The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:31 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1031 posts ]  Go to page Previous 188 89 90 91 92104 Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:38 am 

^^^ The wife just went through what was essentially cataract surgery, with a little extra thrown in. The surgery wasn't bad at all, she said, and the recovery has been non-eventful. The worst part has been her obsessing over the whole thing, and it cost us about two months of not doing much, because of the post-op restrictions.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:38 pm 

I'm planning on making Chicago-style hot dogs tomorrow, and my usual source for sport peppers and funky blue-green relish stopped carrying them.

Luckily, on a lark, I checked the little gourmet grocery store I go to, and not only did they have some, but they had poppy seed buns, baked in-store no less.

Yes!

Attachments:
2E1E54AC-E895-485A-BD89-381CD53E0B7F.jpeg
2E1E54AC-E895-485A-BD89-381CD53E0B7F.jpeg [ 186.51 KiB | Viewed 494 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:55 pm 

My dad's wife is going through some thing right now where she needs to have injections in her eyeball. Scary stuff, but I imagine cataracts is more common. Plus in 10 years who knows how simple it could all be?

So far I'm very fortunate to not need glasses, though I'm sure the day will come eventually.

Great find, CO! I'm in the mood for thai but the place close to home is closes sundays. Guess I'll have to get my fix another day

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:25 pm 

"Sport Peppers"... funny name... :)

The surgery idea didn't bother me until DH pointed out that I'd probably have to be awake... Shudder... Hopefully, not. Still, I'll be super-diligent about wearing my sunglasses outside from now on.

One of these weeks, I hope to arrive at Friday morning feeling as human as I do on Sunday night, and not the exhausted lump of patheticity that I was this weekend. I got hardly anything done. Thankfully, DH doesn't mind. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:36 am 

^^^ Yeah, you do have to be awake, but it's not as gruesome as it sounds. Believe me, my wife (like a lot of people) is really freaked out by the idea of touching her eyeball with anything, and she was scared shitless going in, but even in the recovery room, immediately after surgery, she said it wasn't a big deal at all.

They do give you a Valium because they want you to generally be in a calm state when they work on you, but the procedure itself is about 15 minutes per eye.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:19 am 

Quote:
I will probably have to have surgery in 10 years or so, depending on how they progress. Ugh...
I had cataract surgery in both eyes this year--one in April and the other in July--and I'm over the moon with the results. It's really nothing to be worried about: the procedure is simple and painless, and takes about 10 minutes. The idea of someone futzing around with your eye is scary, but it turns out to be really easy. I was nervous before the first time, but was eagerly looking forward to the second. The worst part is staring into a really bright light, but by the time 10 seconds pass, you're already used to it.

If you have it done in ten years' time, the technologies involved will be even more advanced than they are now, and it may be possible to get excellent multifocals by then.

I have one eye set for distance and the other with a focal length of about 18 inches, so I can function well in everyday life without glasses. If needed, I can get glasses for driving and another set for reading, but so far everything has been wonderful. I haven't been able to see distant things clearly without glasses since I was about 11, so it's a brand new experience after 40+ years of nearsightedness. I feel like a kid again!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:41 pm 

When that 4 Non Blondes song "What's Up" first came out, I was like, "Cool, this is a really good song, and her vocals are admirable". After it was played every 30 minutes, I was like, "Not this damn song again...." Fast forward close to 30 years, and I have even more appreciation for Linda Perry's vocals than I did back then. I guess with all the crap vocalists we've been treated to over the past few decades (Britney Spears, Kelly Clarkson, and the worst - Katy Perry), Linda Perry's vocals seem that much better. Listening to it now, she's like a female version of Chris Cornell.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:11 am 
Site Admin

One of my most enduring memories from Italy is going on the obligatory sunset gondola ride in Venice. Cruising down some back waterway and our gondolier was singing a bunch of random songs, when he segued into a pretty passable version of "What's Up".

One of the girls in the front said "4 Non Blondes? That's not very traditional".

The guy frowned, shrugged his shoulders, and busted out a totally hammed-up version of "Solo Mia" instead. We laughed hard. It was awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:35 am 

We have had one of the WORST summers here in the UK. Cool, grey, wet. Two hot days last month, and that was it. A real disappointment after last year, where it was gloriously perfect week after week -- the best summer in the 30+ years I've been here.

The real annoyance in all this is that having lost a tonne of weight, I was looking forward to wearing some of the nice summer dresses that have been sat in the back of the wardrobe for some time. And I have had zero opportunity.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:22 am 

Quote:
where it was gloriously perfect week after week --
It that another way of saying it was stinking hot, sweaty, humid, miserable as sin, went on interminably and brought a whole new meaning to 'scorched earth'? :D

I hated last summer, it was misery on a stick for me.... but this summer, pah, what a washout. It's August and I'm having the heating on already and all my plants are suffering from root rot because there's been that much rain. I've re-planted my baskets and troughs 3 times because they were waterlogged and everything died! :(

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1031 posts ]  Go to page Previous 188 89 90 91 92104 Next