The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:53 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1822 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1179 180 181 182 183 Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:02 am 

I've been AirBnBing my guest rooom for about four years now. Just got a booking for New Year's Eve. At first I thought, bummer, I thought I had blocked that date off, so I was going to decline it. Plus a new user with no review! But then I realised I never do anything New Year's Eve anyway, so why not? I sort of didn't want someone staggering in pissed to the gills, but I looked the guy up, he's a retired optician coming from about three hours away, so I guess is likely to be reasonably well-behaved.

Anyone else have exciting plans for New Year's?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

Going to bed early, like I usually do, lol. I figure that the new year will get here whether I stay up or not, so I'm happy to catch up on sleep.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:02 am 

It’s super windy here today. I was just sitting in the living room minding my own business when I heard a thud and looked up and my neighbour’s fence has blown over! They replaced it same time as we did ours (2010ish?) so it’s not even that old.

Now I’m just hoping that mine stays upright…

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:03 pm 

My bro and his wife just bought a house in a city a little over an hour from here. On the one hand, I’m really happy that they’re buying a place!

On the other hand, I’m bummed that they’re going to be so far away and I probably won’t see them as often. Real estate prices here are completely bonkers, so they had to buy where they could afford - I get that. I’m just selfishly a little sad that it will be a much longer drive to visit. We haven’t been able to see them much these past two years cause of covid. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:21 am 

Housing prices are out of control in most places, it seems. We signed the papers on this house on New Year's Eve 2018. Prices in this area have gone up so much in just three years that we would not be able to afford this house of we bought right now. A house a few doors over sold and it was listed for almost double what we paid. I am not sure if the buyer paid the asking, but I am pretty sure she paid a lot more than we did. Banks are also tightening their loan requirements and interest rates are rising.

We had to move out of the capital to afford anything decent. In retrospect, that was not a bad thing. Santiago has become increasingly unlivable. There is still a lot of graffiti and damage from the the protests and riots. Then, with the pandemic, a lot of restaurants and pubs we enjoyed going to shut down. Violent crime is also on the rise. Several friends that still live there have commented that they feel less safe.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:46 pm 

I think I dodged a cop and a speeding ticket yesterday. I was speeding, and a state trooper pulled out and hit hit lights as I went by. Before he caught up, I passed a tractor-trailer in the middle lane, moved to the next lane over, and dropped back. I saw the cop up ahead, and he kinda just held speed and then killed his lights. I slowed and hid behind the tractor-trailer for a few miles. The whole time I was wishing my RAV4 was nondescript silver instead of red.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:39 pm 

My coworker sent us all an email to announce that her sprog was born. She included some photos with the message.

Holy shit, it is seriously the weirdest looking baby I think I’ve ever seen. Newborns normally look kinda weird, but this one take it to a whole new level. It honestly creeps me out a bit. Hope for the kid’s sake it starts to look more normal as it ages.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I think I dodged a cop and a speeding ticket yesterday.
Lucky you. I got super busted last month - I was heading out bastard o'clock early to referee at a weightlifting comp, in a part of town I don't normally frequent, via a road I don't normally use. I was running a bit late, driving a bit fast, and I got nailed by a very well hidden speed camera. In the dark it lit up like armageddon and I knew straight away that was going to sting. $156. I used a very rude word.

I've dodged a couple though - I've been flashed twice when I had my bike on the back carrier, and I know the back wheel covered my plate. So I guess the universe owed me that one ...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:42 am 

OMG - I was going through a box of old electronics and I found my Game Boy, the original monochrome screen one. I put batteries in it, and *IT STILL WORKS*. Fired right up with Tetris, the game that made my dad say, "Turn off the music or you are walking the rest of the way", on a car trip to South Carolina way back in the day. I think we were only an hour into the trip at the time :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:31 pm 

One advantage of getting older: any of my peers that do have kids are past the baby/little kid stage. I didn't realize this until maybe a couple years ago, but nearly all my childed friends' kids are older now. Most of their kids are teens and old enough to be left alone while their parents go do their thing, and the parents are not super into their kids' every move anymore. They're back into old hobbies and discovering new ones. They have time to talk about things, go on trips, etc. It's been nice.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1822 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1179 180 181 182 183 Next