The Childfree Life

When having it all, means not having kids
It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:16 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: medical abortion
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:38 am 

All,

I'm not really sure why I'm posting this but I guess it's a story I wanted to share.

I'm 44 years old.

After an entire lifetime of successfully avoiding pregancy... in spite of uterine fibroids and uterine embolism... in spite of my older age and in spite of being careful, about 5 weeks ago I found out I was pregnant.

I was stunned. My age alone should have made this unlikely (although i realize it's not impossible). But.. I watch my cycle like a hawk, and after being about a week late and experiencing some other symptoms, I bought and took a test. Pregnant. I could not believe it, but there it was.

I was completely freaked out but knew I could not be more then a few weeks along. I found out on a Tuesday night.

The following Friday (three days later) I had an appointment for a medical (pill) abortion. The doctor confirmed the pregnancy and the fact that it was extremely early (about a month along).

I read a ton of horror stories on the internet about pill abortions. Tales of horrific pain and rivers of blood. I'm here to tell you that, from a physical standpoint, it was actually no big deal at all. It was EASY, in fact. From an emotional standpoint, I had not even a moment of hesitation, I knew the second I saw the results that this would end up as an abortion, but I did fear the physical part of this. I guess I want to bring some comfort to any of the members here in case this happens to you: It was not bad at all. One pill was administered by the doctor and I took a second one the next day at home. The process took a few hours. It was not much worse then a crampy menstral cycle to be honest. It was over in a few hours and in two days I was hiking with the dog.

It's now been about 5 weeks and I have zero regrets, no physical or emotional effects from this, it was absolutely the right decision for me.

- Rowan

Post subject: Re: medical abortion
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:58 am 
Site Admin

Sorry that this happened to you - that must have been a shock. But yay for mifepristone. We can count ourselves lucky that we live somewhere where an unwanted accident of biology can be taken care of quickly and with zero drama.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:52 pm 

Sorry you had to go through that, Rowan - what rotten luck! I’m glad, though, that you were able to access the medical care you needed.

Also, it’s great to see you back on the site! Glad you found us.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:39 pm 

Rowan, happy to see you on the site again. You always have very well thought out, concise posts that I enjoy reading - even if I don't always agree with your POV.

I am sorry that you were in the position to need an abortion, but happy that it was taken care of quickly and easily with few side effects. thank you for sharing your story.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:53 am 

Thanks, AnotherFool,

I'm glad to see you make it back here as well!

My primary reason for posting the experience is I researched medical abortion myself right before going through it and a majority of the accounts were downright horrifying. They literally scared the daylights out of me. But in reality the experiance was... I hate to say it but here it is: Easy. I've felt worse due to illness many times. And doing this in the privacy of my own home kept it private and comfortable. From a physical perspective, it was a few hours of very tolerable discomfort, nothing more. So really I want to relieve the fears of anyone else that may need to go through the same thing.

Regards!

-Rowan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:04 pm 

Thanks for sharing your story, Rowan. Sorry you were in that position, but I'm glad you were able to take care of it and it worked well for you.

I know that "I don't regret my abortion" stories are not nearly as common as the "I regret my abortion" ones...probably because there's shame and stigma attached to it. LOTS of women have taken advantage of legal, safe abortions and have been relieved and glad to go on with their lives. I'd be willing to bet that an overwhelming majority of women who have abortions come down somewhere on the "don't regret" end of things. They just don't say anything because they don't want people to look at them like they're heartless.

Personally, I'd like to see a campaign where women are shown doing things/having the lives they would have been denied if they'd been stuck being a parent (and likely a single parent). Like a TV spot...shot of a woman graduating from college...turns to the camera, holds up her degree, and beams while saying, "Thanks, abortion!". Woman signs closing documents on her very own home, accepts the keys, and says, "Thanks, abortion!". Woman cheering after finding out she got a promotion..."Thanks, abortion!".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:34 pm 
BANNED

Congratulations on your abortion working out for you, Rowan! Indeed, you should really consider yourself lucky to have the necessary anatomy to always have this option at your disposal.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:17 pm 

Congratulations, Rowan, for sharing your experience of your abortion with us. Its really wonderful to hear from someone who has had such a positive experience! Its such a shame most women never share their abortion stories when the vast majority are terminating unwanted pregnancies with usually just minimal discomfort followed by relief. Thank you..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:01 pm 

I had an abortion 7 years ago. Once it was done, all I felt was relieved (other than when I threw up on the side of the road going home from the meds they gave me).

About 3 days after it, I climbed up the Statue of Liberty, which was just amazingly symbolic.

If I had kept it, I would have a 7 year old at this point. With everything going on now in 2020, all I can say is hell yes, right decision verified. Of course I've always known it was the right decision. Its always nice to get justification once again.