The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:08 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:19 pm 

Quote:
I was at the pet store yesterday to buy food for the kitties and there was this little girl there who was maybe 5 and just whiny as hell. It did my head in.
Sounds like my niece-in-law. This kid is eight, and she will whine and pout the very moment she thinks she won't get her way. But it's really her family's fault. They give in to her to make her be quiet, so of course, she keeps doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:44 am 

Another example of how parenting ages you - it’s a new school year, so students are back in class at the university where I work. I’ve been doing outreach via booths at fairs and so on over the past couple weeks.

Every single one, I’ve been asked some variation of “What year are you in?” or “Are you a student?”. I just turned 36 and I’m still mistaken for a student regularly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:33 pm 

Here's a few:

1.Not being able to understand many children when they talk.

I have a very hard time understanding children sometimes and it seems to get worse if they're upset or anxious about something. This of course gets me some angry glares from parents who think I'm being a jerk if I ever have to ask a kid to repeat themselves or say "calm/slow down" because it feels like the high pitched words are all running together in a nasally blur. This is already frowned upon despite the kids not being my own, but I can easily picture a kid growing up with a complex/issue because "mommy" never understood them if I had a kid.

2. Interacting with kids becomes draining after just a few hours for me.

Sure, I can make a few funny faces to the baby/toddler who's starting to quietly fuss in public in order to avoid listening to them cry/scream their lungs out for a few minutes while standing in line. I feel like I am a capable aunt when it comes to entertaining a niece or nephew for a few hours because their parents are taking care of the diaper changes/cleaning/food preparation, but I get to a certain point and I feel drained afterwards because most little kid things are extremely repetitive and get really old quickly.

3. A fear of finally being exhausted enough to just sleep through the babies cry.

I know I have a limit as to how far I can push through things and not have sufficient sleep. Parents are expected to just keep going to watch over the children into the night no matter how tired they may be. I am afraid that if I did become a parent, knowing my sleep situation, I would get to a certain number of weeks and finally just not wake up when something needed to be taken care of. Then a CPS officer would show up the next morning, knock on the door and ask "Ma'am, why is their a dead baby in the house?" It wouldn't be for lack of trying, but I would hit my limit and that wouldn't be a good thing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:17 pm 

All of these...
https://cheezburger.com/9285893/kids-be ... -14-images

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:39 pm 

^^Preferdogs, I’m the same with not understanding children when they talk. So often, a kid will say something, and the parent will answer, and I’m like, how the hell can anyone understand what that kid just said? I’ve also had times when a kid has said something to me, and my response is “Umm...” while staring at the parent and hoping they’ll translate for me. So annoying.

I’m glad it’s not just me who has this problem!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:13 am 

I have never once listened to the "Baby Shark" song. I did once hear a heavy metal cover (it was on a Spotify playlist of metal covers) but I have never once listened to the original.

Every single parent I know hates the song with a passion and bitches about how it gets stuck in their heads and they can't escape it. Not me!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:13 pm 

I can totally relate on the "Baby Shark" thing. I am SO glad I don't get involuntarily subjected to Disney crap, the Wiggles, Dora Explorer, etc. I remember a few years ago when Frozen came out, adults were apparently sick to death of the soundtrack...I've never seen the movie, don't know any of the songs, and am so GLAD for that.

The music, movies, food, art, and atmosphere of my house is always ADULT and I wouldn't have it any other way.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:46 am 

I bought this (delivered today), an outrageous amount of money....but sooooo cute. However I can afford it and it wont be treated like a toy and destroyed, all because I don't have kids :D

Attachment:
Cows!__1573904547_51.7.202.6.jpg
Cows!__1573904547_51.7.202.6.jpg [ 8.01 KiB | Viewed 58 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:02 am 

^^^ Those are cute!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:41 pm 

Sleep. Really, that's one of my primary reasons. I love to nap.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next