before it hits its expiration date.

I love hummus, but this is seriously testing my limits...

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:56 pm 

^I ate an entire large size roasted red pepper hummus in two days. I ate an entire container of the Sabra Mediterranean hummus in one day. I really need to start making it myself, as I spend a fortune on hummus.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:13 pm 

Herb - Take your remote out front and see whose garage door opens. :) we've had similar issues, but with remotes for lights, etc. We'd come home to find all the kitchen lights full on in the middle of the day. I started turning them on and off again and whoever's been using that signal must have changed it.

Jessica - ours has been dying. There's a repair man coming tomorrow to replace the main pump. Going to cost $500. A new one of this line is over $1,000 plus tax, delivery and installation, and I don't like the layout of the inside. Keeping my fingers crossed that we get a few more years out of it, so I have time to shop for a replacement properly.

Oh, I LOVE hummus, especially the Red Pepper. I could just sit and eat it out of the tub. Mind you, I will pay the price later - it's on my "occasional" list. But I've now found out you can freeze it... https://www.thespruceeats.com/can-you-f ... us-2356020

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:07 am 

^I also love hummus, but this is testing even my limits! I have also been known to finish a tub of hummus in a day (husband and I were camping, we sat down to have some as a snack, and then suddenly the whole tub was gone...no idea how that happened...)

Hummus is easy to make, it's just a matter of finding a recipe you like. Usually all you need to do to make it is toss all your ingredients in a food processor and give it a whirl until it's smooth. Even then, I usually buy hummus because I'm lazy.

I have two FWP for today: the first is that every time my computer goes to sleep when I'm working from home, when I wake it up I have to click the button to reconnect to the VPN. Poor me.

My second is that I forgot to feed my sourdough starter last night, so the timing for baking bread today is all messed up. I might end up with a nice fresh loaf of bread at 9 pm.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:12 pm 

My husband gave me a new phone for my birthday. I'm trying to get used to doing certain things differently and waiting for my health data to completely restore to my new phone. I know the awards, streaks, and badges may seem silly with activity app with the apple watch, but I thought I had lost everything when transferring to the new phone. Then today the app began restoring everything. Things are back now. A few years ago I didn't give a crap.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:34 pm 

30 years ago, just before DH and I got married, I told him that I would never cut his hair for him (his Mother did at the time) and that, as he was a grown man he could go to the barber to get it done.

Today I had to cut his hair. It was due a cut when this whole thing started in March, but recently it was getting really insanely long - but not in a good way. I cut off about an inch, then we followed up with a trimmer-razor thing and took off another inch - he did some, I cleaned it up. The things we do in Pandemics...

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:41 pm 

I don't particularly care for Tom Cruise, nor did I think Top Gun was a fantastic movie, but I'm a bit disappointed that Top Gun: Maverick was pushed back to a December 2020 release date. I guess they want that theatre revenue, not that I was planning on seeing it in the theatre. I was totally planning on renting it when it came out on demand though, and now that will be six months later than it would have been.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 788 posts ]  Go to page Previous 175 76 77 78 79